Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2018, 06:40 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,372,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
EBT is a form of currency not limited to SNAP.

The SNAP benefit will not pay for alcohol, prepared food, paper products, soaps and so on.
In TX a $200 prepared birthday cake can be bought with SNAP, I know, my co worker did it... and bragged about it.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:42 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
How do you force employers to give you the job?

I kept getting fired because of health problems God the "infallible Creator" inflicted on me. I didn't have a choice. I did the best I could with the body God condemned me to live with. Not my fault. I did everything I physically could to be hired and kept somewhere.

If God intended me to be an independent human then maybe He should have did a better job creating me.
Stephen Hawking does pretty well.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:43 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
In TX a $200 prepared birthday cake can be bought with SNAP, I know, my co worker did it... and bragged about it.
I’ve eaten shrimp stuffed snapper on the government dole. Thanks, taxpayers!

Old 02-12-2018, 06:45 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Slave Class? LAWL

Let's see. If someone was in prison would they rather....
  • be locked up in a cell all day
or
  • given the opportunity to go outside in the fresh air & sunshine to farm food for the prison.
Shouldn't be too hard to figure that one out.

(to answer your question ... it's you )
So...we make more and more things illegal, increase our prisons so they hold more and more, and then use that slave labor to compete against the work that free citizens do. Think this through.

If it was JUST making food for JUST the prison I might agree, but the reality is....we don't need businesses employing regular citizens to compete with jail based businesses with near free labor.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:52 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,036,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Nothing says smaller govt. than the govt. telling people what they can eat
Right-wing logic: the government can't regulate your guns, but they can regulate your marriage, sex life, religion, and now food... and not in the good way, lol!

There is also the ignorance in the classic right-wing notion that "welfare bums are spending all mah money on soda with food stamps!" That is simply incorrect:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0cf0ae88068fe

That being said, I'm naturally leery of anything "charitable" Trump proposes... let's just say he has a horrible record in that regard.

I wonder what'll be in these food boxes... and I wonder when we'll discover that they are basically dog food, etc. or some nonsense... Or the kick backs some cronies of his are getting, and so on. We're essentially saying that the poor shouldn't get to choose what they eat anymore: I can't imagine how that'll end badly.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:56 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I wonder what'll be in these food boxes... and I wonder when we'll discover that they are basically dog food, etc. or some nonsense... Or the kick backs some cronies of his are getting, and so on. We're essentially saying that the poor shouldn't get to choose what they eat anymore: I can't imagine how that'll end badly.
Or poor regulations allowing a bunch of them to get poisoned in a way that destroys livers, leading to the poor being killed off at a massive rate suddenly.

LOL.

Nah, most likely it will be the usual corruption. Maybe the Trump branded food box that one of his sons manages the underlying contracts and companies.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:01 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,036,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
how are milk, ready to eat cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned fruit, vegetables, and meat, poultry or fish 'trash foods'?
Now, now, we all know people only spend food stamps on soda and lobster tail - I'm sure I read that somewhere on some screwball right-wing website. Reality be danged, of course.

Seriously, how does anybody think this is a good idea? It's more government inefficiency, adds another layer of complexity and potential kickbacks and screwups, and literally solves no problem whatsoever. And this is coming from the "ain't nobody gonna tell me what to do!" crowd, who is now apparently fine with the government telling people what they can eat... provided it's "somebody else" being affected, of course.

If Obama had proposed this, the righties would have been up in arms about how wasteful this idea would be, how insane it is to get the government into food distribution, and how there's probably some kickbacks to some cronies who would package and distribute the food. But the moment Trump the Orange proposes this dumb idea, righties forget their small government stance AND Trump's horrible track record and think it's the greatest idea ever cuz "it'll make those welfare bums stop eating soda and lobster tail" or some delusional nonsense.

Partisan sell-outs.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:01 PM

7,825 posts, read 4,568,735 times
All right.... the return of Government Cheese !

Old 02-12-2018, 07:02 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,547,733 times
Most welfare people don't know how to cook except to microwave prepared food. Unless the food is already prepared, they'll throw it out. Do away with this type of welfare entirely.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:04 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,811,117 times
The idea is probably good in theory, I just have no faith in government to administer something like this any better than some of the other mismanaged programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies