Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 03:10 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
But you don't have a problem with someone choosing not to have health insurance buying their soda and getting diabetes and ending up needing a hand out......

Is it the soda or the handout or what?

Are you saying you are comfortable with the govt,. getting into the food distribution business?

You do realize the food stamp program is USDA program, right?

Old 02-13-2018, 03:19 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Nothing says smaller govt. than the govt. telling people what they can eat
I'm in favor of smaller government. But I'm also in favor of government saying what can be bought for food stamps provided by the government from our tax payers money.

It is nuts to see what items some were buying with food stamps under Obama.

People who get caught abusing the system should never be eligible to get any government entitlement.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:23 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,115,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
You do realize the food stamp program is USDA program, right?
Which is distribution of funds, not having to source & deliver actual food products, adding more layers to that program.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:25 AM

11,800 posts, read 5,801,446 times
I'm all for it - for the 3 months we were on food stamps 35 yrs ago - I bought the cheapest cuts of meat, pasta, peanut butter, veg, fruits, milk and juice- while I saw others buying steak, lobster, prepared dinners, cakes and snacks.

I thought back then that there should have been conditions on what one was allowed to buy. I would have rather it allowed you to buy toilet paper - and skip the high priced roasts and seafood.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:46 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
This is a great idea. Lot cheaper, too. I remember those blocks of cheese. Do we have food surpluses stored in warehouses? I think that was the case with the cheese before. Waste not, want not.
I remember those. My dad used to bring them home from work. People on assistance would go there to sell them so they could get cash.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:55 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
No one is chastising you for the financial hardship you are in. And no one is telling you what you can or cannot eat. What this bill is proposing is , if you take assistance this is what you get. Take it or leave it.

I would love to eat crab legs, lobster tails , and filets on a daily basis, washing it down with a $100 bottle of bourbon but guess what, i can't afford it. I eat what i can afford, and in the case of this, it is what you can afford.
You assume I eat like that, or even want to. I don't eat snooty rich people food, nor do I want to. I want to be able to shop, as I do now. Plan my own meals, and buy the ingredients for those meals. At the store. Like everyone else. I can't work. I will never be able to work. among the few things I can do for myself are shop for myself and cook for myself. Now some jackass in Washington wants to send me food in a box? What's next, cooking it and feeding it to me? I can shop for myself. I can buy my own food. If you're saying shopping for oneself is a privilege only for the upper classes, fine, take your SNAP back. I'll make do with what I get in Disability. I can make it work. The government loses hundreds of millions of dollars, and now they want to save money by coming up with this crap? How about saving money BY NOT LOSING IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:05 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Bite the hand that feeds eh?

Your entitled attitude and lack of gratitude towards those that pay to put food on your table is repulsive.
Should I live like Oliver Twist, begging for scraps to soothe your indignation?

Old 02-13-2018, 05:21 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
no one is forcing you what to eat, or telling you what to eat. they are giving you a free box of food for pete's sake
Only in America can someone complain about the free food they are getting. Here is a hint. The food is free. If you want better food, go out and buy it with your own money. Very simple concept.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:33 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Agreed. Watch the sales, and check out the meat department for things that have been marked down because they will expire in a day or two.

Anyone can do this, not just people on SNAP. Eating good, fresh food doesn't have to cost a lot of money if you shop wisely AND have access to a good grocery store. Of course, food deserts are another issue, one that is making convenience stores rich selling overpriced junk to people who have nowhere else to shop.

The thing that bugs me about this whole proposal, and a lot of the people who support it without question, is that I'm not at all sure it is so much about either savings or efficiency as it is about punishing the poor. So far, it seems like red meat, albeit canned, for the base.
IMO, this proposal isn't about the welfare of the poor at all.

It's about giving corporations a new market they wouldn't otherwise have. With the way it is now, with poor people exercising their choice in the market, corps don't have any special competitive edge. With this box proposal, now they do, with a direct pipeline to the taxpayers' pockets. What Trump and people like him see is a large pot of taxpayer money that they don't have first dibs on.

Raise your hand if you really think that every brand of, say, mac 'n cheese, will be represented in these boxes. Raise your hand if you think this situation wouldn't result in a lot of special deals under the table. Raise your hand if you think that the military contracting model is an excellent way to deliver government services.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:49 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
IMO, this proposal isn't about the welfare of the poor at all.

It's about giving corporations a new market they wouldn't otherwise have. With the way it is now, with poor people exercising their choice in the market, corps don't have any special competitive edge. With this box proposal, now they do, with a direct pipeline to the taxpayers' pockets. What Trump and people like him see is a large pot of taxpayer money that they don't have first dibs on.

Raise your hand if you really think that every brand of, say, mac 'n cheese, will be represented in these boxes. Raise your hand if you think this situation wouldn't result in a lot of special deals under the table. Raise your hand if you think that the military contracting model is an excellent way to deliver government services.
This all occurred to me, as well. The more I think about this proposal, the more I think it stinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies