Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2018, 10:00 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Do you know why soda is near top of the list? Because it can be resold easily and the cash used for alcohol/drugs/gambling.

Trumps plan will put a stop to that.
In the first place, how do you know that? MOST people in this country drink too much soda, not just people on SNAP. In the second place, it would be a lot simpler to just remove soda from the list of eligible items than to rework the entire system.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:09 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I guess the 'meat, poultry or fish' will have to be the canned type.
Thank you Trump! Back when SNAP was actually “food stamps”, I would watch high-fallutin Russian immigrants shop for groceries with their food stamps all the time. People in poverty should not eat better than working people.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
Agree. Go to Aldi or the dollar store on foodstamps and you can get quite a bit. Let’s not forget BOGO offers at the grocery store as well
Agreed. Watch the sales, and check out the meat department for things that have been marked down because they will expire in a day or two.

Anyone can do this, not just people on SNAP. Eating good, fresh food doesn't have to cost a lot of money if you shop wisely AND have access to a good grocery store. Of course, food deserts are another issue, one that is making convenience stores rich selling overpriced junk to people who have nowhere else to shop.

The thing that bugs me about this whole proposal, and a lot of the people who support it without question, is that I'm not at all sure it is so much about either savings or efficiency as it is about punishing the poor. So far, it seems like red meat, albeit canned, for the base.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:17 PM

3,839 posts, read 1,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's all BS. Giving tax breaks to the wealthy while squeezing the poor is beyond absurd. It's downright cruel.
I agree with you ------hope this food proposal fails.

Better solutions:

1.) Ban soda pop and candy.

2.) If there is a box to fill, make it a CSA box from local farmers filled with vegetables and fruit. Feeds the family and support the local economy.

3.)Propose $25 or $35 dollars each month be spent at the local farmer market.

There are better ways. Trump's plan sounds unhealthy and like a disaster. Dairy allergy, peanut allergy, wheat allergy?.....that's half the box. Most people who receive food assistance are getting approx. $1.60 per person/ per meal.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Most welfare people don't know how to cook except to microwave prepared food. Unless the food is already prepared, they'll throw it out. Do away with this type of welfare entirely.
You don't know what you are talking about.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:45 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Good start. But they should eliminate the cash part all together and just send people on SNAP weekly MREs.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
I agree with you ------hope this food proposal fails.

Better solutions:

1.) Ban soda pop and candy.

2.) If there is a box to fill, make it a CSA box from local farmers filled with vegetables and fruit. Feeds the family and support the local economy.

3.)Propose $25 or $35 dollars each month be spent at the local farmer market.

There are better ways. Trump's plan sounds unhealthy and like a disaster. Dairy allergy, peanut allergy, wheat allergy?.....that's half the box. Most people who receive food assistance are getting approx. $1.60 per person/ per meal.
Regarding #3: Not every community has a farmers' market, and some that do have them for very limited hours. We have one here, but it is only open from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Thursdays, during the summer, if memory serves. Not everyone would be able to go during those hours. That would mean designating a portion of the benefit for farmers' markets only would make that portion effectively useless for a lot of folks. I could see perhaps adding a similar amount as a bonus for people who buy local produce, though, to encourage healthier eating habits.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Good start. But they should eliminate the cash part all together and just send people on SNAP weekly MREs.
I guess you missed the part about how much MREs cost.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:55 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I guess you missed the part about how much MREs cost.
Yeah, but not if we give the MRE weekly. That’s like $28 per month.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:58 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Yeah, but not if we give the MRE weekly. That’s like $28 per month.
No their not. I saw them at the commissary for $130 for a box. On Amazon they are just under $85.00.

Then if you go here.....
https://www.thereadystore.com/1-mont...ing-full-meals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies