Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 05:58 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,606,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I'm all for it - for the 3 months we were on food stamps 35 yrs ago - I bought the cheapest cuts of meat, pasta, peanut butter, veg, fruits, milk and juice- while I saw others buying steak, lobster, prepared dinners, cakes and snacks.

I thought back then that there should have been conditions on what one was allowed to buy. I would have rather it allowed you to buy toilet paper - and skip the high priced roasts and seafood.
You still got to pick the items yourself, to decide between chicken and hamburger, for example, or decide if you wanted to eat apples or bananas, or what kind of juice you wanted to drink. You got to decide between fresh, frozen, or canned vegetables. You were still able to avoid items you didn't like, and create inexpensive menus that you did like. Sending food boxes takes away all those choices.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:06 AM

10,857 posts, read 4,392,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
This all occurred to me, as well. The more I think about this proposal, the more I think it stinks.
Potentially stinks (too early to say without seeing it play out) but its nevertheless very intelligent and outside-the-box thinking.
President Trump is definitely the most innovative world leader so far.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:12 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,804,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I guess the 'meat, poultry or fish' will have to be the canned type.
No. Just not the Prime or Choice cuts. Select is actually better for you anyway.

I like this idea a lot. Food stamp people are as a rule stupider than others. Much stupider. Their stupidity not only limits their income, it leads them to misspend the little they have. e.g., on soda.

Giving them nutritious food instead of letting them buy salty, sugary junk food will be good for them. Being stupid, they frequently don't know what is good for them.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
No. Just not the Prime or Choice cuts. Select is actually better for you anyway.

I like this idea a lot. Food stamp people are as a rule stupider than others. Much stupider. Their stupidity not only limits their income, it leads them to misspend the little they have. e.g., on soda.

Giving them nutritious food instead of letting them buy salty, sugary junk food will be good for them. Being stupid, they frequently don't know what is good for them.
Based upon this post, I would like to know: how long have you been on food stamps?

Old 02-13-2018, 06:25 AM

1,225 posts, read 607,696 times
What a lot of people are suggesting already exists. It’s called WIC. Why not just expand that instead?

Old 02-13-2018, 06:26 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,125,486 times
Just want to check in to see if any Conservatives are willing to admit they hated this idea when it was Michelle Obama's for children in school, but love it now...

Old 02-13-2018, 06:28 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,856,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
Potentially stinks (too early to say without seeing it play out) but its nevertheless very intelligent and outside-the-box thinking.
President Trump is definitely the most innovative world leader so far.

No, no, no. You're not paying attention. It's inside the box thinking.

(Get it? See what I did there? Not bad, eh?)

Old 02-13-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
No, no, no. You're not paying attention. It's inside the box thinking.

(Get it? See what I did there? Not bad, eh?)
I kinda figured you'd field that one.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:31 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,798,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily87 View Post
What a lot of people are suggesting already exists. It’s called WIC. Why not just expand that instead?
Now, I would be open to that.

WIC offers a range of high-quality foods that recipients are free to choose from.

Or, as others have suggested, just develop a list of fake food that can't be purchased with SNAP benefits. Why don't we do that already? Because Frito-Lay et. al. just HATES that idea, and actively lobbies against it.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:35 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,804,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Based upon this post, I would like to know: how long have you been on food stamps?
haha

I know personal observation counts little for progressives, who favor the output of analyzers and studiers to provide the foundation for their ideology.

I don't. I believe what I see with my own eyes instead of what someone told me.

Although, upon review, I see my earlier comments were incomplete. I left out that food stamp people are lazy as well as stupid. As a rule, of course.

So delivery of food would give them more time to watch TV, their calling in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies