Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 08:08 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,867,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
I absolutely agree with the bolded!

You clearly don't understand how animals in the wild are, and should be treated differently to humans in a first world country.

But hey, if you aren't happy with living in a first world country that at least attempts to treat the poor and needy better/ differently than wild animals, I can't imagine that immigrating to many of the world's 3rd World Countries would be too difficult.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:10 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
The most recent article I read suggested that recipients would have to pick up the boxes from assigned locations, rather than deliver them... which could present even more problems.

A lot of these issues have already been touched upon, but the problems I view with the boxes are:

1) There is no mention as to whether personal dietary needs will be addressed. There's an ever increasing amount of people with dairy/lactose allergies or intolerance, not to mention wheat, gluten, eggs, nuts, soy, etc, etc. I highly doubt that each box will be custom built for the recipient, and in some families, some of the food will not be able to be consumed.

2) Along with the above, those with special needs and either the sensory or physical inability to eat some of the foods, will also mean that items may not be consumed by the intended recipient.

3) Pasta needs to be cooked, as does things like Spam (to make it vaguely palatable). The description of these boxes seems to assume that every American has a place to cook food. The poorest of the poor may not.

4) The boxes will apparently be picked up at assigned locations. How plentiful will these locations be? How feasible would it be for a person to travel on public transport with (in theory) a months worth of food?

5) There are certainly those who (you would think) would qualify for delivery, such as the elderly. But as others suggested, that increases the chance of porch pirates stealing the boxes, or the food going bad if left on the porch too long in extreme heat or cold.

I'm truthfully all for a Food Stamp system that does not allow Chips, Soda, Candy and 'Junk Food'. However, I still believe that we would be better off allowing families to have free reign to buy non-Junk food items at the store of their choice, because of all of the above reasons.
All sorts of common grocery store purchases will be rejected from being applied to a consumer's SNAP balance.

This includes but is not limited to paper products, diapers, alcohol, ready to eat prepared foods and so on.

The intel exists to disqualify foods with no nutritional value. Big Food and Big Grocer lobby Congress ctitters to make sure there products continue to qualify for SNAP. They will not take this proposal without a fight. Then it gets tangles with farm aid, which tends to benefit Big corporate growers more so than small farms

I don't have an issue with the food box concept. All contents could, in theory, meet the most common food sensitivities/ dietary restrictions.

Congress' acceptance of this portion or any portion of the budget, as proposed, is uncertain.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:13 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,458,097 times
Default The gift that keeps on giving ...

Trump pitches plan to replace food stamps with food boxes

Old 02-13-2018, 08:20 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,122,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Let's just get rid of the handouts all together then. Problem solved.
I agree. Let's start by not handing out $700+ billion to the military industrial complex.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:27 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
I don't know. It might work.

We do need to crack down on welfare abuse. I listen to a local radio show that often highlights the abuse such as the people that have EBT cards buying lobsters, going on vacations, falsifying documents so they can get multiple cards, selling their cards for 50 cents on the dollar so they can then buy booze and cigarettes.

It is all a big mess that wastes millions of taxpayer dollars yet the states refuse to crack down on the abuse citing that it would single out the people that are in need. They even refuse to put a picture of the person that is attached to the card on it. Why?

Food boxes seem like a odd approach since they would need to be gathered and stored in huge warehouses.

The cards are easy but it has become a game of wasteful abuse by people that don't really need the help.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:31 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
I agree. Let's start by not handing out $700+ billion to the military industrial complex.
Yes all of those are good ideas

Old 02-13-2018, 08:33 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,458,097 times
I've heard that the grocers are against it; probably because they make more money off of the current system and also because they'll be sending the food directly to the individuals and cutting out the middleman. Sounds like an interesting proposal, just not sure that it will get passed.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:35 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Many will not want to go on public assistance if their food is chosen for them.. No soda , chips, or fancy cakes.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:37 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I've heard that the grocers are against it; probably because they make more money off of the current system and also because they'll be sending the food directly to the individuals and cutting out the middleman. Sounds like an interesting proposal, just not sure that it will get passed.
Exactly how is the government planning to directly send the food? UPS? Couriers?

Are we expanding the government with a department to oversee the distribution? Who is packing up the food if not grocery stores?

This 'proposal' sounds much more expensive and disorganized than the current, as well as ripe for fraud.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:38 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Somewhat torn on this. On the one hand, I wouldn't want the government telling me what to it, literally forcing me to eat whatever it is they send me.

Other hand, it might motivate me to get my act together to where I'm no longer on food stamps.
The government is not going to tell anyone what to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Nothing says smaller govt. than the govt. telling people what they can eat
Again, the government is not going to tell people what to eat. Right now, you can go out and get whatever food and drinks you desire if you have the money to pay for it. Literally, anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Could also have a positive impact on overall health care costs. Definitely a mixed bag here, but I'm all for some out of the box thinking because at least that can spawn other good ideas in the process.
Have you ever seen the kids with the welfare moms shopping? Either overweight or thin as a rail, pale and usually not that clean. Same case with the mom. Unhealthy eating habits. If the school free breakfast and lunch aren't junk food too, the kids throw it away.

Quote:
No one is telling anyone what they can eat. You're free to eat whatever, but if I'm going to be paying, then yes I get to have a say. I'm not buying poor people soda so they can fatten up and get diabetes, requiring yet another handout to fix their medical condition.
Exactly. These people need help making healthy choices, and this will do it. If they aren't happy with what is provided, well, tough.

Quote:
No they will most definitely tell them what they can eat -- the boxes will be pre packaged and be all 'shelf' stable products.

Really -- you want the govt. to now get into food distribution.....okay

Not exactly smaller govt...just different govt.
Yes, I do. I suspect this came from one of the many questionnaires that Trump has sent and continues to send to see what the people, citizens, want to see. Many want this. It used to be this way. It will also put food in the house rather than having the adults exchanging the food stamp/card for drugs and alcohol, whatever else they have time and desire for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
When you give up responsibility you give up liberty.
Exactly.

Quote:
Like I said, if they don't like it, they can pay for their own ****ing food!
This will also help them stay within the perimeters of the monthly allotment. I see them load the carts with junk food, which always ends up costing more, and then they run out of food and have to hit the "free pantries" which are being hit so hard the shelves are often empty.

Little Debbies, frozen pizza, frozen sugary pops about 40 to the box, sugared name brand cereal, soda and the deli pre-packaged area - cold roasted chicken with the stamp that it is food stamp approved (something we for most of our lives considered a luxury item).

Quote:
It is clear -- you want the govt. to distribute food to the poor.

Just doesn't seem like smaller govt.
It was done before. It is a wonderful idea. I think this will be a benefit in so many ways: 1. Don't like healthy food - get a job and buy something else, here many people work more than 1 job. 2. No more sugar and starch everything. 3. No more trading food stamp/cards for alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, etc.

Quote:
I have a problem (over) paying for other people's food, education & healthcare, no matter how it happens.

If you've got your hand out asking for free ****, then you are in no position to be making demands.
I would love a free monthly box of food! I would find a way to eat everything in the box! Unfortunately, I work and have to buy my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
Basically trash food

That would lead to poor people being more obese and face health issues they can’t afford due to our horrible healthcare system

Makes sense, it’s like population control or creating a hoard of brainless slobs who lack nutrients
No, avoiding the "trash" food they buy. Ever follow them in the grocery store?

Poor people are already obese along with their kids because they stuff their faces with junk food bought with food stamps which I help pay for. I say, if I am paying for your food, I get to say what you eat, and many agree with this.

Most of these people are on Medicaid and ALWAYS there because they SICK. They are unhealthy, and obesity is a big reason that keeps them from working or other ills they suffer like drug addiction and other addictions.

We already have "a hoard of brainless slobs who lack nutrients", something that is being addressed by this.

Quote:
Let's just get rid of the handouts all together then. Problem solved.
Hey, that would slow the illegal traffic at the border too! Let's do it!

Seriously, this is what people want. I have seen numerous articles complaining about how these people spend their food stamp allowance, the grocery money that we give them. They spend it the first two weeks, note that on that first weekend of the month, the best cuts of beef will be in the meat case (the ones we have always bypassed) and the seafood. Many have a certain "mentality" of entitlement that those that pay for their own things don't have.

Hey, one is either hungry or they aren't. I suspect the older individuals will still appreciate real food and have a clue what to do with it, and the younger ones can either eat it or go without! Food assistance should only be available to those unable to work. Job doesn't pay enough? Get a part-time job or 2 to supplement - that is how they do it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies