Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 09:57 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times

Advertisements

The gun genie is out of the bottle and it will take a lot of effort to put it back. It seems to me that an 8 foot fence , single point entrance, everyone goes thru a metal detector to gain entrance would stop most of it. Atlanta airport has 250000 pass thru it daily. I presume a majority pass thru metal detectors. The nuclear plant I worked at had all of theses features. No one came in with a firearm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 09:58 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
There are many school "knifings" in China.

with hardly any fatalities

(see how that works?)

Old 02-15-2018, 09:59 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
How?
That's enough, don't you know

Old 02-15-2018, 09:59 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Well, let's see if we can figure that out by looking at what I said

I asked why these mass killings are being carried out more often with guns than with other types of weapons.

Do you have an answer?

Guns are more convenient, and not many movies/video games feature killing people with pressure cookers.

But I'm not the one who brought up pressure cookers.

So, what's your solution that you're working towards with this line of reasoning?

Banning all guns? ........which Liberals claim over and over that they don't want to do?

Rounding up every one of the 300 million plus guns in America.....as if it were possible?

Repealing the Constitutional rights of millions of Americans who didn't and never will commit a mass shooting?

So, unless you're willing to go that route, the answer to your question is irrelevant.

Because we already have background checks.....which this kid would have passed.

He was not a convicted felon and had never been deemed mentally ill or incompetent.

The AR-15 is no more deadly than many other types of weapons, in this case a crowded school, he could have done the same damage with a handgun.

What do you propose that would have stopped this kid without trampling on the Constitutional rights of millions of people who did nothing wrong?

Old 02-15-2018, 10:00 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKFortgreene View Post
NRA is too powerful, after those white kids died in Sandy Hook I thought things would have changed but if white kids dying don't change the laws no one else dying will change it. Last Vegas was mostly white people and still no laws changing, These mass shootings are happening in prodominately white enviroments and if Republicans care way too much about NRA kick backs we have a serious problem.
It's a mistake to think that it's only Republicans who won't ban/confiscate guns. Obama, Pelosi, and Reid wouldn't do so, either.

Americans own 450 million guns. They're not all Republicans.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:01 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times
Default Brilliant Speech by POTUS of Florida shooting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMXaGx8nXmE

I ****ing love this man, thank you mr. President.

Other politicians should learn from the speech, be sympathetic to the victims, and don't lie about the facts (like liberals are doing saying it's easier to buy a gun than vote, it's impossible to buy a gun illegally, there are no gun restrictions, Florida has few gun laws [it has a lot] etc.)

THANK YOU and MAGA to everyone!

Old 02-15-2018, 10:02 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I'm not the one being asked this question, but it would seem to me that for someone who wants to kill lots of people, guns are more "efficient" at producing greater damage, and there's also a drama factor and a narcissistic appeal to being the one holding a gun and slaughtering others, whereas bombs are more impersonal (though undeniably dramatic). Knives are TOO personal, and they're messy - the wielder has to get up close and actually physically engage the victim. Guns fall in between the distant bomb and the intimate knife, and the body count is greater...they're easier, and they make the shooter look powerful in his own mind.

I hate where my imagination takes me at times like this - trying to put myself into the mind-frame of someone so utterly insane and violent that they would engage in such repulsive, alien and evil actions.
Hmm...so if it were more difficult for people to get guns they might be less inclined to use knives and explosives, which, it appears, are less effective at killing people?

Hmmm...

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Dweller View Post
In most cases when politicians try to fix something, something else gets broken.
For sure. Often, there are downstream unanticipated consequences.

Years ago I volunteered in one of the mental hospitals where many patients spent their days in a drug induced-haze. Some fared better in the community, others fell through the cracks (again, when the anticipated funds never appeared for the community-based programs).

ALL downstream impacts cannot be anticipated nor every shooting prevented.

The only absolute is to answer for ourself whether we want to live in a society that turns away or one that keeps working to plug the holes that allows this to happen.

Yes or no. It's a choice.

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
The gun genie is out of the bottle and it will take a lot of effort to put it back. It seems to me that an 8 foot fence , single point entrance, everyone goes thru a metal detector to gain entrance would stop most of it. Atlanta airport has 250000 pass thru it daily. I presume a majority pass thru metal detectors. The nuclear plant I worked at had all of theses features. No one came in with a firearm.
Most school districts simply can't afford it...maybe the 30 billion dollars Trump wants for his wall would be better spent fortifying our schools?

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
You can't legislate crazy. There should be at least one teacher in each floor or wing of a school who has a concealed carry permit. But keep it a secret so a potential killer won't know which teacher has the gun. Or make ALL of them carry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies