Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:47 AM

764 posts, read 235,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
The Invitation is declined
When I do the grammar NAZI thing it is in the privacy of a thread devoted to that. I hardly ever poke at a poster for bad spelling or typing.
Religiously vs. Faithfully is more of a meaning issue.
I read a lot of posts blaming the NRA for bad things they don't really support. There are lots of organizations that lobby either side. Don't destroy the system. Control it. Balance it. Join the side you like on any one of 1000 issues.
To paraphrase a patriot, "I refuse to kiss your a$$ but I defend your right to ki$$ mine."

"Keep talking. It's all that keeps us from crying."
Sorry if I wasn't clear. That's what I mean't by what I said about lobbying. I should have said "You cannot single out the NRA for lobbying, if you want it gone you should try to prohibit ALL lobbying."
And the "religiously" was kind of a back handed political shot at the left that I should have left out. ("Clinging to their god and guns") I am well aware of the proper usage. Like I said, I believe you and I are on the same page and just want an HONEST discussion on the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 09:48 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,115,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, you see massacres as social justice issues, and nothing more?

No wonder conservatives are telling the survivors to shut up.
Not this Conservative. Some conservatives are beginning to become "snowflakes" themselves. Some fear an opposing view, which may have merit.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:52 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,792,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'll say it again, It's a hard subject to discuss without flying off the handle or going off on tangents but it really needs to be looked at.
It amazes me that everyone is so wound up about this one school shooting and killing of 17 people and yet 3 times that amount have been shot in just one long weekend in Chicago.

People say "we've had enough" and I say "I think the people in Chicago and other major cites have been saying this for years now" to no avail. Why is THIS incident more important?

Why is THIS school so freaking important vs the hundreds of people shot and murdered every year in Chicago? Why aren't people demanding the Mayor of Chicago or the Governor of Illinois do something or be fired?
I've not seen the last president's feet held to the fire over all the kids/teens murdered in places like Chicago,Detroit etc. why is that? Why are kids being murdered so important NOW and only in FL?
Thus far there have been no mass shootings in a Chicago school. Most shootings in Chicago occur in 5/ 25 Police Districts with a black gang- infested population.These are not the only majority black neighborhoods in Chicago - just the most dangerous.

It's reasonable to assume most everyone who lives in one of the five districts is carrying a firearm, legal or otherwise. Most shootings are one on one and involve a handgun. When there are witnesses, no one comes forward. Some are protecting their own. Some are fearful of retaliation.

Large scale mass shootings get more political and media attention than one on one shootings.

About a year ago there was a memorial for a shooting victim. A gang attacked attendees and many were shot/ killed- horrible tragedy and optic. The local alderman made a public remark " No innocents were shot".
This was a street memorial for a slain gang member- convicted felon. The gang's colors were flying. They used social media to post a challenge to rival gangs. No surprise then that a rival gang burst out of an ally with guns blazing.

Then there was the middle of the day incident whereby women, many with their children in tow, came to a street fight with guns and box cutters and battled it out in the middle of the street, as children watched. One woman used her car to plow another into a tree. Then she backed up and plowed her car into the woman again. Driver fled on foot.

The trigger event was a post on social media trash talking a woman. Despite dozens of witnesses, no one claimed they saw the car plowing incident or knew the driver. Despite the car was impounded and the drivers identity was known, she disappeared. Her tribe protected her.

And sometimes innocents die, random victims or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Last week, a respected armed off duty Police Commander was shot and killed by a thug with a rap sheet a mile long. The officer was in close proximity when he responded to an alert and gave chase. He and the fleeing thug exchanged gunfire and tumbled down a stairwell. This thug was on parole and had no problem acquiring a gun and a whole lot of drugs.

Despite this, Chicago had 55 million overnight visitors/ yr, none of whom have any interest/ business in venturing into the 5 districts where most of the violence occurs. These visitors spend massive amounts of money on hotels (including Trump Hotel), dining ( including Trump venues) shopping and attractions.

Major employers are leaving their suburban office campuses and relocating to the city and do so to attract and retain top millenial talent who have no interest in living in or commuting to safe suburban communities. They are not however building or occupying space in the 5 dangerous communities for obvious reasons.

The state is broke because of legacy underfunded pensions. The state is 1/7 states with a Constitution that protects realized and accrued benefits. What was in place on your date of hire cannot be altered. No shortage of Governors of both parties agreed to benefits and did not cut expenses/ increase revenues to fund them. politicians know that they can't be elected anywhere with an intention to increase taxes to satisfy obligations.
The state chose not to match the tax rates of Wisconsin and chose not to tax pensions as occurs in many states, red and blue.

The state, not the city, is responsible for Minimum Sentencing and Parole which are nowhere near as strong as they need to be. All the state has to do is figure out how to pay for increased incarceration.

Chicago's gun homicide rate does not cleat Top Ten. Take a look at DC. Why hasn't any POTUS, including Trump, done anything about violent crime in a city where they and their family live? What exactly can any POTUS do about local violence?

Old 02-23-2018, 09:59 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,537,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
That's why I said the next case....... "is not unlimited" was clarified by "in common usage". I believe that we will see a case come before the court on a new AR ban.
SCOTUS is where the change happens.
I can imagine a SCOTUS majority opinion along these lines:
"The Second Amendment controls Keeping and Bearing Arms.
That is done so that there shall be a Well Regulated Militia.
We see no "Well Regulated Militia".
(A long explanation follows of why that is not met by the National Guard or Selective Service obligation.)
The court therefore finds in favor of the plaintiff and that the decision in the lower court preventing the ownership of such weapons by the general public is upheld."

I think that would see the implementation of my concept of "A Well Regulated Militia" as a Federally and State Chartered organization.
Since creation of that would take a while, somebody better get started soon.

"On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to my country and to obey the Well Regulated Militia Law;
to help other people at all times;
to keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight.
I pledge to use my skills in defense of the nation
and the citizens when called upon.
We do not lie, cheat, steal, bully, threaten or tolerate among us those who do.(So Help Me God)"

When recited in a group the members shall respond,
"SO SAY WE ALL"

Old 02-23-2018, 10:01 AM

42,862 posts, read 26,331,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
your right, he did, I remember when they closed down a mental health facility about 20 min. away from me. We used to have what we called the 6th floor in hospitals, where police took those who they arrested, who seemed to have mental problems. They would be evaluated and then locked down in these metal health systems. they Reagan turned them all loose into the streets and that's what started homeless people. Pretty darn sad....b/c we need those facilites. We do.
They were closed because in 1967 LPS passed the California legislature and was signed into law by Governor Reagan, it offered patients protection against indefinite confinement in mental hospitals when they were no longer a danger to themselves or other. As a result the numbers of people in mental hospitals rapidly declined. The problem is that as thousands were being released, Reagan cut mental health funding rather than institute the community mental health programs he had promised which were intended to treat people who had been been in the mental hospitals.

Then as President he doubled down on stupid and repealed OBRA in 1981 which provided federal money to deal with mental health issues, and this was after Connor V Donaldson was decided by SCOTUS in 1976 which made involuntary confinement unlawful nationwide using the same standard as LPS.

Here's a good timeline in case you're interested in the subject: https://ww2.kqed.org/news/2016/12/08...lessness-here/

Old 02-23-2018, 10:01 AM

1,239 posts, read 511,430 times
Was trying to respond to the thread about the parents of victims getting death threats, and it was deleted.
Guessing it was merged into this thread (at least I hope so).

So we can have a stupid thread about whether the kids are crisis actors, but not one regarding death threats to victims families?

That is a seriously messed up standard.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:02 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,849,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
no, you'd have to have them at several entrances and close off other entrances...and the teachers closest to those entrances, would need to have a key to open those doors in the event of an emergency, or have automatic locks on them, that would open those doors....

We have them in our building....
Seems, I heard this killer snuck up a back entrance. Probably knew this campus like the back of his crazy hand.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,037,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
No, beyond despicable..........deranged, out of touch with reality, and uneducated. These are the people who listen to the likes of Alex Jones and lap up every word he says.
Just as they're people who listen to Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and the racist loon who heads the Nation of Islam.
The far right doesn't have the patent on loons or people who lap up what said loons say. There's plenty on BOTH sides of the equation...

Old 02-23-2018, 10:05 AM

28,948 posts, read 30,307,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
In this situation the guard had an excellent chance to take out the shooter and now you want to excuse his actions by falsely claiming he was told to wait for backup?
I'm not falsely claiming anything, b/c I don't know and neither do you. I'm simply trying to examine all possibilities before I start calling someone names or blaming someone...

my son's a cop, and at my ripe old age, he is teaching me to do that, and I'm trying to do that, which we all should practice, we weren't there.....none of us were, and perception is different to every individual....plus I forgot, they are told to stand down until backup arrives....but I forgot it.....

Old 02-23-2018, 10:08 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,924,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Seems, I heard this killer snuck up a back entrance. Probably knew this campus like the back of his crazy hand.
Am I the only person who heard story by student who left bldg before fire alarms and saw Cruz sitting on staircase loading his AR?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies