Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:15 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, but, if, the school would have had metal detectors, the kid would have probably not been able to enter school, alarms would have gone off, and they could have held the kid until law enforcement came.

Then law enforcement could have pressed charges, sent the kid up and perhaps gotten help for him? NO?

I'm picturing a double door, with a hall in-between with a metal detector, which would go off and hold the kid in that area, which would have bullet proof glass. The metal detector would also alarm the police...when it goes off?
Metal detectors go off all the time for things other than a gun, so it's hard to fathom how the Police would react to a metal detector going off several times a day. And along with the metal detector you need would need someone armed to stop someone attempting to enter with a weapon, tried to go through a courthouse metal detector lately?

You tell me exactly what law enforcement could have charged him with because I'm not seeing it. Now if Florida had a law like they do in California Cruz probably wouldn't have had that gun because the law allows family members to ask a Police Officer to take guns from an irrational or dangerous person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I'm sure more guns would have solved this problem, right?

The whole situation is just idiotic. We've got people on the far-right pretending guns are basically harmless while at the same time saying they are a "key part of our freedom because they let us kill the gubermint when we need to!" The two-faced absurdity of it is so obvious. Guns are harmless, but also let us overthrow the government. Sure...

Meanwhile, now we're stuck listening to righties attempt to "solve" the gun problem with more guns. They already had "more guns" at this school - it didn't do a damn bit of good!

The right needs to stop living in some Hollywood movie where the good guys always show up - armed - at the right time, dodge bullets, and magically kill the bad guys. That is not how reality works.
On the plus side, it does give us the opportunity to read posts from keyboard commandos discussing in detail how, if they had been there with their peacemaker, they would use their firearm training to bob and weave through school hallways to take out the bad guy like some poorly written Tom Clancy novel.

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
You never know how someone will respond to a situation. Some run some fight.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:16 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
CNN is reporting this sad development in this tragedy. Not exactly a portrait in courage but another reason these assault weapons need the be outlawed.
I guess by now the name "Scott Peterson" doesn't have a positive sound to it!

We now have three Scott Peterson guys who are from the worst scum to a huge loser!

What this guy did is like a fire fighter saying "hey there is a fire, uhm, well today I don't feel like going in and lets wait outside and see what will happen".

This Scott Peterson brought his job as resource office to denigrate that job to something the job shouldn't reflect. I understand he is a human with human fears but he should never put on the suit and take any pay check.

He should not get retirement, and pay back his last pay check as a minimum.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:17 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Most historians that study presidential actions admit Reagan was the prez who took down the public mental health system in America
Has been pushed out of govt financial support for decades and with the rise of conservative GOP state and local legislatures w/no desire to put money toward public health you have a system with more holes than a colander
your right, he did, I remember when they closed down a mental health facility about 20 min. away from me.

We used to have what we called the 6th floor in hospitals, where police took those who they arrested, who seemed to have mental problems. They would be evaluated and then locked down in these metal health systems.

they Reagan turned them all loose into the streets and that's what started homeless people. Pretty darn sad....b/c we need those facilites. We do.

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
disagreeing with someone is far from telling them to "shut up". get a dictionary out and look up some definitions if you are having trouble with word meanings.
The message from conservatives is this: Millenials, just shut up.

See the picture I posted. The words are right there, and the message is signed by a conservative web site.

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not told, that's SOP in a lot of situations.
If every cop in the US had to wait for backup which seems to be what you are inferring there would be a lot more dead victims than there are now.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:18 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, but, if, the school would have had metal detectors, the kid would have probably not been able to enter school, alarms would have gone off, and they could have held the kid until law enforcement came.

Then law enforcement could have pressed charges, sent the kid up and perhaps gotten help for him? NO?

I'm picturing a double door, with a hall in-between with a metal detector, which would go off and hold the kid in that area, which would have bullet proof glass. The metal detector would also alarm the police...when it goes off?
One entrance with a metal detector would not work for this campus unless you surrounded it with barbed wire or massively reconfigured the campus.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:22 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
The Sheriff specifically said that's not SOP for a school shooting.

I'm not seeing current LEO calling him out on that anywhere.

Hard to believe he would tell such a bald faced lie knowing he would eventually be found out.
Well, they may have a totally different set of procedures and guidelines than other departments. And he might not "eventually be found out". Contingency plans are fairly closely guarded within departments, that's why I was sometimes of mixed opinions about some of the various drills we did, too many people knew them, especially a couple idiot administrators.

Cruz knew exactly how to get the maximum number of targets out in the open, pull the fire alarm, and then damned near got away by blending in with the students evacuating.

Like I said earlier in this thread, or maybe another, a nightmare scenario.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:22 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not told, that's SOP in a lot of situations.
That is totally erroneous
Since Columbine when SWAT massed outside the school and waited for "good intel" or "the right opportunity" or someone who wasnt afraid to take responsibility for the decision to enter the bldg, active shooters require active entry
He waited because he was afraid...not bcuz it was proceedure
You heard his boss's response
Acceptable really for anyone not a LEO who swears and is trained and paid to serve and protect--
He didnt do either one
He was not the students n admin who are told/coached to shelter in place, lock/barricade doors, call office n 911
Peterson was the RESCUE that was on site and supposed to be first responder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies