Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 07:13 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,477,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Oh, the lack of critical thinking and looking at the whole picture...

the 57,000 illegal weapons were previously legal weapons prior to the PA law change. It only accounted for around 10%-25% of all those weapons previously legally owned, the remainder were not handed in by their owners.

Australia has had mass shootings (as defined by the FBI since then, but zero as defined by the Australian Government) Monash University stands out, but there was also Childers Palace Massacre (10+ backpackers burned to death in an arson attack), Churchill (more people killed in an arson attack), there was the Lindt Siege in Sydney too, if you use the medias definition there's a lot more mass shootings, including the Lin Murders, Wright Street Bikie murders. In fact they typically average one mass homicide (as defined by the press every year, and one mass shooting as defined by the FBI every 5 years)

Gun related suicides declined, but, overall the suicide rate had no appreciable decline directly associated with the gun ban, implying that suicides just switched to other means (like hanging or intentional overdose, which saw increases, again not surprising given that one tool was removed).

Gun related homicides did decline, but still make up 20% of all homicides in Australia, but again, the overall homicide rate, which was already in decline in Aus (and also the US at the time), did not accelerate, or appreciably alter its path. To correct the opposite sides arguments homicides didn't increase however serious crimes did see a rise and still are at higher rates than prior to 1996.

Further when you compare US and Australian overall crime stats including homicide and violence, the US had greater falls in violent crime and homicide (over the same period) than Australia did, without any gun ban, there's a shocker for you.

This isn't news, its come up several times a year since about 1999, and it's been debunked again and again and again. Further why do people trot out "gun homicide" like it means anything, is someone deader when shot than stabbed? Would gun control be a success if there were 0 gun homicides, but the homicide rate climbed to 100/100,000, would we feel safer in our beds knowing we might not get shot, but killed by a home invader with a knife, or a baseball bat.
It takes guts and a lot of effort to kill someone with a knife, baseball bat etc. Not so much with a gun. See the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 07:31 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,279,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
It takes guts and a lot of effort to kill someone with a knife, baseball bat etc. Not so much with a gun. See the difference?
Are you saying that people who kill with not a gun are more admirable than those who kill with a gun? Because to the victim does it matter? That's who we should care about, no?

Have you ever shot someone? If not how would you know? Depending on the victim it may not take much effort at all, you've never heard of the 6'6" college lineman who 'died' after getting pushed, tripping and smashing his head on a curb? Bet the person pushing was shocked at how little guts it took to kill him.

Easiest weapon to kill someone with is a vehicle. It's why they're becoming weapons of choice in places like the UK, France, Australia, etc.

Oh and instead of deflecting. Answer the question would you prefer death by gun, fire, beating, stabbing? Would a homicide rate of 100/100,000 but a gun homicide rate of 0/100,000 be a success?

Last edited by Gungnir; 03-01-2018 at 07:41 AM..

Old 03-01-2018, 07:32 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
People here are NOT going to disarm. I do not own a gun but if I did, I would not turn it in.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:33 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
With a possible half million guns still there it's apparent we just have more psychopaths.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...llegal-weapons

Last year's amnesty was meant to absorb some of the country's estimated 260,000 illegal guns in circulation – although the figure could be much higher, officials say.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:41 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You know, I read every word of that article,and couldn't find one word about the allegations you make about those increases. Do you have a link ?

What I did read was that weapons like automatic weapons and even rocket launchers were turned in. How a rocket launcher is going to stop a rape or assault is beyond me. And, if you need an automatic weapon to protect you, you need to learn how to shoot straight. I could do it with my revolver.
This is kind of funny coming at a time like now, with a report airing on cable now. Seven police officers discharge 65 rounds at a suspect inside a motor home who shot twice at the officers and no one was hit.

A TOTAL OF 67 ROUNDS AND NONE HIT THE TARGET.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:41 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
OZ GUN SALES - Online Firearms Classifieds - » Ruger SR 22

Old 03-01-2018, 07:49 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,836,099 times
Crime in Australia is appalling, as criminals know they face no consequence from their victims.

When I was there (for a few months) I had a pervert expose himself to my kids. My wife and kids had a middle eastern man come and sit right next to them (close enough that they were touching) on the steps at Manly beach.

In my apartment building a motorcycle was stolen (police came door knocking the next morning looking for info)

When telling my BiL about the pervert who exposed himself, he recounted a blotched abduction of his own son. A guy tried to push my BiL off a steep embankment and snatch his son.

On another visit, my wife and I narrowly escaped being robbed, while walking home from a restaurant. Luckily a group of people walked by and the guy disappeared.

Criminals have it good in Australia.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:50 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
Hillary thought the Australian model was one to be admired and we are so lucky that she did not win the election.

Only the die hard Liberals can think it is a good idea to give amnesty to millions of illegal aliens while changing the laws on guns to make what was one day legal and the next illegal with the prospect of serious prison time if you do not comply.

Illegal aliens= law breaking individuals.
Legal gun owners= Deplorable would be murderers.

The Dems tell us that Trump is Hitler, that he is a dictator yet they are more than willing to disarm the law abiding citizens.
One of Hitlers first steps in his march to conquer was to take away guns from the average citizen.

I'm getting mixed messages here ??

Old 03-01-2018, 07:53 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
During a 3 month amnesty period in 2017, Australians turned in a wide variety of illegal weapons. In that country, it's a good idea to take advantage, because the penalty for getting caught with those weapons could be a $280,000 fine and 14 years in prison.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/28/asia/...ntl/index.html

The amnesty program was the first major initiative in Australia since the 1996 Port Arthur massacre where a lone gunman killed 35 people with a military-style semiautomatic rifle.

Prime Minister John Howard at that time banned rapid-fire rifles and shotguns and tightened gun licensing. Additionally, the government bought back and destroyed more than one million firearms.

In the wake of these reforms:

Mass shootings in Australia dropped to zero
Gun suicides declined by an average of 4.8% per year
Gun-related homicides declined by an average of 5.5% per year.
I thought all the guns in Aussie, were taken back in the 90's?

Violent crime in Aussie has risen drastically since the gun ban.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:57 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Average 30,000 gun deaths in the USA per year. That includes suicide and gang related gun deaths.
Take away suicide and there are around 12,000 average and then taking away gang related and the number drops to around 5000 a year.

Then look at the CDC reports on guns used to save lives, privately. Not LE.
500,000- 3 million lives saved each year by a gun in the USA.
That does not include just brandishing a gun and the crime is thwarted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies