Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 08:16 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,699,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Revolver has 6 rounds. It's not enough against criminal that has ak-47 or even Glock with 17 rounds.
I have no idea if you have been in a gunfight situation, but all your skills are going down at least one level because of the adrenalin, unless you are a highly trained SEAL.
You need that ar-15, I'm telling you.
Are you joking? If you're still shooting a revolver it's because you've made that choice. I have no problem taking my 6 shot revolver into a confrontation against someone with a AK-47 or Glock 17. You see a revolver shooter is most likely a top notch marksman. We don't believe in spray and pray. That guy with the automatic needs all those rounds cause they can't hit squat. My revolver holds six rounds. I'll get it done with one. And before you get your panties tied in a knot I've already been in this situation. I survived not because of luck but because of my training and skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 08:18 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,270,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Average 30,000 gun deaths in the USA per year. That includes suicide and gang related gun deaths.
Take away suicide and there are around 12,000 average and then taking away gang related and the number drops to around 5000 a year.

Then look at the CDC reports on guns used to save lives, privately. Not LE.
500,000- 3 million lives saved each year by a gun in the USA.
That does not include just brandishing a gun and the crime is thwarted.
You have a link to that last claim? Why does it swing from 500, 000 to 3 million? That's a huge difference. I'm smelling BS here.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:25 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,702,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
It takes guts and a lot of effort to kill someone with a knife, baseball bat etc. Not so much with a gun. See the difference?
Right on. To kill with a knife or any other hand held non-projectile weapon, you need to be in close. And being in close allows the potential victim to fight back. A victim that can fight back puts the perpetrator in some amount of danger. Someone with a gun, whether it be a pistol or an assault rifle can stand back and fire with no possible retribution from the victim(s).

The best the victims can do is hope another victim stands in front of them to absorb or slow down the bullets.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:25 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,607,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
That just goes to show that it can be done, and the doom and gloom that gun huggers predict doesn't happen.
No, it doesn't.

Australia had 18 million people on an island continent separated from the world by time, space and ocean. Thier partial gun ban was and still is an extremely controversial and difficult move and there are still hundreds of thousands of illegal firearms in the country today.

The US is 350million people owning 400 million firearms, in a high travelled multibordered nation.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Are you joking? If you're still shooting a revolver it's because you've made that choice. I have no problem taking my 6 shot revolver into a confrontation against someone with a AK-47 or Glock 17. You see a revolver shooter is most likely a top notch marksman. We don't believe in spray and pray. That guy with the automatic needs all those rounds cause they can't hit squat. My revolver holds six rounds. I'll get it done with one. And before you get your panties tied in a knot I've already been in this situation. I survived not because of luck but because of my training and skills.
Your attempt at stereotyping is very incorrect.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I thought all the guns in Aussie, were taken back in the 90's?

Violent crime in Aussie has risen drastically since the gun ban.
Of course they were. Tens of thousands of "illegal" firearms just magically appear during these "amnesties".

Also realize, the percentage given to their government is no where near the majority that exists in the country.

And that is with a population of only several million people.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:39 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
It takes guts and a lot of effort to kill someone with a knife, baseball bat etc. Not so much with a gun. See the difference?
lol No, I for one do not understand what this has to do with the topic.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:44 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
You have a link to that last claim? Why does it swing from 500, 000 to 3 million? That's a huge difference. I'm smelling BS here.
Are you serious?
I even gave you where I got the statistics for you to go search for yourself and not take my word or my links as gospel.

The Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council released the results of their research through the CDC last month. Researchers compiled data from previous studies in order to guide future research on gun violence, noting that “almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year.”

African American males are most affected by firearm-related violence, with “32 per 100,000” deaths. Risk factors and predictors of violence include income inequality, “diminished economic opportunities . . . high levels of family disruption” and “low levels of community participation.”

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...rime-deterrent

CDC Gun Research Backfires on Obama - Guns & Ammo

On the average, guns save 2,191 lives and are used to thwart crimes every day,” says Alan Gottlieb of the Second Amendment Foundation
Most times you won’t see these tales on the news as it does not fit the main stream media’s story line of “Guns and Gun Owners are Bad“.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:46 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
Under AG Holder and Obama we ran guns into Mexico. Nothing is in place now that would stop another country like Cuba or Russia from running guns into the US, if there was a ban on guns and they decided it was in their interest.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:58 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Under AG Holder and Obama we ran guns into Mexico. Nothing is in place now that would stop another country like Cuba or Russia from running guns into the US, if there was a ban on guns and they decided it was in their interest.
Under AG Holder and Obama we ran guns to DRUG DEALERS in Mexico. One of the few groups the NRA wouldn't arm but the democrats did.

You think America would allow another country to ship guns into the states and get away with it? Especially if it went to the criminal element? We're the gun runners, not other nations. Like Benghazi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies