Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 02:52 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Wrong, as usual.

I do support the president, did as a candidate. For the simple reason I wanted the appointment of conservative justices because they best guarantee that the constitution is interpreted and applied as originally written, in cases that come before the Supreme Court.

It is why I believe that Chief Justice Roberts was correct in his majority opinion re. the individual mandate as a tax and not a penalty, despite the fact I opposed the individual mandate.

You construct is one of politics, mine and many other conservatives is one of constitutionality.

Yuge difference. Stick with the constitution and things will work out. That, is truly what liberals and progressives do not understand, nor apparently want.
Nothing in the Constitution allows for a Justice to change the definition of something to justify their actions. It was passed as a penalty, not a tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 02:53 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,983,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
People could blame Ross Perot for Clinton getting elected two times and getting less than 50% of the vote in both races. Or maybe blame Perot for republican losing both races. I blame 3rd party voters for electing a serial womanizer and producing Hillary two runs for the presidency.
I blame "lesser of two evil" voters for fostering a situation where the bar for acceptable candidates is continually lowed because they just get more evil as the one of the two evils is given false approval by beating a worse evil. Just wait for 2020, cant wait to see how bad that is. Will we even have anyone who wants to run by the 2030s?

Old 06-27-2018, 02:56 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
sodium overload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
How far in the future does that show Handmaid's Tale take place? In the show, a Christian military has taken over the United States. Homosexuality and abortion are punishable by death. Women are not allowed to control money. With a 6-3 SCOTUS for the foreseeable future, that new world doesn't seem to be so fictional.
judging from this thread, we'll be hearing endless shrieks for the foreseeable future that 'a handmaid's tale' is imminent

Old 06-27-2018, 02:56 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,796,031 times
Quote:
This is a huge win for Trump and his far-right supporters.

With Ginsburg probably gone before 2020, Trump would have a chance to form a 6-3 "hard right" SCOTUS, it would be heavily imbalanced in favor of the far-right.

Over the next 30 years, through policy, the far-right will be able to reshape the country into the Christian Society that people like Sessions and Pence dream of.

How far in the future does that show Handmaid's Tale take place? In the show, a Christian military has taken over the United States. Homosexuality and abortion are punishable by death. Women are not allowed to control money. With a 6-3 SCOTUS for the foreseeable future, that new world doesn't seem to be so fictional.
That is not what anyone is looking to do. Conservative judges just follow the law as written.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:01 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
Morning Joe show will need a Defibrillator on the set tomorrow morning.....
I was thinking the same thing. It'll be quite comical.

10,490 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Swing vote Justice Anthony Kennedy will retire this summer, GOP senator says - NY Daily News

Trump gets to make another Suoreme Court pick?

And some libs claim we were “tricked†into voting for Trump over Hillary lol
This was the number one reason why I voted for Trump, in hoping he would put in Supreme Court judges that will actually uphold the constitution, because some states, like California, are getting out of hand with their strict gun control laws but lax immigration policy.

11,404 posts, read 4,089,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
That is not what anyone is looking to do. Conservative judges just follow the law as written.
That is definitely a false statement.

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Quote:
This is a huge win for Trump and his far-right supporters.

With Ginsburg probably gone before 2020, Trump would have a chance to form a 6-3 "hard right" SCOTUS, it would be heavily imbalanced in favor of the far-right.

Over the next 30 years, through policy, the far-right will be able to reshape the country into the Christian Society that people like Sessions and Pence dream of.

That is where we are headed. A Handmaid's Tale takes place in the near future so within 5-10 years. I think that is right on target. I think anybody who doesn't want to live in a country ruled by Bible law i.e. a fundamentalist Christian version of Iran and Saudi Arabia needs to start thinking about possibly preparing to leave the country if it comes to that. I'm not saying it ever will come to that but things are headed in an extremely ominous direction.

7,982 posts, read 4,292,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
You blame 3rd party voters? I guess I can partially be blamed for this mess. There was no way I was voting for the lesser of two evils when it came to Trump or Clinton. Do you believe my vote was wasted because I didn't choose sides between the two? I certainly don't think it was wasted.
Well, Timmyy, I certainly respect you, but... Tossing votes to a 3rd party candidate (in this current 2-party system) isn’t going to be impactful—that person isn’t going to get elected. You are essentially throwing away your vote...and in such an important election as 2016 was, I don’t think it’s a smart thing to do.

Aren’t their other ways to ensure the viability of a 3rd party candidate? A stronger grass-roots campaign?

Maybe it’s just my frustration over the reality star president’s ridiculousness, but...2016 was just too important. Having said that, though... if you are comfortable with the way Trump is taking this country, then YMMV. I was sharing my own opinion.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:02 PM

923 posts, read 495,528 times
The way Trump successfully trolls the left via twitter, I would love to see him suggesting Roy Moore in a tweet just to mess with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies