Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 06:07 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,751,282 times

Advertisements

Private unions will all be 100% GOP in 10 years. Teamsters, Steel Workers, Brotherhood of Electricians, etc. The left hates these people. Their members are now Trump supporters and it's only a matter of time before they vote out the current leadership if they continue to donate the the D's.

Public unions will hold out longer of course, but even there the National Education Association of the United States (teachers union) admitted 1/3 of their members voted Trump in 2016. Let that sink in....a third of the largest, most liberal union in the country, voted Trump in 2016. As groups like BLM & local D politicians continue to call our teachers racists, culturally insensitive & blame the education gap on them, they'll eventually come around as well.

The future of the Democrats are the uber-elites & the permanent underclass. Which explains why they want the middle and working classes to fall to the bottom with their new target demographic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 06:25 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Private unions will all be 100% GOP in 10 years. Teamsters, Steel Workers, Brotherhood of Electricians, etc. The left hates these people. Their members are now Trump supporters and it's only a matter of time before they vote out the current leadership if they continue to donate the the D's.

Public unions will hold out longer of course, but even there the National Education Association of the United States (teachers union) admitted 1/3 of their members voted Trump in 2016. Let that sink in....a third of the largest, most liberal union in the country, voted Trump in 2016. As groups like BLM & local D politicians continue to call our teachers racists, culturally insensitive & blame the education gap on them, they'll eventually come around as well.

The future of the Democrats are the uber-elites & the permanent underclass. Which explains why they want the middle and working classes to fall to the bottom with their new target demographic.
Let what sink in? There have always been Republican voters in unions they don't have a hive mentality and all vote the same way. However a majority of union members are unlikely to vote Republican until Republicans decide to put the interest of workers ahead of corporations.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:26 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,222,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
He doesn’t mind criticism, or he can take it at least.
This does not seem to describe the Donald Trump I have seen. He seems to have the biggest problem with criticism than most if not all of the presidents preceding him. He has very thin skin and seems to equate even mild criticism of him with treason.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:26 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,021,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Let what sink in? There have always been Republican voters in unions they don't have a hive mentality and all vote the same way. However a majority of union members are unlikely to vote Republican until Republicans decide to put the interest of workers ahead of corporations.
Well that's exactly what Trump is doing right now, which is why he is taking fire from all sides.

Trump is putting workers first.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:30 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Union members, backed and voted for Trump in record numbers.
True, though Hillary Clinton still won the Union vote by 8 points, the best a GOP Presidential nominee has done since Ronald Reagan:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e84a322c5b6c

I well agree that Clinton made a crucial mistake in not paying attention to the Rust Belt. Of course, even if she had gone up there numerous times, would it have made a difference? Trump made rather outrageous promises, whereas Clinton would have, who knows? Sprout platitudes?

It was a weakness of the Democrats: they forgot whom brought them to the dance for so many elections.

Yet, what could she promise? To bring back coal mining jobs? That has been discussed to death: coal, as a viable industry, is on its last legs. Not due to nefarious dealings by politicians or 'globalists', but simple economics concerning cheap and plentiful gas.

Steel? What could Hillary have said? The best I can think of is "I will propose legislation so that unemployed steel workers can get training for jobs fit for the 21st century".

We have discussed the problems of steel on other threads. It will never return to its heyday. Indeed, even if US Steel or others built new, state-of-the-art plants, they do not require but a tenth of the old iron ore blast furnaces. So, to date, 800 jobs are spoken for as coming back? A drop in the bucket from the number of steel workers that have lost their jobs since the 1970s.

Plus, I would imagine that the grizzled, older, laid-off steel-worker would not accept the Clinton advice (in my hypothetical) to be 'trained' for other work. As I noted elsewhere, many of these pit-steel workers have probably moved south. They would welcome Mr. Trump's claim: "You will get your old job back, and make more money than ever before".

Yet, tradition is ingrained in many. I have noted before that I have watched documentaries in which older coal miners claim that, whereas their father and grandfather worked in the mines of West Virginia, they wanted better for their son. Only to have the son also enter the deep pit. I imagine the same goes for those families that have worked in steel plants for generations. The plants have been hemorrhaging workers for 40 years, and they don't know what to do about it. Hence, no wonder they are attracted to a simple "You will get your jobs back" claim by Trump.

Heck, even I did not particularly want to be an attorney, which jobs my father, grandfather and other "legalseas" have done. However, after a year spent in my maternal family's iron plant, I decided I could tough out law school. Tradition won.

So, yes, the Unions came out strongly for Donald Dennison Trump, but will they again in 2020? Yes, those 800 steel workers may do so, but how many are left out of the Trump dance?

Old 03-10-2018, 07:49 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Ever since you left wingers started attacking the union members, mocking them as uneducated, deplorable, racists, the whole paradigm shifted.
And you right wingers are gonna tell me that you’ve been down with the Unions all along?

Old 03-10-2018, 07:53 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,021,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
True, though Hillary Clinton still won the Union vote by 8 points, the best a GOP Presidential nominee has done since Ronald Reagan:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e84a322c5b6c

I well agree that Clinton made a crucial mistake in not paying attention to the Rust Belt. Of course, even if she had gone up there numerous times, would it have made a difference? Trump made rather outrageous promises, whereas Clinton would have, who knows? Sprout platitudes?

It was a weakness of the Democrats: they forgot whom brought them to the dance for so many elections.

Yet, what could she promise? To bring back coal mining jobs? That has been discussed to death: coal, as a viable industry, is on its last legs. Not due to nefarious dealings by politicians or 'globalists', but simple economics concerning cheap and plentiful gas.

Steel? What could Hillary have said? The best I can think of is "I will propose legislation so that unemployed steel workers can get training for jobs fit for the 21st century".

We have discussed the problems of steel on other threads. It will never return to its heyday. Indeed, even if US Steel or others built new, state-of-the-art plants, they do not require but a tenth of the old iron ore blast furnaces. So, to date, 800 jobs are spoken for as coming back? A drop in the bucket from the number of steel workers that have lost their jobs since the 1970s.

Plus, I would imagine that the grizzled, older, laid-off steel-worker would not accept the Clinton advice (in my hypothetical) to be 'trained' for other work. As I noted elsewhere, many of these pit-steel workers have probably moved south. They would welcome Mr. Trump's claim: "You will get your old job back, and make more money than ever before".

Yet, tradition is ingrained in many. I have noted before that I have watched documentaries in which older coal miners claim that, whereas their father and grandfather worked in the mines of West Virginia, they wanted better for their son. Only to have the son also enter the deep pit. I imagine the same goes for those families that have worked in steel plants for generations. The plants have been hemorrhaging workers for 40 years, and they don't know what to do about it. Hence, no wonder they are attracted to a simple "You will get your jobs back" claim by Trump.

Heck, even I did not particularly want to be an attorney, which jobs my father, grandfather and other "legalseas" have done. However, after a year spent in my maternal family's iron plant, I decided I could tough out law school. Tradition won.

So, yes, the Unions came out strongly for Donald Dennison Trump, but will they again in 2020? Yes, those 800 steel workers may do so, but how many are left out of the Trump dance?
It's interesting to me how casually you progressives throw out American manufacturing. It was the bedrock of this country for a long time. High school graduates could get decent paying jobs with benefits and support stable families. Some of that is lost to technology, but some is also lost to unfair trade practices, like China dumping steel, and some to bad trade deals like NAFTA. Why wouldn't companies manufacture products in Mexico for $3 per hour labor costs plus not deal with the US's tort system and employment regulations and then sell in the US?

Steel isn't going away. There is simply no reason it shouldn't be made in the US, unless you prefer Chinese workers over US workers.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:58 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
These union aluminum and steel workers were invited to watch Trump sign his tariff EOs. You can spare ONE MINUTE to watch each of them, can't you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_whCfLv1PI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPGcO7BKlU4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IWE0CIyOqc

Old 03-10-2018, 08:02 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
It's interesting to me how casually you progressives throw out American manufacturing.
Steel isn't going away. There is simply no reason it shouldn't be made in the US, unless you prefer Chinese workers over US workers.
Ten of thousands of manufacturing jobs have already come back and, the key point the propaganda media ignores is Trump invited foreign manufacturers to build their plants here and hire US workers to avoid tariffs.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:04 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Unions won't back Trump. And steel is not coming back.

And unions are pretty much paper tigers any more anyway. Even teachers are refusing to join them.

https://www.onenewsnow.com/business/...still-relevant

Unions once had a place in America, but those days are long gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies