Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 09:53 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,751,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
How many people are saving $2500 a year? Personally I don't know of anyone.
Most will. At work we all used the tax savings calculator. We have one person that will pay more & dozens who will save between $1500-$4500. That seems to be pretty typical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 09:55 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
You are SO right! Just like:

Trump won't be the nominee.
Trump won't win the Presidency.
trump doesn't really want to be president.
Trump will resign right after the Inauguration.
Trump won't get anything done.
Trump will destroy the economy.
LOL Exactly

Old 03-11-2018, 10:06 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Labor (rote tasks) can be automated. When I use a self checkout, I am doing Susie's job. With ease btw.

Steel lacks alternative raw materials.

Its artificially cheap now, via dumping below cost, by several nations.
It's more likely that more of metal manufacturing and fabrication will see more automation before low paying the lower paying jobs of clerks and burger flippers because labor costs as a % of COGS in industrial manufacturing are much higher than in retail/service industries.

The % of COGS attributable to labor
manufacturing 5.19% primary metals 4.77%
retail .88% food service 1.25% BizStats

I don't argue that some countries have been dumping steel but you don't put tariffs on every country, that's kind of like using a cannon to kill a housefly.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:11 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,943,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Most working people have long figured out that the Democrats dumped them long ago. That the Democratic party doesn't represent the working class, their interests or their values. That instead the Dems have gone full left-wing,
I don't disagree with your first statement that Democrats don't represent working people they pander to coastal elites and big corporations. However if the dems were a left wing party they would assuredly be representing the interests of workers thats basically what a left wing party does. Democrats are a center right political party. I believe if Americans were given real choice a true left wing party could thrive in the United States.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:13 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Or maybe it will have the opposite effect and encourage these foreign washing machine companies to build, hire & manufacture in the United States?

LG to advance operation of U.S. washing machine plant:
LG to advance operation of U.S. washing machine plant

Samsung Electronics' U.S. washing machine factory starts production:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKBN1F1254
That's good about LG & Samsung but those announcements were made in January so I can't see how those decisions were influenced by the tariffs?

Old 03-11-2018, 10:16 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,021,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Interesting I work for a steel company and when I asked my boss about it I was told it's too early to tell what the ramifications could be. He said we're already running at full capacity at the moment and that we could raise our prices because of the tariffs. There is concern about lay offs and not being able to get steel in from us workers though.

With that said if I lose my job do I have the right to punch and or sue Trump for it??
Maybe you work for an idiot. I'm reading about US Steel and other companies hiring workers back specifically because of Trump's tariffs.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
It's more likely that more of metal manufacturing and fabrication will see more automation before low paying the lower paying jobs of clerks and burger flippers because labor costs as a % of COGS in industrial manufacturing are much higher than in retail/service industries.

The % of COGS attributable to labor
manufacturing 5.19% primary metals 4.77%
retail .88% food service 1.25% BizStats

I don't argue that some countries have been dumping steel but you don't put tariffs on every country, that's kind of like using a cannon to kill a housefly.
Like everything Trump does, he always starts with his most extreme position and allows the other side to negotiate him to the middle, or point he wants to be at to begin with. It's all laid out in "The art of the deal".

Now he says he may allow exemptions for certain countries like Canada and Mexico, so long as none of the steel they send us or the steel based products are using steel originating in China. That's fair right?

Old 03-11-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
That's good about LG & Samsung but those announcements were made in January so I can't see how those decisions were influenced by the tariffs?
Now they're racing to get those plants open and hire workers. Quite the coincidence on the timing right?

Old 03-11-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I don't disagree with your first statement that Democrats don't represent working people they pander to coastal elites and big corporations. However if the dems were a left wing party they would assuredly be representing the interests of workers thats basically what a left wing party does. Democrats are a center right political party. I believe if Americans were given real choice a true left wing party could thrive in the United States.
The Democrats are divided right now. You have the corporate/war hawk wing of the party, the NeoLibs, which includes the Clintons, Biden, Kerry, et al. They want more globalization, higher taxes, more wars, stripping of civil liberties, etc. They are virtually indistinguishable from the NeoCon wing of the GOP. They are friendly, they vacation together, they are one party running both parties. it's like pro wrestling, where the suckers believe there's a good guy and a bad guy, but people with a brain realize there's no difference.

Then you have the far left wing of the Democratic Party. I believe the genuinely care about the workers and despise the corporate machine. Unfortunately, they lean towards communism, hate traditional American values, hate the police, hate the military and can barely contain their hatred of White people and men.

There is no sensible option for a moderate Democrat in 2018.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:46 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
You are SO right! Just like:

Trump won't be the nominee.
Trump won't win the Presidency.
trump doesn't really want to be president.
Trump will resign right after the Inauguration.
Trump won't get anything done.
Trump will destroy the economy.
My Company announced everyone gets a bonus based on the new tax code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies