Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 08:24 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I repeat, don't care😒
Good for you.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:34 AM

46,315 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 What is the rights obsession with 'beta males'?

What's the lefts obsession with guns and sexual innuendoes?

Old 03-26-2018, 08:48 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't think you actually told your aunt what I said.

I said specifically "many therapists are against the very idea of using NEW trauma survivors as political activists, because NEW trauma survivors need to focus on healing." In whose world did I imply, they should not be talking. ALL I am saying is that maybe their opinion would change in the future. What the hell is wrong about that?

Either your aunt is not a good therapist, or you did not tell her what I said (twisted my words)

either way, I said what I said, I did not demonize these teenagers. ALL I said was "Maybe their opinions would change in the future after healing." I have no ideas what is there to argue about.

About your last paragraph, I have no ideas what universe I made it out to be. I lost many loved ones to suicide, at the very beginning, I blamed a lot of people, but now, I don't. My opinions have changed after healing. I cannot say that?

You really need to stop demonizing people who simply have a DIFFERENT opinion.

by the way, ask your aunt if she knows what "political activists" are. Sharing stories is called sharing survivor experiences, yes, it is healing. But being political activists is a completely different thing. sheesh
This can be looked at in a couple of different ways.
Yes, there is definitely a tendency when people become activists after a particular tragedy to place blame on some "other" in overwhelming disproportion to the actual event.
Pamela Gellar springs immediately as someone who has allowed her anger and grief to color her perceptions indiscriminately.
I remember people attacking many of the 9/11 widows because they continued to advocate past the time when people thought they should have just shut up, but who gets to make that decision, particularly when we are still taking our shoes off in airports and still can't bring more then 3 ounces of liquid through security?

That being said, there is also a lot of good that comes from this sort of activism and much of the good is a direct result of "striking when the iron is hot" as they say.
I don't think that anyone can fault the mothers who formed M.A.D.D. or the parents who advocated for Megan's Law or or the development of Amber Alerts or any of the myriad of other causes that have been pursued due to personal tragedy.

All of these due to people channeling their grief into activism.

No one can say how or when or for how long people should grieve.
Of course, actual revenge must be discouraged but advocating for change of the sort that Mr. Hogg is advocating is not vengeful. He hasn't called for death to gun dealers. He hasn't called for mass incarceration. He hasn't even called for an absolute gun ban.
There is nothing unhealthy in what he is doing.
And none of us are privy to the nature of any mental health care that he may be receiving.

Like others before him, he is simply addressing an issue and trying to save others from feeling the same pain that he himself is now feeling.

"David Kessler, an author, grief expert and founder of Grief.com, told CNN that these families have undergone what he calls the sixth stage of grief: "Finding meaning."
"We come away from something so devastating that we go, 'The story just can't end this way,'" Kessler said. "Their life needed to matter, and their death needed to have some meaning, so for many people, that spurs us into action.""

https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/11/healt...ing/index.html

"Both O’Reilly’s criticism and the reverse—reactions that admire how quickly the students resorted to activism—rely on a sense that grief and political activism are not natural partners. These responses seem to imply that the Parkland students’ fervor is either so soon that it’s brave, or too soon and therefore unreliable. The students’ quick turn to action is neither uncommon in American history nor detrimental to the process of grief.
While the Parkland movement is for many reasons unique in the history of activism, the immediacy of the students’ action isn’t one of them. Angus Johnston, a City University of New York professor who studies the history of student activism, pointed out that American civil-rights activists would often turn to political organizing right after a lynching took place."

Further, (from the same link) to your point:
"The healthiest roads entail what Brock called “active or approach-oriented coping”: “The person identifies that something bad happened, and they try to deal with it, to do something about it.”
What the students are doing, Brock said, could facilitate a journey that will last a long time—likely their whole lives. “It might be putting them in a better position to grieve,” he said. But they still must grieve. And that’s where the adults and peers in their lives come in. The activism is helpful “only to the extent” that family and friends are around to help ensure that the students are doing the work of dealing with the long-term grief that’s ahead of them, Brock said."

https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...tivism/554699/

Bottom line: people have to channel their grief their own way. It is too soon to know whether Mr. Hogg will succumb to the sort of paranoia that Pamela Gellar seems to suffer from as a result of her grief experience, but for right now, as long as his parents properly care for him, I see nothing wrong with him trying to change the world.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:49 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,612,664 times
Nice, adult men who buy semi-automatic weapons & mock teenagers on internet forums. Another profile of courage.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:53 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

Bottom line: people have to channel their grief their own way. It is too soon to know whether Mr. Hogg will succumb to the sort of paranoia that Pamela Gellar seems to suffer from as a result of her grief experience, but for right now, as long as his parents properly care for him, I see nothing wrong with him trying to change the world.
I see nothing wrong with him trying to change the world, either.

All I am saying is, "maybe his opinions would change, say five years from now."

That is all, no more/no less.

Some here want to read too much into my words, not my fault.

shrug

Old 03-26-2018, 09:00 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Nice, adult men who buy semi-automatic weapons & mock teenagers on internet forums. Another profile of courage.
Both of which are well within their Constitutional Rights. Doesn't mean you have to like them.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:02 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
On Remington and chapter 11 - they have had sales issues going back years, and a serious PR problem in the recent years because of the issues with the Remington 700 rifle and the 2014 settlement and recall of millions of rifles. They lost a ton of money on that, got tons of bad publicity, loss of faith in the market, etc.

That all happened before Trump was president, before the Lauderdale thing, before this kid became a SJW activist, etc.

Simple manufacturing defect which landed a corporation in judgment/settlement/recall Hell.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:15 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Quote:

shrug
I get what you're saying because people do react to tragedies with anger sometimes that dissipates over time. BUT what you're forgetting is there are victims of violence groups that were formed after other mass shootings that are outside of that five year window of yours who have jointed forces with the Parkland kids and they haven't changed their mission since their own children were mowed down. David and the other Parkland kids may soften their anger in the coming years but there is no way they are going to do a 180 on the issue of fighting for sensible gun control laws. I agree with you on hoping David's parents are getting him and his sister some professional grief support, which he did mention this weekend they've been getting at the school.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:18 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times
Quote:

shrug
For the last time: it does not matter where his opinion lies 5 years from now. It is irrelevant.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:19 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
There's 110,000,000+ million rifles in America. Of those around 30 or 40 million (no one knows the exact number) are modern sporting rifles(ARs,AKs, etc).

No one is turning in their rifles or 30 round mags. Not going to happen.

Hogg and his ignorant 17 and 18 year old friends are clueless and are becoming America's top gun salesmen. I've made several calls to local gunstores and ARs are once again quadrupling in sales in some of the stores.

Example in CT. Back around 2014 the state wanted all "assault weapons" registered and all high cap. Mags. Declared
Of the estimated 370,000 rifles only 50,000 were brought for registration. That's 13% compliance. Of the estimated 1 million High cap. Mags. Only 40,000 were declared. That's 4% compliance. And this is in Libby CT.

Anti-gunners efforts are futile.
Because calling teenagers names is so manly.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies