Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 12:08 PM

62,889 posts, read 29,114,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Ah, no.

Before the election, on the campaign trail, "Mexico is going to pay for the wall" was said, but "there are other ways to make them pay for it" was not.

In fact in this this quote, Trump said Mexico will be happy to pay for the wall. I don't remember anyone from Mexico saying that they were happily going to pay for the wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEAH5RRNBoA

Trump didn't say that the Mexican government said that. What he was saying is that rather than the alternative method of making them pay for it (Plan B) they would probably be happy to pay for it up front instead. They refused to so plan B goes into place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Rather than having our fine and highly trained military members build a wall, I have a better idea.

Why don't all of the people clamoring for the wall put their money where their mouths are. Sell your houses and vehicles; donate the money to the wall effort. Then, quit your jobs and head to the border.

The government can probably spare some shovels, rebar, and cement from the budget and you can all volunteer to build the wall yourselves.

We'll call it the Kushner Brigade, after that other famous volunteer in the WH.

It'll be pretty easy for you to know where to build; just follow that HUGE existing metal fence that runs across the entire state of California.

I live within walking distance of the Fence, so I'll even let you guys camp on my property for a few nights if you promise to pick up after yourselves and aren't too noisy.

Let me know when you'll be arriving so I can mark it on my calendar.

And in exchange for that the anti-wall people can pick up the entire tab of the over $100 billion a year that illegal aliens cost us. Kind of exaggerating that Americans would have to quit their jobs and sell all their assets to build it, isn't it? There are plenty who would donate their weekends and those whose are unemployed in the construction industry who would gladly help build it. They could contribute their tax dollars saved from no longer having to contribute to the social costs of illegal aliens and still be ahead of the game. Deal?

Old 03-25-2018, 12:20 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Why not bring all the troops all home and let them patrol the border?

That sounds like a win-win to me.
Can’t rep you again right now. But every post in this thread is irrelevant after this one.

Let’s stop sacrificing our troops to protect the Afghan poppy growers and the corrupt dictators of the Middle East. Our the mission of our military is to protect our country. So put them to work sealing our southern border against an ingoing invasion.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:21 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Trump didn't say that the Mexican government said that. What he was saying is that rather than the alternative method of making them pay for it (Plan B) they would probably be happy to pay for it up front instead. They refused to so plan B goes into place.
Protip: Threatening to implement "plan B" works so much better if you actually have a plan B - one with a remote chance of working.

And let me forestall your next post by pointing out that neither "taxing remissions" nor "introducing tariffs" fall in that category.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:23 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
And in exchange for that the anti-wall people can pick up the entire tab of the over $100 billion a year that illegal aliens cost us. Kind of exaggerating that Americans would have to quit their jobs and sell all their assets to build it, isn't it? There are plenty who would donate their weekends and those whose are unemployed in the construction industry who would gladly help build it. They could contribute their tax dollars saved from no longer having to contribute to the social costs of illegal aliens and still be ahead of the game. Deal?
It's a 100 billion now? Why not say "one thousand squadrimigillion", we'd at least get a chuckle out of that.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:25 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,779,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
What a disgusting post.....thousands of illegals pouring over our border because of their "dreams"? Why any American would condone this in-your-face taunting, never mind posting it is unbelievable.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:27 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,605,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Looks like Mexico isn't going to pay for the wall.

Sad.

https://twitter.com/VicenteFoxQue/st...00323479031813
Pretty disgraceful that Mexico's former president is bragging about how desperately people want to flee his country, and that the ones in the U.S. are so loath to go back!

Old 03-25-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think the wall is a silly idea.

I am still waiting for the Mexicans to pay for it.

Well, I voted for Trump, but certainly not because i liked the wall idea one bit.

I DO believe military should secure the border though.

Why do you view the wall as a silly idea when links have been provided proving that the good walls do work and it is cost effective? That makes no sense to me.

I've also stated that Trump never said that the Mexican government would write a check for it but he has a plan to force them to that will happen over time. What difference does it make who pays for it anyway when it is vital to the security of our country? Would you rather continue to pay the over $100 billion a year that illegal aliens cost us or help pay for a $25 billion wall? The choice is clear.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:39 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Why do you view the wall as a silly idea when links have been provided proving that the good walls do work and it is cost effective? That makes no sense to me.

I've also stated that Trump never said that the Mexican government would write a check for it but he has a plan to force them to that will happen over time. What difference does it make who pays for it anyway when it is vital to the security of our country? Would you rather continue to pay the over $100 billion a year that illegal aliens cost us or help pay for a $25 billion wall? The choice is clear.
What plan, and if he has a plan why was he asking Congress for money???
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-25-2018, 12:40 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,118,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The omnibus spending bill gave more than $700 billion for military expenditures. Why not use a small fraction of that (less than 3.5%) to get the Wall built by the military?

It sounds like an easy way forward to me.
Maybe each citizen can get a tax break to build a wall around their individual residential and business properties. It sounds like an easy forward to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies