Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the citizenship question be added on the 2020 Census?
Yes, we need to know! 58 86.57%
No, That question is not appropriate! 9 13.43%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 03:12 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,816 times

Advertisements

Non-U.S. citizens should have zero representation in Congress.

If it goes any way but that way it just shows 100% that this government is fully lawless and illegitimate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 04:03 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Shrug. its obvious that the goal here is to reduce the number counted. The constitution however lays out that it is supposed to count the number of people in a area.

The argument will come down to that it allows this to be done as laid out in the law, but what if the law is designed to not count the number of actual people, but rather to distort it.

I think it will lose on constitutional grounds.
That does not even makes sense, the added question does not prevent anyone from filling out the form. Also, the question is on the American Community Survey, and another poster stated this is an issue involving the short form only, not the long form, though I have not verified.

I am not seeing the issue with it; is there a fear over answering a citizenship question? Has the US suck so low it is now a debate whether or not to ask such a question?

Old 03-27-2018, 04:28 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Note to conservatives: the purpose of US Census is to count the demographics of the RESIDENTS in the United States. It is not designed to be a means of enforcing immigration laws. But Trump, stroking his bizarre obsession with illegal immigration, has to pander to his personal desires, instead of adhering to the original purpose of the census.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:24 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
That does not even makes sense, the added question does not prevent anyone from filling out the form. Also, the question is on the American Community Survey, and another poster stated this is an issue involving the short form only, not the long form, though I have not verified.

I am not seeing the issue with it; is there a fear over answering a citizenship question? Has the US suck so low it is now a debate whether or not to ask such a question?
The added question doesn't prevent them, its designed to intimidate them. And the result will be a lower census count because of it.

And there is absolutely fear of answering the question. The last time the US told a group of people that if they answered this question, and registered it, they would be safe was the DACA folks.

The question I have is...is it constitutional to ask a question that is designed to intimidate, and lower the count?

I *think* it is, but im not sure.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:09 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,991,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
Non-U.S. citizens should have zero representation in Congress.

If it goes any way but that way it just shows 100% that this government is fully lawless and illegitimate.
Yes, the representation of congress should only be judged by the population of US CITIZENS. ILLEGALS do not count. So they can take a hike, and I really hope this goes through. There is a current bill that is in congress that if passed will make a judges injuction only be applicable in the jurisdiction . I really hope it passes.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:16 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The census was created to count the number of AMERICANS to allocate representation. Illegals, tourists, etc. are not to be counted.
While the census information is used for representation that isn't its sole and only purpose.

In addition to collecting population data for the purposes of accurately apportioning congressional districts, the federal government uses census data, among other reasons, to determine:

The allocation of federal funding for education programs in states and communities.
National social and health statistics used by a variety of agencies for policy purposes.
The allocation of federal dollars for law enforcement, federal highway projects, aid to farmers and many other federally financed activities and programs.
A wide variety of economic statistics that become the basis of the nation's economic policies.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:18 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Yes, the representation of congress should only be judged by the population of US CITIZENS. ILLEGALS do not count. So they can take a hike, and I really hope this goes through. There is a current bill that is in congress that if passed will make a judges injuction only be applicable in the jurisdiction . I really hope it passes.
That is actually not what the constitution says.

But hey that is just a piece of paper right?

Old 03-27-2018, 06:21 PM

62,972 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Note to conservatives: the purpose of US Census is to count the demographics of the RESIDENTS in the United States. It is not designed to be a means of enforcing immigration laws. But Trump, stroking his bizarre obsession with illegal immigration, has to pander to his personal desires, instead of adhering to the original purpose of the census.

How does asking if one is a citizen or non-citizen enforcing immigration laws? Legal immigrants are non-citizens also.

Bizarre obsession with illegal immigration? WTH does that mean? How is it bizarre to want to secure our border and to deport illegal aliens?

Old 03-27-2018, 06:31 PM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Shrug. its obvious that the goal here is to reduce the number counted. The constitution however lays out that it is supposed to count the number of people in a area.
Why should the Census count people who aren't supposed to be here?

Old 03-27-2018, 06:43 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,901,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
U.S. citizens should have superior rights in the U.S. compared to non-U.S. citizens.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

But in fairy land California anything is possible. "We need more airport security" while letting insecure individuals enter the US. Well gee twinkle toes, your thesis is a joke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies