Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Modify indoor smoking ban? Please read post before answering.
Modify indoor smoking ban to let bar owners (adult-only bars) decide AND institute outdoor ban to protect shared airspace. 33 50.00%
Keep indoor ban as is and add outdoor ban. 12 18.18%
Keep indoor ban, add outdoor ban, and add ban on smoking in private residences and cars when children are present. 21 31.82%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 11:57 AM

1,066 posts, read 631,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The bar owner should decide and then customers can choose to patronize or not.
Too much freedom for you penguin?

Smokers have the freedom to walk outside. Whoever thinks its a good idea to smoke inside an enclosed environment where everywhere is ingesting is stupid. Lol that smoke came out of your mouth, no I do not want to breathe it. Children should absolutely not be questionable, if this is a place with children especially, ban it. Why ruin their health in a smokebox so their parent can get a fix or neighboring guest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 12:06 PM

17,657 posts, read 17,790,535 times
I am a life long NON-SMOKER. My answer wasn’t on the choices. I’m in favor of abolishing government smoking bans on privately owned businesses and dwellings. The decisions should have always been left up to the free market and the individual business/property owners. Now that the government took control of this part of our lives, some cities have gone so far as to ban smoking in outdoor cafes and patios, sidewalks, city parks, beaches, attached dwellings, and some have even proposed bans on smoking indoors within your own private unattached home. I once argued that once they enact laws on the grounds of public health then it would open the door to other such laws. Look at the attempt to limit soda sizes, banning of trans fats from restaurants. What’s next?

Old 03-31-2018, 12:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,948,962 times
am an X smoker, hate the smell of it anymore and shutter to think young kids are still picking up the habit, but I still think it should be left to the discretion of a business if they will allow smoking or not.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:29 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,573,097 times
Let's just ban every damn thing and stop everyone from whining wait never mind they will still whine about something.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:30 PM

2,646 posts, read 1,851,598 times
Never smoked. The thing I hate about smoking, is that some folks are careless, about putting out their smokes. We just had a horrible fire in our town. A smoker put the cig in a planter at a townhome development, and the embers were not out. The thing caught fire and spread to a gas meter and destroyed 20 townhomes. The smoker is not being charged, but will have to live with that for the rest of their lives. 70 people are out of homes. No one was hurt, some animals died.

Just make sure your flames are out. Those things catch like wildfire. Does not seem like a hard thing to do. Squish out that cig.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:31 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,784,755 times
Business owners should decide what they will allow in their business. If you don't like it, don't go there.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:36 PM

19,735 posts, read 10,171,428 times
No one should have the right to poison kids with smoke. even their own kids.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:53 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,784,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
No one should have the right to poison kids with smoke. even their own kids.
This is true. In fact, no one should have the right to poison kids with anything, even their own kids.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:02 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,350,215 times
Smoking is a health hazard, not only to the smoker, but anyone who is subjected to the smoke ("second hand smoke"). This is not even arguable. There has been plenty of research to back it up.

Not only is it a health hazard, it is rude to smoke around other people who are not smokers.

For the record, I have never smoked in my life, and my wife quit "cold turkey" many years ago after her doctor told her she was not the type of person who could smoke and not suffer bad effects (like cancer). Her brother died of lung cancer a few years ago. He was young (about 50, I think).

Old 03-31-2018, 03:13 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,575,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Great questions, what's next remove children from homes where a parent may decide to have a drink with alcohol?
If drinking made children inebriated, sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies