Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 06:24 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Also, it's interesting the number of assaults carried out with knives in London. Knives are heavily restricted with no locking blades allowed. Even my little 2" Spyderco Dragonfly would be illegal.
Are you serious? I guess my Benchmades would put me in prison. Can't imagine going anywhere without a knife-it's not a weapon, it's a tool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 07:07 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
London's murder rate has overtaken New York City's for the first time ever as the twelfth person has been killed in just 19 days.

February marked the first month in history books that London had more murders than the American city with a total of 15 homicides. Out of the 15 killed, nine were aged 30 or younger.

In March, there were 22 murders, which is likely to match if not beat out New York's numbers.

Man in his 20s is stabbed to death to become 12th capital murder victim in 19 days | Daily Mail Online

Goes with my theory that bad people will do bad things. Simply banning some weapons won't change anything.
Remove all guns in England... oh it is a no gun law country!

Let’s ban all knife’s and let cut foot with a fork unti fork attacks will take over!

Or maybe address mental illness and Muslim extremists as these are the two causes of evil

Old 04-01-2018, 08:35 PM

30,171 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Crime rates will go up and down. The biggest correlation to crime is poverty. NYC probably has the lowest guns per capita in the US, so I don’t think that is the correlation here. NYC and London are both safer then most American cities.
This is one persons guess to how many guns are in NYC
https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-numb...-New-York-City

Reality is with strict gun laws and a $5,000 for a permit many guns are bought illegally or brought in from other states.

NYC has had crime reduction initially because of the great work of Guilini and more recently gentrification and the fact its very expensive to live in New York. The lower class people who commit most of the crimes are pushed out.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:45 PM

30,171 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
How did he create the crime decrease if murder rates started dropping in 2013 passed the U.S wide rate drop? Crime halved nationwide while Giuliani was in office only did 2013 did the city of New York stopped following national trends and dropped by itself.
Violent Crime and Murder rates dropped dramatically during Guilini and Bratton. Compstat and other innovative measures made the difference and Bloomberg with Kelly continued those methods.

What exactly has DiBlasio done to lower crime rates? He is just in the right place at the right time and the trend is his friend in crime dropping.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:46 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Are you serious? I guess my Benchmades would put me in prison. Can't imagine going anywhere without a knife-it's not a weapon, it's a tool.
That's why every Boy Scout had a knife.

When I was a kid, I had a subscription to Boy's Life, and guns were advertised regularly within its pages. Remington and all the others.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:06 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,188 posts, read 13,477,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Remove all guns in England... oh it is a no gun law country!

Let’s ban all knife’s and let cut foot with a fork unti fork attacks will take over!

Or maybe address mental illness and Muslim extremists as these are the two causes of evil
Americans seem to have been told that Britain is somehow gun free, when it's anything but, indeed shooting and hunting are popular sports, and farmers, gamekeepers and people in rural areas usually haverifles and shotguns.The main difference is that guns are seen as either for sport and recreation purposes or part of someones work, such as a gamekeeper, rather than a form of protection.

There are rifle ranges and gun clubs, clay pigeon shooting, hunting organisations etc across the UK, the most famous being Bisley which is the Headquarters of the UK National Rifle Association, which predates the US NRA. The UK NRA is very different to the US Organisation of the same name and is more than happy to advocate sensible gun controls. The UK NRA also tends to keep it's distance from US Gun politics.

Guns you can legally buy in the UK - Business Insider

NRA » The National Rifle Association of the United Kingdom

CPSA: Clay Pigeon Shooting Association

British Shooting

Bisley Shooting Ground

Shooting Club Directory

Shooting - The Field

There are also loads of famous shotgun and rifle manufacturers such as James Purdey, Boss, Holland & Holland etc, and in terms of sniper rifles companies such as Accuracy International.

Alphabetic List of Modern British Gun Makers. - The DoubleGun BBS

Accuracy International: the world's finest sniper rifles

You can also carry a small knife sich as a swiss army utility type knife or any knife providing you have good reason sch as your employment.

UK Knife Law - Hunters Knives

Old 04-02-2018, 07:19 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,100,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Spyderco makes a non-locking model for sale in the UK. Better than nothing I guess.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:27 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
You can also carry a small knife sich as a swiss army utility type knife or any knife providing you have good reason sch as your employment.
You need a GOOD REASON like employment to carry a small Swiss Army knife, and you think that is "reasonable"? How about, normal, day to day chores that require a cutting tool, scissors, screwdriver, etc where you just can't carry all of those individually? That is absolutely ridiculous as are your gun laws. It seems in the UK the value of the law abiding's right to life is very small.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:42 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,188 posts, read 13,477,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You need a GOOD REASON like employment to carry a small Swiss Army knife, and you think that is "reasonable"? How about, normal, day to day chores that require a cutting tool, scissors, screwdriver, etc where you just can't carry all of those individually? That is absolutely ridiculous as are your gun laws. It seems in the UK the value of the law abiding's right to life is very small.
The Criminal Justice Act 1988 (s139) allows folding knives (pocket knives) of less than 3" (76mm) to be carried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Police UK

It is illegal to carry a knife in public without good reason - unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, e.g. a Swiss Army knife (a "lock knife" does not come into the category of "folding pocket knife" because it is not immediately foldable at all times)

Possession of weapons - Police.uk

Old 04-02-2018, 07:44 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
London's murder rate has overtaken New York City's for the first time ever as the twelfth person has been killed in just 19 days.

February marked the first month in history books that London had more murders than the American city with a total of 15 homicides. Out of the 15 killed, nine were aged 30 or younger.

In March, there were 22 murders, which is likely to match if not beat out New York's numbers.

Man in his 20s is stabbed to death to become 12th capital murder victim in 19 days | Daily Mail Online

Goes with my theory that bad people will do bad things. Simply banning some weapons won't change anything.

They should ban guns and take them away from the citizens!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies