Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 05:17 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times

Advertisements

Trump signed proclamation to send NG to border. It should have the desired effect on national security and trade. NAFTA

Smart move by the President. Lets hope its a large force with necessary aircraft and surveillance measures.

On trade its puts negotiations in a different light. Mexico will know we are serious about both trade and securing the border.

It should allow more BP to secure the Ca border where the Gov. is likely not to cooperate.

Replace the "to sign" with "did sign" in the link as there are question that still apply.

Trump signs proclamation sending National Guard to Mexico border immediately | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 05:42 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
OK explain to me how the national guard being sent there is related to nafta.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:43 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
..optics, baby...

Old 04-04-2018, 05:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
I'm glad he did it. Hopefully it sticks but I'd expect the liberals to lose their minds over this one. What's really funny is all I've been reading (on here) today is how Trump can't do what he just did.
LOVE IT!

Old 04-04-2018, 06:16 PM

1,225 posts, read 606,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'm glad he did it. Hopefully it sticks but I'd expect the liberals to lose their minds over this one. What's really funny is all I've been reading (on here) today is how Trump can't do what he just did.
LOVE IT!
No, people said he can’t send the big army to the border, not the National Guard. Most liberals I’ve seen have reminded that Obama’s done it himself

Old 04-04-2018, 06:18 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
I don't understand how Trump can do this without Brown's OK. What am I missing? Isn't the NG state controlled?

Old 04-04-2018, 06:22 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
National Guard Would Be Waste of Resources, Border Patrol Agents Say

Border Patrol agents, and leaders from their union, argue that the National Guard would not augment existing manpower because troops are limited in what they can actually do.

Shawn Moran, vice president for the National Border Patrol Council, says when troops were deployed to border states in 2006-2008 for Operation Jump Start, they could not “make contact with illegal aliens,” let alone arrest them.

The troops were also unarmed.

“They were mostly line-watching with binoculars on mountains and helping use surveillance cameras,” said Moran, speaking at a Border Patrol event Wednesday on Capitol Hill.

Moran said Border Patrol would have to assign agents to stand side-by-side with troops, diverting resources from arresting people.

“The theory is that it [the National Guard] frees up agents to do patrols,” Moran said. “But it takes a lot of training and experience to put agents in the right places. There’s no net gain in manpower. The National Guard is good at building infrastructure, like border fences and all-weather roads. They’re the best in the world at that. But I have serious concerns about how they will be utilized. We have to see what the governor has in store.”

https://www.dailysignal.com/2014/07/...ol-agents-say/
More smoke and mirrors from Trump's circus and side shows.

These folks will be patching up holes in fences and not much else.

Quote:
With troops’ power limited, Border Patrol leaders question the cost of using the National Guard.

Operation Strong Surge costs $1.3 million a week; the combined operation, with the National Guard deployment, will cost more than $17 million a month. It’s unclear how it will be funded, Perry said.

“Sending troops is much more expensive than any enhanced manpower that would come internally,” said Brandon Judd, president of the Border Patrol union, which represents 16,500 agents. “There’s a reason we don’t put military on the border and have them arrest people. I don’t know how they would have arrest power unless you trained them in immigration law to learn how to enforce those laws. It opens the government up to lawsuits galore.”
Trump...the moron that does not understand how anything works except for pandering...strikes again...lol

Old 04-04-2018, 06:23 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,782,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I don't understand how Trump can do this without Brown's OK. What am I missing? Isn't the NG state controlled?
The fed can activate the NG in times of national emergency.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:30 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
The fed can activate the NG in times of national emergency.
I think you would be hard pressed to declare a emergency here.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:30 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

Notice how they are connected.

Its not uncommon to put things in trade agreements that are not directly related to the exchange of goods.
TPP was noted for a few pages dealing with actual trade of goods and more than 95 % of the 5,000 pages dealing with other issues. Issues like how multinational companies can disregard our laws and impose their will on citizens.

Including border security issues in a new NAFTA agreement makes good sense and putting the NG on the border sends the message the US is serious about controlling the border. Mexico will have to be more serious about their responsibility on our shared border if they want to trade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies