Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2018, 11:59 AM

62,974 posts, read 29,162,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
You are correct. I just read on ABC News this morning this group is only temporarily stopping and some will apply for visas in Mexico and the rest have all intention on continuing heading to U.S....

Its absurd that some fellow Americans see this as no problem and instead are making snide, mocking comments to those of us who want these people stopped.

Agreed. I makes me sick reading all these snide, mocking comments. What kind of Americans are they? I know one thing, those who oppose the wall or securing our border in any way want the flow of illegals and others who think we should provide for them on our soil to continue as they either hire them for profit, are stupid bleeding heart liberals or have ethnic ties to illegal aliens. They just won't admit it. Then there is your standard Trump hater that just buck him at anything he wants to do up to and including securing our border. Yeah, real loyal, law abiding Americans they are. If Obama had done the same thing I wouldn't have criticized him even though I didn't like him, I would have praised him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
The NG will perform vehicle maintenance for the Border Patrol and also give medical aid to those apprehended at the border.

Maybe they'll cook meals for the Border Patrol too, since they'll be sitting around looking for something to do, but they won't be allowed to apprehend people crossing the border.

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

"Holy Week," etc. are only to be used for half-hearted apologies, don't you know.
All that stuff about loving others as ourselves and whatnot is just nice poetry.

"Real" American Christians know what Christ really meant. He really meant hate all of the same people we hate.
Or something.
hmm, I think most people (Christians or not) understand that each country has an immigration law and that law needs to be respected and enforced.

It is actually a very simple concept.

Ezekiel 47:22–23, is a calling to care for those that are in the land to believers. Does it justify those that come illegally? I think not.

I don't know if you are calling yourself a real Christian, nor do I know what your definition of a real Christian, I don't think the definition is really that important here, unless one wants to divide and conquer.

This said, My understanding is that, as Christian hosts, our duty is hospitality whenever we find a needy person before us. An example would be Bishop Myriel in Les Misérables

This is different, however, from justifying the “illegal” immigrant. people immigrate whether legally or not, it cannot be denied that some do not have a valid reason for leaving their home countries except that “the grass is greener on the other side.” Neither Ezekiel 47 nor any other verse in the Bible justifies that.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:02 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,650,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yep, but it doesn't matter how many positions they add, they already have 1200 authorized but vacant CBP positions. Two thirds of the applicants can't pass a polygraph, the attrition rate is 6% per year twice what it is for other federal law enforcement jobs. Both the pay and the duty stations just plain suck. https://federalnewsradio.com/hiring-...ing-shortages/
I'm well aware of this as I have many friends who are Border Patrol agents and I hear their complaints about pay and long hours.

However, even with the vacancies we still have MORE Border Patrol agents stationed at the border then we did during the 1990s when the number of illegals being apprehended was more than 5 times the number caught last year.

Also keep in mind that for the last 10 years, the Border Patrol has been installing and successfully using technological means of protecting the border (drones, infrared cameras, etc.). So they are working more efficiently, even if they are not at full staffing.

So, even though people might want to believe that there are more "hordes" than ever before crossing through the desert trying to invade America, the Border Patrol's own numbers simply don't support that idea.

As I said, that doesn't mean that illegals aren't coming in through other means (airports, official border crossing stations, the northern border, by sea).

But, I can literally see the border from my back yard and I can tell you that, while I DID see hordes coming through in the Bush and Clinton administrations, that isn't happening NOW.

Last edited by RosieSD; 04-05-2018 at 12:11 PM..

Old 04-05-2018, 12:03 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I guess the over $100 billion a year that illegal aliens cost us is just loose change for the liberal left.
That is a made up number brought to you by CIS / FAIR/NumbersUSA all run by the nutjob John Tanton

https://www.cato.org/blog/center-imm...nt-welfare-use

https://www.mediamatters.org/researc...ps-rese/205368

Old 04-05-2018, 12:04 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Also, for those who believe that the Southern border is suddenly being overwhelmed by an invasion of illegal aliens, here is some additional information from the U.S. Border Patrol.

It shows the number of illegal aliens who were apprehended by the Border Patrol along the Southern Border (California - Texas) from 1960 until 2017.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...-%20FY2017.pdf

If you actually look at the data, you'll see that the number of illegals apprehended at the Southern border last year was the lowest since 1971.

We HAVE had years where we have been overwhelmed with illegal crossings at the Southern year. But, we are not CURRENTLY having hordes of illegals sneaking across the Southern border.

Let's take a look at the BEST and WORST years for each administration going back to Carter to see what we might learn about how things are going at the border today.

Carter Highest: 795,808 (1978) Lowest: 690,554 (1980)

Reagan Highest: 1,616,844 (1986) Lowest: 942,561 (1988)

Bush Sr Highest: 1,212,886 (1992) Lowest: 852,506 (1989)

Clinton Highest: 1,537,000 (1999) Lowest (1993: 979,101

Bush JR Highest: 1,643,679 (2000) Lowest (2007): 858,638

Obama Highest: 705,005 (2008) Lowest (2011) 327,577

Trump -- 2017 303,916

So, really, if you believe the Border Patrol (which I do), starting with Obama, they started seeing FAR LESS illegals coming across the southern border and, as I said, last year, the first year of Trump's administration they saw the LOWEST numbers of any president going back to Jimmy Carter. (Actually, you'd have to go back to Nixon to see lower numbers).

My question is this: what has changed in the last three months to suddenly make it such a crisis situation?

Certainly, it can't be a "caravan" of less than 1000 people. That wouldn't even get the numbers anywhere close to any other year since the 1970s.

Of course, this is the number of apprehensions along the southern border. It doesn't reflect the number of illegals who just come in at an airport or by crossing at a border crossing on a tourist visa or other short term visa and just never go home.

That is why I keep saying that I think spending billions to build a wall on the Southern border isn't where the big push needs to be.

Okay. There are still pencil dicks from Obama's swamp inside the CBP. They can manipulate and make those numbers say anything they want. Those numbers are only for apprehensions. That's not the number that made it across the border and evaded apprehension. Those numbers are meaningless.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:05 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,037,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Trump signed proclamation to send NG to border. It should have the desired effect on national security and trade. NAFTA

Smart move by the President. Lets hope its a large force with necessary aircraft and surveillance measures.

On trade its puts negotiations in a different light. Mexico will know we are serious about both trade and securing the border.

It should allow more BP to secure the Ca border where the Gov. is likely not to cooperate.

Replace the "to sign" with "did sign" in the link as there are question that still apply.

Trump signs proclamation sending National Guard to Mexico border immediately | Fox News
First politician to follow up on campaign promises.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Trust me. I'm well aware of this as I have many friends who are Border Patrol agents. Keep in mind that for the last 10 years, the Border Patrol has been installing and successfully using technological means of protecting the border (drones, infrared cameras, etc.).

And, of course, even with the vacancies we still have MORE Border Patrol agents stationed at the border then we did during the 1990s when the number of illegals being apprehended was more than 4 times what was last year.

People might want to believe that there are "hordes" crossing through the desert trying to invade America. But, the Border Patrol's own numbers simply don't support that idea.

As I said, that doesn't mean that illegals aren't coming in through other means (airports, official border crossing stations, the northern border, by sea).

But, I can literally see the border from my back yard and I can tell you that, while I DID see hordes coming through in the Bush and Clinton administrations, that isn't happening NOW.
Very true and I'm sure if you talk to Border Patrol agents they will tell you that the real problem is occurring at the 328 ports of entry in the US, but I guess fixing that problem isn't as sexy as building 30 foot walls and deploying the troops

Old 04-05-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Okay. There are still pencil dicks from Obama's swamp inside the CBP. They can manipulate and make those numbers say anything they want. Those numbers are only for apprehensions. That's not the number that made it across the border and evaded apprehension. Those numbers are meaningless.
That's just plain silly. Career civil service agents don't manipulate data- you must be confusing them with Trump's Cabinet members.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:12 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Also, for those who believe that the Southern border is suddenly being overwhelmed by an invasion of illegal aliens, here is some additional information from the U.S. Border Patrol.

It shows the number of illegal aliens who were apprehended by the Border Patrol along the Southern Border (California - Texas) from 1960 until 2017.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...-%20FY2017.pdf

If you actually look at the data, you'll see that the number of illegals apprehended at the Southern border last year was the lowest since 1971.

We HAVE had years where we have been overwhelmed with illegal crossings at the Southern year. But, we are not CURRENTLY having hordes of illegals sneaking across the Southern border.

Let's take a look at the BEST and WORST years for each administration going back to Carter to see what we might learn about how things are going at the border today.

Carter Highest: 795,808 (1978) Lowest: 690,554 (1980)

Reagan Highest: 1,616,844 (1986) Lowest: 942,561 (1988)

Bush Sr Highest: 1,212,886 (1992) Lowest: 852,506 (1989)

Clinton Highest: 1,537,000 (1999) Lowest (1993: 979,101

Bush JR Highest: 1,643,679 (2000) Lowest (2007): 858,638

Obama Highest: 705,005 (2008) Lowest (2011) 327,577

Trump -- 2017 303,916

So, really, if you believe the Border Patrol (which I do), starting with Obama, they started seeing FAR LESS illegals coming across the southern border and, as I said, last year, the first year of Trump's administration they saw the LOWEST numbers of any president going back to Jimmy Carter. (Actually, you'd have to go back to Nixon to see lower numbers).

My question is this: what has changed in the last three months to suddenly make it such a crisis situation?

Certainly, it can't be a "caravan" of less than 1000 people. That wouldn't even get the numbers anywhere close to any other year since the 1970s.

Of course, this is the number of apprehensions along the southern border. It doesn't reflect the number of illegals who just come in at an airport or by crossing at a border crossing on a tourist visa or other short term visa and just never go home.

That is why I keep saying that I think spending billions to build a wall on the Southern border isn't where the big push needs to be.

Who has said that a wall will stop visa over stayers? That problem needs to be addressed in a different way. Why do you people keep repeating that when illegal entry at our border is also a problem? You just want to ignore one problem and only focus on the other? WTH? I want both problems addressed. Who cares if illegal entry is supposedly down? There are still many doing it. I swear I think I'm talking to a bunch of kindergarten students in here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies