Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2018, 11:09 AM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
And it will cost a mere 60 to 100m.
Just some loose change for the GOP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 11:18 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Here's an interesting factoid that those who feel President Obama did nothing about the border.

In 2010, he signed a border protection bill into law that added 1500 border patrol agents and paid for drones that now cover every single inch of the border. That's the same year that Obama also deployed the National Guard to support the border patrol. The measure sailed through Congress in little more than a week with broad bipartisan support.

The Spending Bill President Trump signed last month? He added just 328 new Border Patrol agents.

So, since he wasn't able to get Congress to pay for additional Border Patrol agents (who can actually do things like make arrests, detentions and interrogate border crossers), it makes sense for him to also deploy the National Guard like Obama and Bush did.

Now, to be fair, the number of Border Patrol agents during Obama's administration did decline slightly from their peak numbers, but by the end of his administration, he still had MORE border Patrol agents than any other President in history.

Interestingly, the 328 agents added in the Bill Trump signed will just barely bring the number of agents up to the LOWEST number in Obama's years. (Here is the actual data from the Border Patrol itself: https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...992-FY2017.pdf)

It is a shame that President Trump wasn't able to get Congress to approve more agents since protecting the border is one of his main focuses, but as I said, I'm sure they will appreciate the support from the National Guard, just like they did during Obama and Bush's administration.
Yep, but it doesn't matter how many positions they add, they already have 1200 authorized but vacant CBP positions. Two thirds of the applicants can't pass a polygraph, the attrition rate is 6% per year twice what it is for other federal law enforcement jobs. Both the pay and the duty stations just plain suck. https://federalnewsradio.com/hiring-...ing-shortages/

Old 04-05-2018, 11:47 AM

3,826 posts, read 1,780,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
No, the caravan won't "dissipate." This is just a distraction to take the focus off them. They've already said they are coming north no matter what. There is no need to sneak across the border you know. You "present" yourself to the border guard, processed and asked to appear in front of an administrative judge in, oh may be 2 years? You're in.
You are correct. I just read on ABC News this morning this group is only temporarily stopping and some will apply for visas in Mexico and the rest have all intention on continuing heading to U.S....

Its absurd that some fellow Americans see this as no problem and instead are making snide, mocking comments to those of us who want these people stopped.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:47 AM

62,871 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Just some loose change for the GOP.

I guess the over $100 billion a year that illegal aliens cost us is just loose change for the liberal left.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:49 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Also, for those who believe that the Southern border is suddenly being overwhelmed by an invasion of illegal aliens, here is some additional information from the U.S. Border Patrol.

It shows the number of illegal aliens who were apprehended by the Border Patrol along the Southern Border (California - Texas) from 1960 until 2017.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...-%20FY2017.pdf

If you actually look at the data, you'll see that the number of illegals apprehended at the Southern border last year was the lowest since 1971.

We HAVE had years where we have been overwhelmed with illegal crossings at the Southern year. But, we are not CURRENTLY having hordes of illegals sneaking across the Southern border.

Let's take a look at the BEST and WORST years for each administration going back to Carter to see what we might learn about how things are going at the border today.

Carter Highest: 795,808 (1978) Lowest: 690,554 (1980)

Reagan Highest: 1,616,844 (1986) Lowest: 942,561 (1988)

Bush Sr Highest: 1,212,886 (1992) Lowest: 852,506 (1989)

Clinton Highest: 1,537,000 (1999) Lowest (1993: 979,101

Bush JR Highest: 1,643,679 (2000) Lowest (2007): 858,638

Obama Highest: 705,005 (2008) Lowest (2011) 327,577

Trump -- 2017 303,916

So, really, if you believe the Border Patrol (which I do), starting with Obama, they started seeing FAR LESS illegals coming across the southern border and, as I said, last year, the first year of Trump's administration they saw the LOWEST numbers of any president going back to Jimmy Carter. (Actually, you'd have to go back to Nixon to see lower numbers).

My question is this: what has changed in the last three months to suddenly make it such a crisis situation?

Certainly, it can't be a "caravan" of less than 1000 people. That wouldn't even get the numbers anywhere close to any other year since the 1970s.

Of course, this is the number of apprehensions along the southern border. It doesn't reflect the number of illegals who just come in at an airport or by crossing at a border crossing on a tourist visa or other short term visa and just never go home.

That is why I keep saying that I think spending billions to build a wall on the Southern border isn't where the big push needs to be.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:52 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,081,658 times
^ Interesting, I'll admit those #'s for former POTUS Obama caught me off guard.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
How many guardsmen do they need to for a few thousand miles of border, where are they housing them, who’s picking up the tab, where will they House the illegal immigrants they capture. This is vintage Trump, put down the Pom-poms and ask some questions.

So your solution is just to let anyone enter our country at will? There are costs associated with any law enforcement it's a necessary evil. Why is securing our border any different?

If you want to know the answer to your questions about the National Guard being sent down there then look for your answers for the other times they were sent down there under different administrations. Why is it only an issue to your lefty liberals because Trump is doing it this time?

Old 04-05-2018, 11:53 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
As if such thing never happened.
So because something happened you can show a picture of something else happening and that's serves as, what? Virtual proof? Some other people riding on a train is meaningful how? Talk about being led around by a ring in your nose.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:54 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post

My question is this: what has changed in the last three months to suddenly make it such a crisis situation?

Certainly, it can't be a "caravan" of less than 1000 people. That wouldn't even get the numbers anywhere close to any other year since the 1970s.

I'll bet you a taco it's because Fox news was saying mean things about Trump, and that always sets him off, so he made this a big issue, and I gotta say, it certainly works well among certain groups.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-05-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Government by focus group.
It's the modern way.

"Holy Week," etc. are only to be used for half-hearted apologies, don't you know.
All that stuff about loving others as ourselves and whatnot is just nice poetry.

"Real" American Christians know what Christ really meant. He really meant hate all of the same people we hate.
Or something.

Thanks for that walk down the path of lunacy.
Never gets old.

What does hate have to do with the topic at hand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies