Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2018, 07:13 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Denying a worker the right to use resources that you claim for yourself is an act of aggression though.
Which is bad news for Joe. But good news for Electrical Renal failure guy.

Are you making this up on the fly?

Old 04-20-2018, 07:25 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
How in the hell is self-ownership a "faulty premise" and a "contradiction?" Of course we own our own bodies.

If you say we don't own our own bodies, who does--the State? If so you're saying the State can tell us what we can eat, drink, smoke, or otherwise ingest because we're just renting our bodies from them. You're saying that a woman can't have an abortion unless the State approves. That we can't get tattoos or piercings. That we can only have haircuts approved by the State.

Self-ownership is the single most important benefit of being born.
People are not property.

Children are not owned by their family. & so on.

The concept is important to your religion. Some folks don't buy what you're selling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 07:25 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,428,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Which is bad news for Joe. But good news for Electrical Renal failure guy.

Are you making this up on the fly?
Resources as in a mine or a crop field, not tools of production.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Nozick takes his position to follow from a basic moral principle associated with Immanuel Kant and enshrined in Kant's second formulation of his famous Categorical Imperative: "Act so that you treat humanity, whether in your own person or in that of another, always as an end and never as a means only." The idea here is that a human being, as a rational agent endowed with self-awareness, free will, and the possibility of formulating a plan of life, has an inherent dignity and cannot properly be treated as a mere thing, or used against his will as an instrument or resource in the way an inanimate object might be.
https://www.iep.utm.edu/nozick/

People are not inanimate objects.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
While both platforms begin with a faulty premise, a dysfunctional syllogistic argument so to speak, a sophistry.

Children aren't even fooled by it, simply this; people are not property, they cannot be owned like property. Without the faulty premise of 'self-ownership', a contradiction in terms ~ it all falls apart.

If there is no premise of self ownership why are people not property? Because you said so? Well if we accept that there is no concept of self ownership, I say people can be property, or if not that then anyone has equal claim on the product of anyone else's labor (because you don't own it, you said you don't own yourself, how can you own your labor? If you agree PM me for my PayPal account so you can send me your salary, I also accept cryptos).

Further if you don't own yourself as people have already said, are bad health choices, tattoos, elective medical procedures, all a form of vandalism? Can they be prosecuted? How can people sue for medical negligence for damage to something they don't own?

Old 04-20-2018, 07:42 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,117,826 times
Quote:
People are not property.

Children are not owned by their family. & so on.

The concept is important to your religion. Some folks don't buy what you're selling.
For some reason you are unable to discern the difference between ownership of self and ownership of others. You are your OWN property, and own yourself by virtue of birth; conversely, you cannot own another person as that requires force.

The concept of collectivism is important to your religion, but some folks don't buy what you're selling.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:

People are not inanimate objects.
Neither are dogs, cats, parrots, horses, lettuce, coral, bacteria, fungi.

Can I own a cat, dog, or mushroom?

You're right that parents don't own their kids, because hey surprise their kids own themselves .

Old 04-20-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
But, to a renal transplant surgeon, one of his materials (thus resources) are kidneys.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
If there is no premise of self ownership why are people not property? Because you said so? Well if we accept that there is no concept of self ownership, I say people can be property, or if not that then anyone has equal claim on the product of anyone else's labor (because you don't own it, you said you don't own yourself, how can you own your labor? If you agree PM me for my PayPal account so you can send me your salary, I also accept cryptos).

Further if you don't own yourself as people have already said, are bad health choices, tattoos, elective medical procedures, all a form of vandalism? Can they be prosecuted? How can people sue for medical negligence for damage to something they don't own?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
For some reason you are unable to discern the difference between ownership of self and ownership of others. You are your OWN property, and own yourself by virtue of birth; conversely, you cannot own another person as that requires force.

The concept of collectivism is important to your religion, but some folks don't buy what you're selling.
Your religion falls apart without self-ownership.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:08 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,117,826 times
Quote:
Your religion falls apart without self-ownership.
Your religion falls apart with self-ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies