Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 08:47 PM

45,584 posts, read 27,203,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Even I didn’t pay it any attention, until my Shell card bill came in the mail. Holy cow!! My monthly bill was 20% higher than last month and we drove about the same mileage as usual.

WTH? I thought all of this new “drill everywhere you can including in my driveway” type of hands off business friendly deregulation was gonna lower gas prices or at least keep it the same!

Didn’t think I’d see $3 buck gas this year. And don’t tell me about supply and demand because demand is no crazier now than it was last year. Save it.

So someone tell me what’s going on?
Trump is on the run according to the media. That brings greater ratings. Gas prices are boring.

International uncertainty also raises gas prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 08:49 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Quote:
Even I didn’t pay it any attention, until my Shell card bill came in the mail. Holy cow!! My monthly bill was 20% higher than last month and we drove about the same mileage as usual.

WTH? I thought all of this new “drill everywhere you can including in my driveway” type of hands off business friendly deregulation was gonna lower gas prices or at least keep it the same!

Didn’t think I’d see $3 buck gas this year. And don’t tell me about supply and demand because demand is no crazier now than it was last year. Save it.

So someone tell me what’s going on?
In the past 3-4 weeks it's gone up about 40 cents/gallon around here. And we're not even close to the summer vacation price hike.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:51 PM

25,850 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
I wouldn’t either if I drove a Ford Fiesta.
That doesn’t really make any sense. If I drove a small car I guess that would mean I care about gas prices.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:55 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
I haven't noticed because I pretty much drive locally and fill up once every few weeks. My husband drives 2 hours a day for work but he has an electric car so he doesn't really notice either. He bought electric to save on gas.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:57 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananawax55 View Post
How is this a political thread Seems more fitting for automotive to me
Aren't you a bit new to be telling people where they are allowed to post?

Old 04-17-2018, 08:59 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
You were trained to pay what you do for gas a few years ago, when the price rose to the threshhold of pain, and then suddenly dropped again when consumption dropped. Then it crept back up. This was repeated over and over, and every time it dropped, it dropped to a nickel above the previous drop. Locally here in Columbia, gas went over $4.00 for a short while, and finally leveled off @ $2.00. Since Trump was elected, it has increased to @ $2.50.

The price of gas has to do somewhat with the price of crude oil, but as much to do with how much profit the companies want to bank. Any one who thinks companies should drill and find more oil so they can lower the price of gas at the pump is a complete damned fool. Business does not operate to sell you goods at a cheaper price, unless, like WalMart, they have beaten their vendors to the point they have to cut corners in manufacturing to satisfy their price point. Oil companies never will. You have two choices - take it, or leave it.

Tariffs affect the cost of everything in the pipeline from raw material to packaging (except for labor). When you get in a pissingf match on a global scale and tariffs are imposed by both sides, nobody wins, and especially the end users.
The part in bold. We got used to those prices, and since then, anything less seems like a good thing.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:32 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
$2.39 in my part of TN. It's a bit more expensive, but a $.25/gal difference is not that meaningful to me.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:40 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Oil isn't really that expensive. Typically when we see higher gas prices than the oil prices would indicate it's pretty temporary.

It is pretty impressive though that we were almost back to $1 gas under Obama after it soared to $150 oil/$4 gas under Bush.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:52 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Holy Cow! It's gone up a whole 4 cents!

From 2.49 to 2.53!
It’s gone up far more than .4 cents. You’re being disingenuous.

Gas is up at least a quarter all over the country...including where YOU live!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It is not about driving season, but about the actual gasoline. There is a winter blend, which is cheaper, and usually comes out two minutes into fall even if it is sweltering, and summer blend, which usually comes out two minutes into spring even if there is still snow falling. The summer blend tends to be 10-25% more than the winter blend, for whatever reason. It also is rolling out into gas stations as we speak, so prices are now going up dramatically as they are switching from winter to summer blend.
No...the higher prices are not indicative of any special blends. If it was, gas would’ve been this high last year this same time. It wasn’t. Not even close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
If you truly don't believe prices are subject to supply and demand, it's like denying that the world is round. Yes, other factors such as the dollar valuation, unrest, etc. are factors but the driver will always always always always always always be....Supply and Demand
I repeat: gas prices in the United States have NOTHING to do with supply and demand.

The demand is no different than it was this time last year, and there’s no shortage of supply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Hopefully you'll be paying $6 a gallon before the end of summer. Thanks

I just gassed up at $2.40 a gallon.
So. Gas prices are still up. You’re paying more today than you did last month no different than I am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
In the past 3-4 weeks it's gone up about 40 cents/gallon around here. And we're not even close to the summer vacation price hike.

Exactly. Everyone is getting killed.

People talking about the summer travel season are full of it. That has nothing to do with it. Most of the nation was just under a freeze a few days ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
That doesn’t really make any sense. If I drove a small car I guess that would mean I care about gas prices.
Right. That’s my point. You DO scare about gas prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Oil isn't really that expensive. Typically when we see higher gas prices than the oil prices would indicate it's pretty temporary.

It is pretty impressive though that we were almost back to $1 gas under Obama after it soared to $150 oil/$4 gas under Bush.
Yep.

That said, I hope these hikes are as temporary as you suspect. Me personally? I think it’s only going to get worse.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:10 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,774 times
Quote:

Gas prices in this country have nothing to do with supply and demand. You’re like the last person who still believes that it does. No more people are driving cars and demanding gas anymore than they were last year this same time. There’s still just as much gas available for market as there’s been any other time. There’s no shortage of gasoline supplies.

Stop it. Smart people are no longer fooled by that “supply and demand” line.

If it’s good for Tesla’s bottom line, then so be it. But that’s got nothing to do with my bank account.
You're right about one thing...the gasoline markets are well-supplied at the moment.

With finished product cracked from crude oil selling for 20% more than it did a year ago.

I guess you forgot about that crucial bit of data, huh?

Throw in seasonal maintenance turnaround and the start of the summer driving season, and voila! Higher gasoline prices. Happens all the time. No big deal. Nothing is happening now that doesn't happen pretty much every year about this time.

And you can whine, cry and stamp your feet about how the big, bad oil companies are working you over, or how supply and demand has kicked your butt once again. None of these silly dodges will change the central reality, which is that you, the buyer, set the price of any commodity. Well, you and 3 to 4 billion of your fellow motorists around the world.

Maybe you and your fellow gasoline buyers could get together and stage a gasoline boycott. I hear that kind of thing is all the rage these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies