Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 02:25 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times

Advertisements

Gas is really going up, but no one seems to notice!

Yeah, I didn't notice it at all when I heard Saudi Aribia wants $100 dollar a barrel oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 02:27 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,220,852 times
Price hit $2.729 today in the Piedmont.

Supply and demand nothing the price being pushed up by speculators. With Trump in office they feel the door is open and no corruption will be punished.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:28 PM

23,997 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It is a seasonal increase, as well as demand due to a good economy. In addition, there are some instability in a few oil producing countries which giver markets the jitters. The Trump policies are to maximize domestic energy supply, which can only suppress energy prices but can only do so much. This article addresses most of the reasons.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidbl.../#143de182a6bd
Somethings going on. We have some land with oil that is hard to get to. Too much trouble. It has been leased a couple times.

The landsmen are driving us nuts again, calling trying to get a lease .

Old 04-19-2018, 03:11 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Speaking of energy prices:

Top Trump energy adviser resigns | TheHill

"Michael Catanzaro, President Trump's top adviser for energy and environment policy and who headed domestic energy and environment issues at the White House’s National Economic Council (NEC), plans to leave next week and return to CGCN Group, the law and lobbying firm where he previously worked."

So, Mr. Catanzaro left the CGNA Group to work at the White House (in February 2017), did his bit for a year or more, and is now leaving to go back to that same company.

I thought there were rules against this? But, perhaps not for his particular position.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:23 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I did notice it’s increasing. I don’t think drilling and deregulation will lower gas prices. It just increases profits.
Nat gas prices have come WAY down, but that's because it's not as portable as oil.

As an example, at one point I worked out the cost per BTU (heating or energy unit) and gas (wholesale) was 1/4 that of oil. That's an amazing difference. I always thought that it would have to even out someday so I bought some nat gas future ETFs. I lost a lot of money on that.....

Old 04-19-2018, 03:25 PM

78,436 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
If we're going to go into a silly R vs D president on gas prices, note that in 2005-2006 gas prices were over $6 a gallon down south.

I never saw gas over $3.25 a gallon when Obama was president and think that even though it has gone up a bit recently, it is nothing outrageous currently.
I don't ever remember hearing about gas anywhere getting above $5 let alone $6 even at it's worst unless you are talking about some lone station gouging near an airport or during a crisis etc.

Historical Gas Price Charts - Gasbuddy Gas Prices

If you select USA, Tampa and Atlanta for the past 11 years you'll see that from 2011 to 2014 all those places repeatedly bounced up to close to $3.90 on after off through that period of time.

I 100% agree though about the silliness of R vs. D on the topic.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:25 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

I thought there were rules against this? But, perhaps not for his particular position.
Rules don't matter much in the USA - commit the highest crimes in the land and you will likely be pardoned. That is - if they ever catch you and decide to spend resources on you...

Rules are made for people who follow rules. After we saw people who couldn't pass the simplest background checks and/or who lied (or omitted, take your choice) on their forms...get access to the most top secret docs in the WH, how can we say others should follow rules?

There are no rules.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:32 PM

78,436 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Desert Detroiter, gas prices work off supply and demand....just not US supply and demand but GLOBAL.

There have been instances of speculation in the markets (futures etc.) but I think the major disconnect that occurs is that todays oil being sold is the gas that is sold months from now. Once at the gas station, it takes time to sell as well.

This creates lag in the pricing chain. There can also be a variety of other issues that cause regional prices to hiccup but for the most part....it is indeed supply and demand.

Gas prices have been pretty dang low for about 3 years now so of course no one says a peep. The minute they start to ramp up everyone comes out of the wordwork about how it's some sort of price gouging conspiracy.

Heck, we've had posts on this very forum where they started mocking budget shortfalls in oil producing states which were driven by declining industry as oil prices fell.

It's a topic driven heavily by perception bias.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:12 PM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Somethings going on. We have some land with oil that is hard to get to. Too much trouble. It has been leased a couple times.

The landsmen are driving us nuts again, calling trying to get a lease .
Yeah, a barrel of oil hit $68 which the highest its been in almost five years for all the reasons I stated previously.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:21 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,240,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Even I didn’t pay it any attention, until my Shell card bill came in the mail. Holy cow!! My monthly bill was 20% higher than last month and we drove about the same mileage as usual.

WTH? I thought all of this new “drill everywhere you can including in my driveway” type of hands off business friendly deregulation was gonna lower gas prices or at least keep it the same!

Didn’t think I’d see $3 buck gas this year. And don’t tell me about supply and demand because demand is no crazier now than it was last year. Save it.

So someone tell me what’s going on?
Admittedly, I barely noticed. I work from home 95% of the time and my wife works within a few miles of the office. We go through maybe 3-4 tanks a month between us at most.

Demand is picking up. Americans are again on an SUV frenzy. Dads are buying the spacious crew cab pickups so they can haul shrubs and the occasional 2x4. Moms are busing their kids and their neighbors kids to soccer matches, little-league and Starbuck in thirsty, gargantuan SUVs. All this at a record pace.

I wonder if the rise of gas prices correlates to the demand of ladies athletic wear and sun visors???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies