Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 04:44 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nonsense. LMAO...they’d just get rid of the trucks and SUV’s. But they’d still be driving.

Then as soon as gas got cheap again, here comes the big oversized pickups and SUV’s again.
I live in Colorado.
$2.00 a gallon or $5.00 a gallon, no one is giving up their SUVs and trucks here.

Several gas stations near me show regular (85 octane) selling for between $2.41 and $2.49.
I only use plus (87 octane) so base price is about $.20 per higher.
I say “base” because I never pay full price thanks to gas rewards from Safeway and King Soopers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 04:51 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
It’s gone up far more than .4 cents. You’re being disingenuous.

Gas is up at least a quarter all over the country...including where YOU live!

No...the higher prices are not indicative of any special blends. If it was, gas would’ve been this high last year this same time. It wasn’t. Not even close.

I repeat: gas prices in the United States have NOTHING to do with supply and demand.

The demand is no different than it was this time last year, and there’s no shortage of supply.

So. Gas prices are still up. You’re paying more today than you did last month no different than I am.

Exactly. Everyone is getting killed.

People talking about the summer travel season are full of it. That has nothing to do with it. Most of the nation was just under a freeze a few days ago.

Right. That’s my point. You DO scare about gas prices.

Yep.

That said, I hope these hikes are as temporary as you suspect. Me personally? I think it’s only going to get worse.
No, he’s not.
It’s really only gone up about $.05 in the last month or so here in CO.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:56 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I don't ever remember hearing about gas anywhere getting above $5 let alone $6 even at it's worst unless you are talking about some lone station gouging near an airport or during a crisis

I 100% agree though about the silliness of R vs. D on the topic.
As someone who spent a career in the energy biz, I can confirm that it's not exactly R vs. D.

If it were, the highest in the last dozen years would be about $5 under GW Bush (over $4 in 2008, adjusted for inflation for the last 10 years)....

There are political and policy factors which can very much change the perception and/or price of gas. But sometimes they are "leading" or "backwards" indicators. Here are some examples:

1. Cars are more efficient - gas use has stabilized or went down, thereby making supply easier to keep up....lowering prices.

2. Policies which push forward more renewables, etc - will also take pressure off demand, against resulting in lower prices...

But the larger geo-political situation probably has more of an effect. With Venezuela all messed up and lots of oil flowing from Iraq, Russia and the other usual cabals, there is plenty of supply. However, some threats of war and other such things can change the equation.

Russia may even find it beneficial to cause chaos in the world...since they are largely an oil republic (or oligarchy). Chaos usually means higher prices which means more income for Putin and friends.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:05 PM

30,443 posts, read 21,280,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Has anyone priced the cost of Lunch lately?

It's gone up higher than a gallon of gas.
I never buy a lunch. I always bring my own. I don't drive my C6 Vette much and it gets 31mpg all highway if driven at 60mph and no stops and starts. Over 500hp so that is pretty good. In the city i am always hard on it and it gets around 15mpg. Glad i don't drive much anymore. I think anything over a $1a gal is too much.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I remember the fear mongers claiming it was going to go up to $7 a gallon under Bush. Yet never happened. The president doesn't have much control over the laws of supply and demand.
Bush 2 tanked the economy with his failed wars and it dropped like a rock in late 08.

Last edited by LKJ1988; 04-19-2018 at 05:48 PM..

Old 04-19-2018, 05:28 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I never buy a lunch. I always bring my own. .
A Hamburger has gone up more than a gallon of gas.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
A Hamburger has gone up more than a gallon of gas.
I would never know as they cost too much at buger king or Mc D's lee.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:45 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I don't ever remember hearing about gas anywhere getting above $5 let alone $6 even at it's worst unless you are talking about some lone station gouging near an airport or during a crisis etc.

Historical Gas Price Charts - Gasbuddy Gas Prices

If you select USA, Tampa and Atlanta for the past 11 years you'll see that from 2011 to 2014 all those places repeatedly bounced up to close to $3.90 on after off through that period of time.

I 100% agree though about the silliness of R vs. D on the topic.
In 2011, I remember a news reporter from LA's ABC affiliate (KABC) was doing a story on rising gas prices, and went to a Chevron station near downtown LA, and the price when she started talking was $4.93/gallon, and mid story, an employee went out and changed the sign to $5.03/gallon. Only one station in one city, but it happened. And here in 2008, the price of gas got to about $4.40/gallon in the summer before crashing hard in the fall (due to 9/15/08)

Old 04-19-2018, 07:23 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
In 2011, I remember a news reporter from LA's ABC affiliate (KABC) was doing a story on rising gas prices, and went to a Chevron station near downtown LA, and the price when she started talking was $4.93/gallon, and mid story, an employee went out and changed the sign to $5.03/gallon. Only one station in one city, but it happened. And here in 2008, the price of gas got to about $4.40/gallon in the summer before crashing hard in the fall (due to 9/15/08)
Ok, there were a few places with expensive real estate is some of the higher gas tax states that barely squeeked above $5. I should have listed a few broader exceptions like extremely expensive real-estate.

All else being equal a gas station on a 1/2 acre in LA is going to have to charge more than one in Smalltown, IA just to recoup capital investment costs.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:39 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:

I repeat: gas prices in the United States have NOTHING to do with supply and demand.

The demand is no different than it was this time last year, and there’s no shortage of supply.
Sure it is. The amount of miles being driven fluctuates with the economy, changing demand.

The amount of gas available is dictated by the economics of refining, which from what I've read tends to be a fairly complex topic that involves refiners attempting to predict the market demand for gas and secure contracts for oil some months in advance.

Last edited by le roi; 04-19-2018 at 07:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies