Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2018, 03:36 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,548,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
The 58 yr old woman could have gone to a mortgage company and said I'd like to take over the mortgage. However, this is not a mortgage (all though rent control acts like one) but it is a contract, one in which the investor knows exist.

Are we debating law or moral aptitude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
How is the LL making any profit off this underhanded thief?

Investors are the ones who get to make profits by risking their assets. The tenants have no assets, they don't own anything! This thief is using the LL's assets (as if they belonged to her) to make a profit. She has no assets of her own to generate a profit, and as such deserves nothing.
and when he purchased the property he knew that it had rent control in there.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:50 PM

19,851 posts, read 12,122,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
When he purchased the property this woman didn’t even know Tomasso. She met him as a cat sitter for one of his neighbors some 13 years after the couple purchased the building. The tenant has been dead for almost a decade.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Do the real estate taxes not increase on the rent controlled portion of the building? If not, post the law that states such.
A tenant doesn't pay RE taxes, the landlord does. They take the risk when they purchase a building with rent control!

Old 04-30-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, they do. Try not paying the increased real estate tax and/or insurance escrow on a mortgage and see what happens.
The mortgage doesn't change, but if you choose to have your taxes and insurance rolled into it that part changes.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
When he purchased the property this woman didn’t even know Tomasso. She met him as a cat sitter for one of his neighbors some 13 years after the couple purchased the building. The tenant has been dead for almost a decade.
I read that and I also read that he adopted her. Is she gaming the system, yes but is it legal, yes.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:20 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,944,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post

Rich people and corporations are not the big bad boogeymen you make them out to be.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:32 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,405,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Aww those poor greedy landlords my heart bleeds
Will someone please think of the landlords' kids?

Old 04-30-2018, 04:41 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,762,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
This is so different. She manipulated her way into this apartment. It is one thing if it is a true rent controlled situation, this is completely different.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:44 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,605,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
One of the problems that I'm thinking, is, however, do the landlord's expenses likewise stay rent-controlled? Are all the utilities, taxes, insurance, etc, all 'frozen' at the same prices they were at when the rent was first frozen?

I'm far from a real estate expert, nor do I know much about the rent control situation in NYC (or anywhere else, for that matter), but it does seem to me that over the years, the landlord's costs will have gone up. The original tenant was grandfathered, but this new tenant snuck in (and I still don't get how she's allowed to do that). I don't know what the COL is in NYC, but even I can guess that $100 a month for rent is awfully cheap for that city--my apartment in Tulsa, Oklahoma over 20 years ago was more than that!

I can't weigh in to the overall question of rent control, but it seems to me the main argument of this particular case is: Should *this* woman have gotten this apartment at that price? And right now, I'd have to say no. (Whether she should have been permitted a rent-controlled apartment at a higher/different price is a separate question, to my mind.)
The increase in revenue is made through 'future' tenants.

How to invest in areas with rent control?

Short History of Rent Control (Cornell Law Review) pg 5 & pg 6 commercial establishments

Overcoming Rent Control: How to Profit When The Government Says You Can’t

Those three links will answer your questions better than I can and there's no heavy reading, just skim 'em.

As for as the woman sneaking in, would it have made a difference in your opinion if she had been the biological daughter? It didn't with the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies