Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2018, 09:58 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,724,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The wages would rise to attract those people to those jobs that are needed.

And fact is they can still live within commuting distance, but some feel they are owed to live in the expensive areas even though they cannot afford it.
What do you consider "commuting distance?"

Is it 30 minutes, an hour?

Two?

More?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 09:59 AM

1,874 posts, read 819,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I was responding to your paranoia about "big govt".
LOL its paranoia? You clearly are not capable of reading something objectively and responding to it.

Anyways, if you think big govt is great, there are better places for you, like I said.

Rich people and corporations are not the big bad boogeymen you make them out to be. Maybe you are just paranoid. And smaller govt would mean less power, not more.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:01 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,724,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Bingo! When people talk about the market rate they are talking about a heavily manipulated and artificially inflated market rate, not a "free market" rate. And then millions of people who were born in these areas, who lived their entire lives in these areas, and now find they can no longer afford to live in these areas are told glibly to "move to flyover country".

What makes people think "flyover country" wants all of the economic refugees from these unaffordable cities anyway? If jobs are so tight in flyover country the last thing they need is an influx of people with low job skills from the more populated parts of the country. They're already having to compete with illegal immigrants and H1B's for those scarce jobs.

Just as America in general(and much of the west, really) is being used as a relief valve to take care of social pressures in third world nations, people expect the American hinterland to act as a relief valve to take care of the social pressures that are growing in severity on the coasts. What will act as a relief valve for our planet?
Excellent points!

Old 04-30-2018, 10:02 AM

13,656 posts, read 20,795,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Exactly.

Is this the only property this landlord owns?

Surely they can make up the loss with their other units.

Whatever the case, this is the law in NYC and it's a good thing too, otherwise people who do business exactly like Trump would have forced even more people into the streets.
Rent Control in NYC was an emergency measure enacted during WWII. I believe it has been some time since the German and Japanese surrenders.

Make up the loss? Why should they have to do that? Earning a paltry $100-- 100 Dollars!- per month on an apartment unit means they cannot make adequate repairs let alone modernize it. Ever wonder why rent controlled units are deteriorating messes?

It also means you and I make up the loss in the form of higher rents for ourselves.

New York City has a vast array of laws and regulations that keep people from forced onto the street. Good grief, does it always have to be mindless hyperbole?

I have a college friend whose brother lives in their grandmother's rent controlled apartment. Deceased grandmother that is. Yes, RC units may be passed on to family members. This guy came from a middle class family, went to the same school I did, and received the same degree I did. Yet, society deems him worthy of a subsidy, but not me (or you)? Why?

Rent Control came up for renewal in the 1990s. They guy who led the charge to save it is now a professional criminal defendant:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-n...-idUSKBN1I10RZ

Old 04-30-2018, 10:08 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,924,275 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxHrH8z2V90
Opening scene "Working Girl"
Has the Twin Towers in one part of the clip--nostalgic
But appropriate
Everyone working in Tess's office that wasn't a high level manager was likely commuting
She rode the ferry back/forth from NJ I think it was

Old 04-30-2018, 10:11 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,814,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxHrH8z2V90
Opening scene "Working Girl"
Has the Twin Towers in one part of the clip--nostalgic
But appropriate
Everyone working in Tess's office that wasn't a high level manager was likely commuting
She rode the ferry back/forth from NJ I think it was
Millions of people all over the country CHOOSE to commute every day. Why are New Yorkers so special that they need a law to help them afford an apartment?

Old 04-30-2018, 10:14 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,924,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Rent Control in NYC was an emergency measure enacted during WWII. I believe it has been some time since the German and Japanese surrenders.

Make up the loss? Why should they have to do that? Earning a paltry $100-- 100 Dollars!- per month on an apartment unit means they cannot make adequate repairs let alone modernize it. Ever wonder why rent controlled units are deteriorating messes?

It also means you and I make up the loss in the form of higher rents for ourselves.

New York City has a vast array of laws and regulations that keep people from forced onto the street. Good grief, does it always have to be mindless hyperbole?

I have a college friend whose brother lives in their grandmother's rent controlled apartment. Deceased grandmother that is. Yes, RC units may be passed on to family members. This guy came from a middle class family, went to the same school I did, and received the same degree I did. Yet, society deems him worthy of a subsidy, but not me (or you)? Why?

Rent Control came up for renewal in the 1990s. They guy who led the charge to save it is now a professional criminal defendant:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-n...-idUSKBN1I10RZ
People who often claim they don't like government subsidies and don't support "liberal governments" because those politicians do support subsidy programs for certain groups who need them are often the ones to rig the system and abuse them...

Have friends from early part of our married life who have married son who went back to college--finally-to finish his degree
They are big Tea Party, convervative supporters here in Tx--would never vote for Obama or any Democrat

Yet they were totally happy their son applied and received Food Stamps to bolster their budget even though they were giving him money monthly which he didn't report as income--
This was several years ago now--they told us when they were bragging about how he "beat the system"
Yet they disparage "welfare abusers" Just don't consider they were talking about themselves...

Old 04-30-2018, 10:15 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,607,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
The rent goes up $300 and you claim you would need to earn an additional $900 to afford it? Please explain.
I don't know about the poster you asked this of, but my father-in-law, taught us this.

Ones house payment or rent should be 1/3 of the income so as to make that payment and all the other bills, as well. It helps with calculating a budget.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:21 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,799,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
People who often claim they don't like government subsidies and don't support "liberal governments" because those politicians do support subsidy programs for certain groups who need them are often the ones to rig the system and abuse them...

Have friends from early part of our married life who have married son who went back to college--finally-to finish his degree
They are big Tea Party, convervative supporters here in Tx--would never vote for Obama or any Democrat

Yet they were totally happy their son applied and received Food Stamps to bolster their budget even though they were giving him money monthly which he didn't report as income--
This was several years ago now--they told us when they were bragging about how he "beat the system"
Yet they disparage "welfare abusers" Just don't consider they were talking about themselves...
I've always gotten a laugh from the left who constantly chide the right for wanting smaller government while taking advantage of the existing laws.

I would gladly exchange what little I receive from the government for a smaller less intrusive government. Being in CA I guarantee I pay more in than I take out. I can also guarantee that 20% of the population in my (once fine) state take far more than they pay in.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:23 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,633,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
The rent goes up $300 and you claim you would need to earn an additional $900 to afford it? Please explain.
Leases have rent to income requirements, most leases I've signed are 3x income to rent ratio, so 300 times 3 is 900, is that not easy to understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies