Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2018, 09:20 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
Was this fella confirmed after those Rrpublicans returned from there 4th of July holiday trip to Putin's place?
He hasn't been confirmed yet.

But yes, some of these were the Republican Senators that were over in Russia assuring Putin to pay no attention to the Senate intelligence committee report.

On the Fourth of July no less.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:17 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,379,983 times
I think that the Trump Presidency should more accurately be called the Trump Malignancy.

Like a horrific cancer his sickening beliefs have metastasized through so much of the body politic.

Will it prove to be fatal? I'm not sure yet but with each passing day the damage increases and weakens the nation. Will his October Surprise be some trumped up reasons to declare martial law and suspend the coming elections. I'm sure he can get Eric Price to give him a hand with subduing any uprisings from those who have not swallowed the Kool-Aide.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:48 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This attorney has never tried a case.

Ever.

Joe Manchin, Democrat from West Virginia, joined the Republicans in voting to end the floor debate and proceed to a vote to confirm a man who has never tried a criminal case in his entire life to head the Criminal Division of the DOJ.

Words fail.
Manchin wants to keep his job more than he really wants to do good for his state or for this country
And I don't know that he can really depend on Trump to not go against him at reelection time
Manchin thinks he can point to how he has acted as a conservative on certain measures but you can't try to ride two bulls at once...

WVA is a very conservative state for the most part and fairly uneducated
Looks like haven for Trump's base
Manchin should have run as GOP
Too late now

Old 07-11-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
^^^ well said!

Germany is the only other country in the world now that I’m aware of that has ever had a leader who incited a crazed group of individuals to accept his evil demands like Trump has. No other country has taken children away from parents and locked them up in cages… In the early stages of Nazi Germany, Hitler did this and eventually pushed for mass murder of women, children and men who did nothing wrong. I knew who Trump was, but I am amazed at those are condone and accept him as he is. YOU are complicit when you support this evil bigotry and intolerance of other humans and YOU call yourselves conservative Republicans, shame on you.
I just finished the first 3 books (Berlin Noir) in long mystery series set initially in Berlin pre-WW2
The main character is former police detective turned private investigator--Bernhard Guenther
He hates the Nazis taking control in Germany and how "normal" citizens are basically either fervent supporters or too afraid to do anything--but like many others he has few recourses except to go with the flow or get killed

Hitler has been in power for several years when the first book opens--so the pattern of corruption and wearing down of social norms has eaten away lot of the protections that did exist--
But Germany did not have a long history of democratic processes in place pre-Hitler--
And education in the rural/small towns was very "provincial" and prejudicial---there were great universities yes, but what they taught was often less than accurate and baked in pre-existing prejudices...
Hitler's rise to power in Germany was fairly easy because most people who were educated (Jew or Gentile) thought he was a joke as a politician--so far-right, so uneducated, that his rise to power would be quickly eclipsed by his own weaknesses---but they didn't count on Hitler's ruthlessness or his ability to manipulate through propaganda
Hitler quickly compromised the judicial system/judges via the Nazi party--
And we are seeing Trump and his cohorts (in Congress and out) doing the same thing right now

People who ignore history and its propensity to repeat itself do so at their own peril...

Old 07-11-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
^^^ well said!

Germany is the only other country in the world now that I’m aware of that has ever had a leader who incited a crazed group of individuals to accept his evil demands like Trump has. No other country has taken children away from parents and locked them up in cages… In the early stages of Nazi Germany, Hitler did this and eventually pushed for mass murder of women, children and men who did nothing wrong. I knew who Trump was, but I am amazed at those are condone and accept him as he is. YOU are complicit when you support this evil bigotry and intolerance of other humans and YOU call yourselves conservative Republicans, shame on you.
Normally I am a support of Israel but its treatment of Palestinian refugees is less than stellar
Stalin put millions of his Russian people in gulags where they were killed through violence, starvation, or disease
There have been rulers in many countries around the world pre and post WW2 who have engaged in wide scale use of "death squads" against anyone they thought opposed their interests/power
What happened in Bosnia is another more recent example of religion/ethnic "cleansing"
And Africa has multiple examples of tribal conflict even today

Hitler was cited as the worst and certainly best publicized example of genocide against certain social groups but he is not the only one...

Old 07-11-2018, 09:01 AM

307 posts, read 224,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
Strange thread, considering lies are often subjectively identified.
One man's understatement is another man's overstatement etc.
Odd remark to me.
A lie is a lie. When the regime says 2030 kids have been separated by this regime at the border
crossing when over a period of days we learn (HHS) it's 3000+, that's called a lie.

When the regime denies knowing about "the letter" for junior in the ump tower meeting and changes
the verbiage numerous times, that's a lie.

When ump is interviewed by Lester Holt and states it fired Comey due to the Russia investigation then
says, "Kidding!" That's a lie it's recorded for history.

The list of lies (not subjective - objective) is endless.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:09 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,223,014 times
This morning Trump embarrassed the country. Acting out like a child. Putting down allies because of trade. Based on Trumps thoughts the US is subservient to both Canada and Saudi Arabia.

I am wondering if Icahn told him to push LNG and Chesapeake. Icahn still has a hand in Trump's WH.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:58 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDWNC View Post
Odd remark to me.
A lie is a lie. When the regime says 2030 kids have been separated by this regime at the border
crossing when over a period of days we learn (HHS) it's 3000+, that's called a lie.

When the regime denies knowing about "the letter" for junior in the ump tower meeting and changes
the verbiage numerous times, that's a lie.

When ump is interviewed by Lester Holt and states it fired Comey due to the Russia investigation then
says, "Kidding!" That's a lie it's recorded for history.

The list of lies (not subjective - objective) is endless.
The notion that "truth is subjective" is a Russian propaganda ploy.

Other variations are "the truth is somewhere in the middle."

No, it isn't.

The truth is the truth.

It's not subjective. It's not somewhere in the middle.

The goal of gaslighting is to get people to where they don't know what to believe and just give up trying to make sense of things.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:51 PM

26,580 posts, read 14,461,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
It's not subjective. It's not somewhere in the middle.

truth: vanilla is a flavor of ice cream.

subjective opinion: vanilla is the best flavor of ice cream.

trump speak: trump brand vanilla ice cream is the greatest ice cream of all time outselling all other ice creams combined ( even if it doesn't exist )

Old 07-11-2018, 02:20 PM

This article explains Trump's lies about the need for tariffs to protect soybean farmers
https://amp.slate.com/business/2018/...trade-war.html

I taught English/speech communications to high school students in Texas before retiring about 15 yrs ago
Part of what we were supposed to teach students was the ability to identify fact and opinion statements and understand that facts can be proven objectively and opinions are just that--ephemeral...
It was very difficult for them to understand
They believed whatever they read on-line as FACT---
It was infuriating to teach, give various examples, have them sample examples of various materials and STILL not understand the difference
Their thinking was if someone said/wrote it---then it was a fact simply because it existed---

Apparently my students were not the only ones with that same mental failure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies