Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 09:43 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,983,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
the most offensive part of this post is the ignorance exhibited suggesting that a yarmukule is "cultural"

it isn't.

it is religious.

worlds apart.
If you can’t acknowledge their religion is part of culture, we can’t have this discussion.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:45 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,321,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I do agree with you mostly regarding open social media .

She’s an attractive girl so probably has a lot of random people following her .

I wonder though was the Asian guy really offended or being offended by everything just part of being a young liberal in today’s world ?

It’s almost like it’s worn as a badge of honor these days .. “I’m a victim ! I’ve been culturally appropriated! Look at me !”

Social media is an interesting phenomenon as these people that nobody would even know about become famous for 15 minutes .. like Andy Warhol said .

“In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes",”
Yeah... it's hard to say whether he was offended... or even as offended as his tweet sounded like he was. Maybe he found it irritating and that's all.

I suspect the group of photos, combined with the unfortunate choice of the group with hands in a praying/bowing position were what sparked all of this. I highly doubt much would have been said of her just standing there with her date in a dress.

I think back to when I was her age and I realize I would likely have been skewered for many a goofy thing I did as a teenager in photos. All of it was harmless when you considered my immediate audience (family, friends, acquaintances) but it wasn't for an international audience.

The price we all pay for instant "sharing" with the world.

My daughter is half Chinese. She didn't like the group pose. She'd never even heard of this Papa Please thing and she's a 17yo who is around this girl's age and spends a lot of time on YouTube, so... it's possible that there are plenty of other people who have never heard of it, either.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
If you're non-Jewish wearing a yarmulke as a fashion accessory (don't know why you would, but anyway).... and not mocking, why would anyone even know or care?

And, who gets to be the spokesperson of all the Jewish people to say what non-Jews do or do not get to wear that is "culturally Jewish?"

And, in the end people are allowed to mock if they want, you know.

People are selective in their outrage. "Sexy nun" costumes are popular at Halloween for people of all religions and cultures. Yet if someone was to wear a burka for Halloween you'd open up the gates to hell and a mighty army of ham beast SJWs with blue hair and thick rimmed glasses would tear you apart for "appropriation" and "Islamaphobia."

Yes, and people are also allowed to call them out on being offensive jackasses.

16,585 posts, read 10,692,946 times
Quote:
Others argue that her intention is irrelevant when it comes to cultural appropriation. Lam offers a distinction to the line between homage and appropriation on Twitter: “I think that it would be acceptable and appreciative if you did research on the traditional clothing, educate yourself of its importance and gain permission from multiple people from that culture to wear it in certain settings.”
Hey Jeremy, you forgot to ask me if it was OK for you to wear my culture's clothing. I'll be waiting for your apology right here.

15,292 posts, read 7,779,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Nobody can tell a Chinese guy not to be offended by something that offends him any more than I can tell any of you to be not offended by something that you find offensive.

That is how "an opinion" works.
I suppose that's how it works for people whose opinions are irrational and entirely based on emotion. If on the other hand your opinion is based at least partly on facts and logic, you will be open to persuasion by a good argument.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:49 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,321,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I suppose that's how it works for people whose opinions are irrational and entirely based on emotion. If on the other hand your opinion is based at least partly on facts and logic, you will be open to persuasion by a good argument.
I'm not saying you cannot have a discussion about opinions. I agree with you... that is a good thing. I have often had a change in opinion after a good discussion.

But, I cannot tell a person NOT to be offended. I can merely empathize and offer suggestions as to what might have been happening during the offensive incident, sort of helping a person open up to alternate points of view.

Still, at the end of the day, if they do hear these things and they remain offended, it's not my place to tell them they should not be. We all own our own opinions and emotions.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:49 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,523,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
If you can’t acknowledge their religion is part of culture, we can’t have this discussion.
What an ignorant statement. I am married to an ethnically Jewish man who is totally agnostic. He enjoys Jewish culture without any religious traditions involved. Many Jews do. Additionally, many people convert to the Jewish faith, but don't celebrate Jewish culture. They are intertwined, but separate in modern life.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:51 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,354,597 times
Quote:
Entirely possible, yes. But, the guy who spoke out first is Chinese.
With a Hebrew/American/English name...

Old 05-01-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
What an ignorant statement. I am married to an ethnically Jewish man who is totally agnostic. He enjoys Jewish culture without any religious traditions involved. Many Jews do. Additionally, many people convert to the Jewish faith, but don't celebrate Jewish culture. They are intertwined, but separate in modern life.
*Sigh* not every member of a culture participates in every aspect of the culture. Religion is as much a part of culture as dance, music, clothing and cuisine.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:00 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,221,665 times
Quote:
Entirely possible, yes. But, the guy who spoke out first is Chinese.
Who cares what Chinese MEN think of a white woman wearing a Chinese style dress? The opinion of Chinese WOMEN might matter more to me. However again, I know that the (Chinese) women in my family don't care at all. And not only that, there's no dress like that in any of our closets, and in fact you'd have to PAY me to wear that awful dress. That red dress is not at all me.

BTW in the early 1980's, Iggy Pop played a show in Providence, RI. I was standing in the front of the audience and... he sang the song "China Girl" to ME!!! And I was dressed like a British punk rocker that night.

BTW I hated the visuals of the David Bowie music video of that song. Shrug.

Also hated the way Mickey Rooney played Audrey Hepburn's character's downstairs Japanese neighbor in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Did the Japanese community ever protest that awful portrayal of a Japanese man? Yuck.

Also hated Eddie Murphy as Mr. Wong in his Norbit movie.

But none of that is really worth a twitter/social media wars or shaming over those portrayals. I just quietly not buy tickets to Eddie Murphy movies. There's plenty of better movies to watch. The Mickey Rooney role was filmed in a greatly different era of movie making. Eddie Murphy should have known better, but I certainly have never been his target audience, although I was a big fan of the early SNL shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies