Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 09:21 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah just let them all leave. The min wage isn't $15 in NYC..yet.

You think it's going to be attractive to open a business in NYC with $15hr min wages?

We'll see...it'll be an interesting and risky experiment with the economy.
Yes, McDonalds workers in Switzerland make $25 an hour + benefits right now, and you're telling me NYC cant handle $15 an hour years from now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 09:25 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Who said taxpayers are subsidizing ?
Do the restaurants send a bill to the taxpayers ?
It’s up to the employeee to live within their means . Maybe the means moving somewhere where rent for a run down studio apartment isn’t $2000 a month .
Like I mentioned before even those with college degrees and “good jobs” struggle in NYC
To live comfortable in NYC restaurants would have to pay like $100,000 or more a year . Think that’s practical ?
“ Sure .. just raise the price of a burger to $40 “
Of course taxpayers are subsidizing employers who pay crap wages because adults would not take a minimum wage job if they couldn't count on getting EITC, SNAP, government subsidized child care and possibly low income housing.

It would be painful to affected workers in the short run to not allow employed people to receive those benefits but I think in time it would lead to people being paid a real living wage. Another acceptable option would be to bill employers for the cost to the taxpayer of every single one of those programs that they receive benefits from.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:29 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
It's really messing with the manufacturing industry.. Oh well... let them move production to Malaysia if they can't pay $15 hr here right..better for Americans to lose their jobs I guess..

This is just the beginning folks..

"
Some manufacturers have taken drastic actions in the wake of the wage hike.
Framerica, a picture-frame manufacturer in Yaphank, canceled $3 million in building plans and equipment purchases. Uncle Wally’s, a Shirley-based muffin maker, won $1 million in tax breaks after threatening to lay off one quarter of its workforce. And Chembio Diagnostics, a medical device company with operations in Medford and Holbrook, said it will shift some production to a plant in Malaysia because of the rising minimum wage."

https://www.newsday.com/business/new...ise-1.18112479
And don't forget--the American corporations don't have to provide health insurance in Malaysia. How convenient!

Why didn't they just move to West Virginia where minimum wage is $8.75? They could hire unemployed miners. Oh - right--they won't work for crap wages either.

Who forced them to go to Asia?

Old 05-09-2018, 09:31 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Of course taxpayers are subsidizing employers who pay crap wages because adults would not take a minimum wage job if they couldn't count on getting EITC, SNAP, government subsidized child care and possibly low income housing.

It would be painful to affected workers in the short run to not allow employed people to receive those benefits but I think in time it would lead to people being paid a real living wage. Another acceptable option would be to bill employers for the cost to the taxpayer of every single one of those programs that they receive benefits from.
Let’s stop all subsidies

Old 05-09-2018, 09:32 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
And don't forget--the American corporations don't have to provide health insurance in Malaysia. How convenient!

Why didn't they just move to West Virginia where minimum wage is $8.75? They could hire unemployed miners. Oh - right--they won't work for crap wages either.

Who forced them to go to Asia?
Why would anybody have to provide health care to you?

Old 05-09-2018, 09:38 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Yes, McDonalds workers in Switzerland make $25 an hour + benefits right now, and you're telling me NYC cant handle $15 an hour years from now?
Do you have a source regarding McD's workers making $25 hr plus benefits. Some years back swiss voters rejected a $25 min wage...so maybe you were thinking of that?..

Switzerland rejects world's highest minimum wage - BBC News
---
There actually is no minimum wage in Switzerland you might find this interesting.

Sounds like you are saying we should be more like Switzerland...and get rid of the minimum wage. Maybe we finally agree on something.

'There is no minimum wage in Switzerland. You read that right: There is no state-mandated minimum wage in Switzerland. Wages are left entirely to the free market. Like I say, the Swiss are smart.
Now, I can already hear what minimum-wage advocates are saying. “Jacob, if there’s no minimum wage in Switzerland, then that means that every wage earner is being paid no more than a subsistence wage. That’s what employers do when the government doesn’t force them to pay a minimum wage. Employers exploit their workers. They would never pay more than just a pittance. Those poor Swiss workers. They must be barely eking out a living.”
However, according to an article in USA Today about the defeat of the minimum-wage referendum, “90% of Swiss workers earn more than the proposed minimum and are already among the highest paid in the world.”
Whoops! There goes the exploitation and subsistence-wage theory. Imagine: In a nation in which the government isn’t forcing employers to pay any minimum wage whatsoever, employers are already paying more than $25 an hour."

Source:

https://www.fff.org/2016/04/07/minim...s-switzerland/

Also cost of living in Switzerland is super high too.

Here's an article about that. From a swiss news source

https://www.thelocal.ch/20180316/pro...high-right-now

Old 05-09-2018, 09:38 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Because the ACA mandates that large employers offer health insurance. It's interesting that you weren't aware of that

Old 05-09-2018, 09:39 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Because people with empathy dont want anyone to die of cancer just because they were poor. But I understand that the "freedom fighters" in the libertarian crowd are wired differently than most sane people.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:40 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
I find it comical that some people want to do away with the minimum wage. All that will do is allow greedy corporations to pay employees even less. Then, those employees will need even more support from the government which is also coincidentally something most of the anti-minimum wage people are against.

Companies who are paying minimum wage are essentially saying: We are paying you the minimum amount required by law. If we were permitted, we'd pay you even less.

I agree that the government can be overreaching in certain areas, but we have minimum wage for a reason. The employee (who is usually desperate if they are making minimum wage) has very little bargaining power or leverage against an employer.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:45 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I find it comical that some people want to do away with the minimum wage. All that will do is allow greedy corporations to pay employees even less. Then, those employees will need even more support from the government which is also coincidentally something most of the anti-minimum wage people are against.

Companies who are paying minimum wage are essentially saying: We are paying you the minimum amount required by law. If we were permitted, we'd pay you even less.

I agree that the government can be overreaching in certain areas, but we have minimum wage for a reason. The employee (who is usually desperate if they are making minimum wage) has very little bargaining power or leverage against an employer.
Or maybe it actually puts the worker in a worse position. Did you read my post regarding Switzerland a few posts back.

If you think you have little power or bargaining power then you do.

The employee needs a paycheck...but the employer needs the labor of the employee.

Many places that can legally pay the minimum wage already pay more because they want to attract higher quality workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies