Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: White privilege, based on the quote in the OP:
I think it exists. 64 30.05%
Maybe it does exist, but only in the form mentioned in the quote. 4 1.88%
Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. 27 12.68%
I don't agree with the quote. 33 15.49%
No way it exists and the quote and this question are silly. 85 39.91%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 02:21 PM

52,274 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
As a black person, when someone tells me (especially if they're white) that white people have privilege, I see it as insulting instead of the other way around. The worst ones are the ones who say how bad it is for "people of color" and get upset when POC try to say it doesn't exist.

But in my mind, I'm like ..."wait aren't you admitting that you're saying that you're better than me based off your skin color and acknowledging it in my face?" It's almost like they're saying "I'm white, you're black. Society says I have more power than you and you'll never be as great as me. But here, let me feel sorry for you because you're not white like me".

Idk I always find the ones who don't speak about race or whatever to just be themselves and normal people and I like those folks the most. Personally, I still experience some things, like sure I'll get racially profiled while driving by a cop (I drive a nicer car model and cops will ask me if it's my car...of course, that's speculation, but you never know), but I get ahead on my own merits in life. I don't live the live of "the white man is keeping me down". If I did that, I wouldn't get ahead in life as far as I have. I think people who let the whole "we live in a world of white privilege" narrative are the ones who are not successful and the ones who aren't doing much with their life because it's all about programming and the narrative. I don't really buy it, though, myself. Yes, racism and stereotypes exist. But that's about it.
When a black person, or any non-white for that matter steps up and starts sorta saying that racism isn't that bad anymore or things along those lines people really jump on them and there is a stay in your lane sorta deal happening. It happens more to right or conservative leaning black people. One of the brightest guys that talks about issuing facing the black community, Larry Elder, he gets tons and tons of abuse hurled his way for not going along with the victim blame game agenda. Like you posted racism exists but it's not like it was back in the day. People of color can be successful in this country with education and hard work, just like anyone else can.

Is there white privilege, IDK, maybe, in the spirit of being open minded it's possible. I personally as a middle aged white guy don't feel like I have privilege but whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 02:23 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The belief that it exists is real. I've had white people try to kowtow to me before. If I was a different kind of person I could have really taken advantage of them and the system in general. I just don't like associating with losers though.
So, you absolutely think that you are as safe or safer than the average white person driving down the street in a mostly white suburb should you get stopped by the police?

I mean, I'm going to assume you are the person you say you are and I'm going to assume your skin is not so pale that people frequently mistake you for a white person.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
When a black person, or any non-white for that matter steps up and starts sorta saying that racism isn't that bad anymore or things along those lines people really jump on them and there is a stay in your lane sorta deal happening. It happens more to right or conservative leaning black people. One of the brightest guys that talks about issuing facing the black community, Larry Elder, he gets tons and tons of abuse hurled his way for not going along with the victim blame game agenda. Like you posted racism exists but it's not like it was back in the day. People of color can be successful in this country with education and hard work, just like anyone else can.

Is there white privilege, IDK, maybe, in the spirit of being open minded it's possible. I personally as a middle aged white guy don't feel like I have privilege but whatever.
That is why I posted that specific quote though, Chow.

Based totally on what the quote in the OP says, do you think THAT sort of definition of "white privilege" is a thing?

I do think white privilege, as a concept, is leaned on very heavily at times when it should not be (by plenty of folks that I assume to have good intent, but still).

Just wanted to get a perspective on the quote above because I though it rather simple and I do think it's not entirely something that should be dismissed out of hand, as a concept.

I do not have the fabled "white guilt." I know I'm a decent person and I treat others with respect no matter their genetics or skin color.

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
So, you absolutely think that you are as safe or safer than the average white person driving down the street in a mostly white suburb should you get stopped by the police?

I mean, I'm going to assume you are the person you say you are and I'm going to assume your skin is not so pale that people frequently mistake you for a white person.
It would be interesting to compare these results to a survey about whether or not racial profiling exists, or is acceptable. I've come across people who insist that racial profiling is acceptable ("statistics!") but also claim that there aren't advantages to being white.

2,956 posts, read 2,343,801 times
Complicated. In the past it was real 100%, even the recent past. There is a certain advantage still to being in a good family and having a large percentage of your group on the up and up does have an advantage. Ask any black that gets pulled over randomly for driving while black or take your average Asian or White house hold and compare it to the average black household. There are noticeable differences and it isn't just a $$ thing.

Regardless of that, ultimately much of the issues folks face are self created.

I think a big issue with blacks in general are the violent crime rates. Makes it much harder to have any sympathy what so ever when you look at some of the numbers there and see who is driving the violent crime in most areas. This violent crime also impacts police incidence and likely why we see increased rates for more minor items.

Now all that said:

Red lining was real. Many of you were alive when it was still going on.

Until relatively recently, racism was a major problem. Still one, although nothing like what it was. Things on that front have improved for sure but there are still racists out there and small pockets of areas where this is still a major problem.

There are differences in sentencing, especially for drugs which should be addressed.

Outside of that, I lay most of the blame on communities and a small bit of that blame falls on the system that has kept these communities together allowing a sub culture of thugs and defiance to dominate.

I think many of the issues the ghettos face are simply a result of ramming poor people in there, throwing a lid on it and letting it sit for decades without anyone really caring.

As for privileged. These days it has more to do with economic status, education and household habits than it does skin color. Although most of you were alive when skin color did impact things. So I guess that means it is real but becoming less of an issue?

Last edited by aridon; 05-07-2018 at 02:39 PM..

Old 05-07-2018, 02:27 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
It does and don't think for a minute that I haven't used it. It also works the other way....

Old 05-07-2018, 02:27 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,030 times
In terms of generational wealth, blacks certainly face a disadvantage when trying to get ahead. It seems like the barriers to economic mobility increase every year, and it doesn't help that almost all black college students must take out student loans. If you want to succeed in this county as an African-American, you essentially have to start from nothing. Probably an unpopular view, but that's the way I see it.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
It would be interesting to compare these results to a survey about whether or not racial profiling exists, or is acceptable.
Is racial profiling what people mean when they talk about "white privilege?"

Old 05-07-2018, 02:34 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Quote:
Is racial profiling what people mean when they talk about "white privilege?"
I believe it's part of it, but not all of it.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:10 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Quote:
I think there's something to the notion of Asian privilege, yes... but, it's not a whole system thing in the way that white privilege would be.
I don’t know what Asian privilege is about. Do you mean Eastern and Southeast Asians or are you including middle eastern Asians, whom I don’t think generally have much privelige in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies