Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: White privilege, based on the quote in the OP:
I think it exists. 64 30.05%
Maybe it does exist, but only in the form mentioned in the quote. 4 1.88%
Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. 27 12.68%
I don't agree with the quote. 33 15.49%
No way it exists and the quote and this question are silly. 85 39.91%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 01:58 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times

Advertisements

I was reading an article for one of my graduate courses and thought some of you might find it interesting. It's brief.

Here's a really concise quote.... based on this quote, how would you answer the poll?

"It’s important to note that privilege does not guarantee good outcomes for the privileged group or bad outcomes for everyone else. A white person, for example, can work hard and have little to show for it, can be mistreated by the police without cause, be denied a job they’re qualified for. What privilege does is load the odds one way or the other so that the chance of bad things happening to white people as a category of people is much lower than for everyone else, and the chance of good things happening is much higher. Privilege is not something a person can have, like a possession, as in “Where’s mine?” Instead, it is a characteristic of the social system—like a rule in a game—in which everyone participates."

Here's a link to it if anyone wants to read the article (I promise, it really is short): What is a ‘system of privilege’? – Allan G. Johnson

So... what's your opinion, based on the definition offered above?

Old 05-07-2018, 02:03 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
My opinion is it’s a bunch of made up garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 02:04 PM

18,744 posts, read 7,617,731 times
White Privilege: How much do you or don't you acknowledge it?

Acknowledge what?

Old 05-07-2018, 02:07 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I was reading an article for one of my graduate courses and thought some of you might find it interesting. It's brief.

Here's a really concise quote.... based on this quote, how would you answer the poll?

"It’s important to note that privilege does not guarantee good outcomes for the privileged group or bad outcomes for everyone else. A white person, for example, can work hard and have little to show for it, can be mistreated by the police without cause, be denied a job they’re qualified for. What privilege does is load the odds one way or the other so that the chance of bad things happening to white people as a category of people is much lower than for everyone else, and the chance of good things happening is much higher. Privilege is not something a person can have, like a possession, as in “Where’s mine?” Instead, it is a characteristic of the social system—like a rule in a game—in which everyone participates."

Here's a link to it if anyone wants to read the article (I promise, it really is short): What is a ‘system of privilege’? – Allan G. Johnson

So... what's your opinion, based on the definition offered above?
I'm a dark-skinned ghetto kid who turned to anarchism.

I have the world by the balls...especially the 5-0.

Keep your friends close but your enemies closer. Don Corleone didn't lie to Michael.

There is no white privilege. Get your game on, folks.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:09 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
I think it’s nuts to think that it doesn’t exist.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:10 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,974 times
As a black person, when someone tells me (especially if they're white) that white people have privilege, I see it as insulting instead of the other way around. The worst ones are the ones who say how bad it is for "people of color" and get upset when POC try to say it doesn't exist.

But in my mind, I'm like ..."wait aren't you admitting that you're saying that you're better than me based off your skin color and acknowledging it in my face?" It's almost like they're saying "I'm white, you're black. Society says I have more power than you and you'll never be as great as me. But here, let me feel sorry for you because you're not white like me".

Idk I always find the ones who don't speak about race or whatever to just be themselves and normal people and I like those folks the most. Personally, I still experience some things, like sure I'll get racially profiled while driving by a cop (I drive a nicer car model and cops will ask me if it's my car...of course, that's speculation, but you never know), but I get ahead on my own merits in life. I don't live the live of "the white man is keeping me down". If I did that, I wouldn't get ahead in life as far as I have. I think people who let the whole "we live in a world of white privilege" narrative are the ones who are not successful and the ones who aren't doing much with their life because it's all about programming and the narrative. I don't really buy it, though, myself. Yes, racism and stereotypes exist. But that's about it.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:12 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I think it’s nuts to think that it doesn’t exist.
The belief that it exists is real. I've had white people try to kowtow to me before. If I was a different kind of person I could have really taken advantage of them and the system in general. I just don't like associating with losers though.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:20 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
If you think that white privilege is real, then you must agree that Asian privilege is even more real.

Otherwise, you run into cognitive dissonance.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'm a dark-skinned ghetto kid who turned to anarchism.

I have the world by the balls...especially the 5-0.

Keep your friends close but your enemies closer. Don Corleone didn't lie to Michael.

There is no white privilege. Get your game on, folks.
Do you think the quote itself is inaccurate, though?

Old 05-07-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you think that white privilege is real, then you must agree that Asian privilege is even more real.

Otherwise, you run into cognitive dissonance.
I think there's something to the notion of Asian privilege, yes... but, it's not a whole system thing in the way that white privilege would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies