Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2018, 09:08 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've been applying to jobs in Minnesota. I live in Georgia. If I get offered in job in Minnesota, I will happily move.
From Georgia? I’d have to be paid a lot of money to consider Minnesota. I’m sure it’s beautiful and all, but I couldn’t stand one week of their winter. I hate the cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 09:34 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
because of proximity
And demographics aren’t similar either. I personally don’t understand how having proximity and similar demographics makes Wisconsin and Minnesota comparable when they have different economies.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:13 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
From Georgia? I’d have to be paid a lot of money to consider Minnesota. I’m sure it’s beautiful and all, but I couldn’t stand one week of their winter. I hate the cold.
A Minnesota winter might not be inviting, but in my case, I wouldn't mind giving ice fishing a try. In Georgia though, it is getting more competitive in terms of jobs. Our unemployment rate is higher than Minnesota's.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
It's interesting that the study explicitly excludes farming jobs before making any comparisons. Especially since agriculture is an 88 billion dollar industry in Wisconsin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Current Wisconsin unemployment rate is 2.9%
Current Minnesota unemployment rate is 3.2 %

According to https://www.bls.gov/regions/midwest/minnesota.htm#eag and https://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.wi.htm

I am sure there are other numbers that can be cherry picked to show Minnesota is better but numbers can be easily manipulated to show what you desire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Farming is a very small percentage of the economy even in the most farm-heavy states.
It's called "how to lie with statistics". And actually, James Bond 007, 12% of Wisconsin's employment is agricultural related, with about 1/3 of that on-farm, and about 15% of Minnesota's employment. I couldn't find a stat for how much of MN's ag employment in on-farm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
Why not compare IL to WI?
1. It's done. The Wisconsin people call Illinoisans "FIBs". The "I" stands for Illinois. Use your imagination for the rest. The Illinoisans call the Wisconsinites "Cheeseheads". The Wisconsinners get offended, can't understand why IL objects to FIB, even though that acronym contains two profanities.

2. Illinois is the largest state in the midwest. Despite what people say about the demographics of WI and MN being different, they're more similar than WI and IL.

IL has 3X as many Hispanics as MN and a little more than twice the number as WI. (21%, 7%, 9.8%; respectively)

IL has about 50% more blacks as MN and WI. (16.6%, 11.1%, 9.9%; respectively)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
And demographics aren’t similar either. I personally don’t understand how having proximity and similar demographics makes Wisconsin and Minnesota comparable when they have different economies.
Demographics aren't similar?
MN Non-Hispanic White: 69.6%; WI 72%
MN Black: 11.1%; WI 9.9%
MN Asian: 7.7%; WI 4.8%
MN American Indian: 1.5%; WI 1.0%
MN Hispanic: 7.0%; WI 9.8%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Minnesota
https://datcp.wi.gov/Pages/Publicati...tatistics.aspx
https://www.minnpost.com/community-v...esotas-economy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin#Agriculture
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota#Demographics

They're also religiously similar, though WI has more Catholics.

I think this this MN/WI rivalry is childish and parochial. And it's not just MN/WI. I was in MN visiting one time, watching a video of the MN Historical Society, and they were making fun of Iowa! Very unprofessional.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:05 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,749,992 times
We all the know the script when liberals are in charge of the economy:

High taxes, high house prices, high cost of living, huge homeless, massive poverty, etc...

No wonder why people flee from liberal states to conservative states with affordable housing, lower taxes, and a better business environment

Old 05-13-2018, 06:04 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,814,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
We all the know the script when liberals are in charge of the economy:

High taxes, high house prices, high cost of living, huge homeless, massive poverty, etc...
You've never lived in Minnesota, have you? Taxes are on the high side, but none of those other things are true. Minnesota is one of the most middle class places in the country. It doesn't have a lot of poverty or homelessness, and housing costs are in the middle.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:06 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,255,779 times
Must be doing ok. Hows the homeless rates in those states?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdude2013 View Post
Look at Lousiana, Mississippi, and Alabama.

San Fran/Bay Area is the most innovative place in the world and is very expensive with a lot of high paying jobs. The tech boom is why Trump inherited a great economy.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:05 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
You've never lived in Minnesota, have you? Taxes are on the high side, but none of those other things are true. Minnesota is one of the most middle class places in the country. It doesn't have a lot of poverty or homelessness, and housing costs are in the middle.
I have lived in Minnesota. It's a great place to live. Little chilly during the winter months, but great people with big hearts.

Social safety net is strong enough to hold lots of people from other states.

Minnesota has had medical care for the less fortunate for years. Many people with disabilities move from Wisconsin, where this is not available, to Minnesota while they wait to get on Disability. They even have dental clinics for those on Medicaid. Once again, many low income people from Wisconsin (and other states as well) come for dental care that is not available to them in their home states.

The Duluth Model is a coordinated approach to dealing with domestic violence. Starts with the police arresting abusers, crisis shelters, transitional housing and support, ... It has spread around the country, but it started in Minnesota.

Speaking of Duluth, remember Gordon Ramsey, the Wichita Chief of Police with the viral video of him dancing at the BLM protest and barbecue? He was the Chief of Police in Duluth for years. My guess is he is the one who suggested the barbecue in Wichita.

In Duluth, he advocated for Housing First to get people off the street and into supported housing. He also advocated for Crisis Response Teams so that social workers and police officers could work together to handle mental health crisis situations. Terrific guy. If cloning ever gets underway, I say we should start with him.

Minnesota is full of people like this. Honest. Hard working. Smart.

Great place to live and work.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:21 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
The EPI is a non-partisan institute.

Long story short, since 2010 MN adopted progressive economic policies while WI went the other direction with very conservative right-wing policies. Both states are very close to each other with similar climate and demographic; it couldn't be any better set for a showdown between liberals and conservatives' economic race. So who is better at job growth, employment, wage growth, and quality of life? If you've been paying attention, the answer will not surprise you - the liberals.

"The EPI is a non-partisan institute."

You can fools SOME of the people ALL of the time"

Yo have been Grubbered!

"About EPI. The Economic Policy Institute (EPI) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan think tank created in 1986 to include the needs of low- and middle-income workers in economic policy discussions. EPI believes every working person deserves a good job with fair pay, affordable health care, and retirement security.To achieve this goal, EPI conducts research and analysis on the economic status of working America. EPI proposes public policies that protect and improve the economic conditions of low- and middle-income workers and assesses policies with respect to how they affect those workers.

Gee, a VERY LIBERAL site does a study and lo and behold, they come to LIBERAL results.

Shocking, just SHOCKING, I tell ya'!

Old 05-13-2018, 09:38 AM

25,771 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Case Study Shows Liberals are Better at Economy
Well, they are certainly better at stealing money (the hours of other people's lives) that doesn't belong to them, if you want to call that "economics."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies