Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2018, 01:25 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
We don't have royalties in America. CEOs are just employees - they don't exist without the corporations.
And they shouldn't be paid a royal's fortune.

Quote:
Maybe there's no justification for the CEO pay, but it's none of our business.
I like it as a topic. You seem to, also.

Quote:
A plumber you hired to fix your toilet has no say the obscene amount of money you choose to give to your children.
Analogies just aren't your thing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 01:26 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
I assume you are arguing in good faith, so I'll answer in good faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
1. That what's fair for workers is better decided by workers.
If the workers don't think the compensation is fair, they would walk and find someone who offers them more money. Same goes with the CEO. Plenty of CEOs quit or find greener pasture.

Quote:
2. What's right about such an enormous one? Naturally, I know there's going to be one. But, why so huge?
Enormous based on what standard?

CEO market is a highly competitive and a ton of people (I don't know why - it's ridiculously stressful) line up to take that job, and a ton of companies line up to take every highly performing CEO.

If a CEO can operate your company and generate $10 billion a year of profit. How much would you pay him? $1 million? $10 million? OK, let's say $1 million, and he accepts.

The problem is the next company would offer $2, $5, $10 million to hire him away from you. A good CEO gets called and courted CONSTANTLY!

Now what do you do? Most people would pay him $10 million.

Again, the CEO market is highly competitive just like a day labor market.

Quote:
3. We don't have much of a middle class in the US anymore. Do you think the working poor are middle class?
Everybody in US is ridiculously rich according to every world standard. Not sure what poor people you are talking about.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:29 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
And they shouldn't be paid a royal's fortune.

I like it as a topic. You seem to, also.

Analogies just aren't your thing.

Why shouldn't they be paid?

Why should you, a non-owner, non-stockholder, have any say on how a employee of the company should be paid?

Old 05-17-2018, 01:30 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,758 times
I think it is unfair that congressman Ellison makes many times more than a McDonald's employee and doesn't have to work as hard.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:44 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Damn...it’s just astonishing.

CEO’s in this country grab on average about 339 times the median pay (that’s an important distinction) of their workers. SMH

No wonder CEO’s fought so hard against the pay disclosure portion of Dodd-Frank.

Keith Ellison releases study showing CEOs average 339 times median worker's salary | TheHill
Average CEO made 13.1mil
Average worker made 37,000

Average NBA player makes 6.4mil (including the scrubs and guys on rookie deals)
If you just consider NBA starters and include their endorsement income, you'd be well over the 13.1million figure and there are about as many NBA starters as there are CEO's in the study.

Why is it ok to pay someone that contributes to a companies success via their actions but not to compensate someone running a company and making critical decisions about it's direction?

Why does the usher, guy selling peanuts, woman taking tickets at the games make $10/hour or whatever when a star player is making 1/2million each game in pay and endorsements?

Answer: Because this is political grandstanding and CEO's are the easy target without really having to address the root cause of wage stagnation in the middle class.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:46 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I think it is unfair that congressman Ellison makes many times more than a McDonald's employee and doesn't have to work as hard.
Ellison makes a ton more than his UNPAID Interns.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:52 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,088,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
That’s quite the projection.
It is against CD policy to edit quoted posts. Deleting a portion of the original post is still editing. In your case you are trying to make the poster you are quoting to be a racist.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:53 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1
Did I say otherwise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No you didn’t.
Thank you!

Reading Comprehension: 100%

Old 05-17-2018, 03:25 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
If I'm a stock owner of the company its definitely my business.
Dude, those 4 or 5 shares you have in Billy Bob’s Greasy Burgers stock doesn’t entitle you to a voice. Let’s not bog this thread down in delusions of CD grandiosity.

We’re talking about people that punch way above your station in life. Let’s keep it that way.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:28 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
It is against CD policy to edit quoted posts. Deleting a portion of the original post is still editing. In your case you are trying to make the poster you are quoting to be a racist.
True, but as long as you don’t alter any words, it’s generally permissible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies