Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2018, 07:26 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Again, if wealthy black athletes are an anathema to you, tell us about it on your own thread.
I didn’t know all NBA players are black. Why is that? Racism it must be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 08:06 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Damn...it’s just astonishing.

CEO’s in this country grab on average about 339 times the median pay (that’s an important distinction) of their workers. SMH

Ellison said the report, which includes data on nearly 14 million workers at 225 American companies, paints a dire picture of pay disparities in the U.S. For example, at 188 out of the 225 companies analyzed, a single CEO's salary could be used to pay more than 100 workers.

No wonder CEO’s fought so hard against the pay disclosure portion of Dodd-Frank.

Keith Ellison releases study showing CEOs average 339 times median worker's salary | TheHill

The report is nonsense.

The average salary for CEO's in companies and corporations is $231,080.

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes111011.htm

225 is less than 0.1% of the total companies in operation and while 14 Million workers sounds like a lot, it's only 9% of the total number of workers.

They obviously cherry-picked the data to skew it to achieve the results they wanted.

Like everything else, wages/salaries are based on the Supply & Demand of a specific Skill-set in a defined Labor Market.

The Demand for CEO's is so great, that the Labor Market is no longer limited to the US, as it's now Global, with a number of CEO's of US companies being foreign non-US citizens.

For those that think they can manage a global company for less, why aren't you?

Old 05-17-2018, 08:16 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The report is nonsense.

225 is less than 0.1% of the total companies in operation and while 14 Million workers sounds like a lot, it's only 9% of the total number of workers.

They obviously cherry-picked the data to skew it to achieve the results they wanted.

Like everything else, wages/salaries are based on the Supply & Demand of a specific Skill-set in a defined Labor Market.

The Demand for CEO's is so great, that the Labor Market is no longer limited to the US, as it's now Global, with a number of CEO's of US companies being foreign non-US citizens.

They don’t understand how things work at all. All they see is $$$ the CEOs earn and they are so jealous about that.

If they knew, they wouldn't be so jealous. A CEO’s job is incredibly demanding and stressful, physically, mentally and emotionally. Nobody can pay me enough to do it.

Who would give up their family, personal life, and health, and work 24x7x365 for some shareholders?

Old 05-17-2018, 08:55 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The report is nonsense.
It's not cherry picked, it represents large companies, you know darned well that the Exxon or McDonald's CEO's don't make $231,080. Ellison describes how the firms were chosen:

These data were compiled by Bloomberg from the SEC’s EDGAR database.45 We have limited our data to the first 225 Fortune 500 companies to file with the SEC. Bloomberg’s reported ratios are rounded to the nearest integer. For example, Bloomberg has reported Berkshire-Hathaway’s CEO pay ratio as “2,”46 while the calculated ratio is “1.87.”47 To check for discrepancies, we have included a “calculated ratio” tab in our full database online, using the calculated ratio of median employee salary and CEO pay as reported by Bloomberg.

The firms surveyed represent 14 million workers.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:56 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
They don’t understand how things work at all. All they see is $$$ the CEOs earn and they are so jealous about that.

If they knew, they wouldn't be so jealous. A CEO’s job is incredibly demanding and stressful, physically, mentally and emotionally. Nobody can pay me enough to do it.

Who would give up their family, personal life, and health, and work 24x7x365 for some shareholders?
cry me a river

Old 05-17-2018, 10:02 PM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Jesus Christ! It always comes down to those damn basketball players, doesn’t it!
They're the highest average paid athlete so that's why I chose them.

I also checked MLB.

You didn't address my point and we both know it's because you don't have a coherent rebuttal other than to somehow try to spin it like I'm picking on the NBA.

Nope. They're just the highest average pay and as a side note are the sport I pay the most attention to but that's just a coincidence.

This whole topic is a hypocritical attempt at class warfare because they don't want to address the root cause of wage stagnation which is off-shoring and on-shoring to utilize cheap labor.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:41 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:

Do you actually know any CEO’s. I do and their life is not that demanding or stressful yet they reap the rewards. The COO’s actually run the daily operations.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:39 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They're the highest average paid athlete so that's why I chose them.

I also checked MLB.

You didn't address my point and we both know it's because you don't have a coherent rebuttal other than to somehow try to spin it like I'm picking on the NBA.

Nope. They're just the highest average pay and as a side note are the sport I pay the most attention to but that's just a coincidence.

This whole topic is a hypocritical attempt at class warfare because they don't want to address the root cause of wage stagnation which is off-shoring and on-shoring to utilize cheap labor.
Class warfare is real Math, no matter how much you guys wanna deny it. The guys on top are the ones that declared the damn war, not the working class. The working class just fell for all the bull**** like big tax cuts, gutting regulations, destroying their own unions and voting in right to work legislation because politicians make it sound so good.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:51 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
Quote:
Did he or did he not voluntarily pay more taxes than legally required ?
Chessgeek refuses to answer that question.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:59 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,122,800 times
Quote:
Damn...it’s just astonishing.

CEO’s in this country grab on average about 339 times the median pay (that’s an important distinction) of their workers. SMH

No wonder CEO’s fought so hard against the pay disclosure portion of Dodd-Frank.

Keith Ellison releases study showing CEOs average 339 times median worker's salary | TheHill
What my wife makes is no business of yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies