Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 08:55 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,315,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Yes, the group of people is called shareholders, owners, or shareholders appointed board of directors. The workers aren't owners of the company.

Should a contractor you hired to remodel your kitchen decide how much money your sons and daughters should inherit from you?

Let me repeat this again, workers aren't owners of the company. They have no say, legally or morally, in how the company or the shareholders decide to distribute the company funds or asset.
Oh, I know that.

I was merely pointing out that there's a subset of workers who could better distribute wealth within a company that would close the wage gap and give us back the middle class in this country. And, CEOs would not exactly have to go begging afterward or sign up for any social programs.

I'm not saying it SHOULD happen. I understand how companies work.

LOL.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:59 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,661,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Why are people so concerned about how much other people have in their pocketbooks? If you don't like earning a fraction of CEO pay start your own business.
American CEOs earn 400 to 500 times the median salary of workers.

In the U.K. the ratio is 22.
In France it's 15.
And in Germany it's 12.

CEO Compensation in the US Vs. the World | Chron.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 09:11 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,661,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Lots of jealousy from crazed liberals.
Warren Buffet and Bill Gates are 2 of the richest people in the world, are liberals jealous of them? No, and liberals go as far as to name laws after them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffett_Rule

Liberals are not jealous of the wealthy. Instead liberals oppose the wealthy controlling our government and they oppose the wealthy having lower tax rates than middle class Americans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB1FXvYvcaI

Old 05-17-2018, 10:37 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,256,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Warren Buffet and Bill Gates are 2 of the richest people in the world, are liberals jealous of them? No, and liberals go as far as to name laws after them.

Liberals are not jealous of the wealthy. Instead liberals oppose the wealthy controlling our government and they oppose the wealthy having lower tax rates than middle class Americans.

Warren Buffett will do for Warren Buffett first. Any wealthy person will protect their bottom line first. Anything else is secondary. They talk the liberal talk and thus are the darlings of the left.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:51 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,599,114 times
Quote:

Has Warren Buffet or Bill Gates put his money where his mouth is?

Did anybody put a gun on their heads preventing them from paying more taxes??

Old 05-17-2018, 10:51 AM

17,846 posts, read 13,758,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Nope I believe in private enterprise and Ellison keeping his nose out of what people are paid. It's none of his business.

Apparently bothers YOU that these people can earn this amount of money.
No, what bothers me is the change in the ratio over the decades.

It's becoming problematic and I shall illustrate:

CEO to worker pay ratio:

1950 20:1

1980 42:1

2000 200: 1

2012 273:1

2017 343:1

"Believing in free enterprise" does not make this trend healthy for the overall economy.

When would you think that this ratio becomes problematic? 500:1? 1,000:1? 1 million to 1?

Perhaps it's not a real problem now. But it's going to be.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Oh, I know that.

I was merely pointing out that there's a subset of workers who could better distribute wealth within a company that would close the wage gap and give us back the middle class in this country. And, CEOs would not exactly have to go begging afterward or sign up for any social programs.

I'm not saying it SHOULD happen. I understand how companies work.

LOL.
1. If you understand that, what is your point then?
2. What's wrong with wage gap?
3. What do you mean "give us back the middle class"? The middle class has been an ever growing thing here.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

CEO to worker pay ratio:

"Believing in free enterprise" does not make this trend healthy for the overall economy.

When would you think that this ratio becomes problematic? 500:1? 1,000:1? 1 million to 1?

What's wrong with that, exactly?

If a person is not so jealous, he wouldn't care if it's 1 billion to 1. Other people's wealth or income is of no concern to him.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:06 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,592,066 times
Quote:
We don't have royalty/nobility in America. We fought a revolution over it. CEOs don't qualify as contemporary replacements.
Quote:
If a person is not so jealous, he wouldn't care if it's 1 billion to 1. Other people's wealth or income is of no concern to him.
Better pay for more Americans instead of vulgar pay for a handful of fatcats.

There's no justification for obscene CEO/Executive pay.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:27 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,265,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Many, many workers work long, long hours, expected to be on call 24/7 and are under a tremendous amount of stress as contract workers...without benefits. Particularly in software engineering.
Not true. Only CEO’s work hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Did I say otherwise?
No you didn’t.
Quote:
I fail to see how that is your or my problem.

I guess I am not so jealous as you are.
Even if I were jealous, that’s beside the point. Address the issue.
Quote:
So what?
Say that when burger flippers want $15 an hour.
Quote:
Nobody cares what CEOs earn. They care what workers do NOT earn.
Thank you!!
Quote:
When did we implement slavery again?

Every worker does decide how much they get paid.

By the way, CEO is just another worker hired by the board.
That’s complete BS. The CEO is not just another worker. One minute you guys are claiming that these are extraordinary individuals that have nearly godlike abilities to generate profits, the next minute you’re making a case that they’re members of the proletariat.

Gimme a break.
Quote:
Not what I meant.

What I meant is that there's a circle of people up top who decide how much to pay one another AND how much to pay other people.

I think that if they anonymously screened employees to ask what a fair distribution would be, they'd be quite surprised at the workers' determinations of what is fair and equitable.

And, I really do think the workers would be fairer than the CEOs.

I believe people often see this as CEOs vs fairly low-skill workers, but the reality is that there's a chasm between CEOs and some of their closest advisors who aren't quite in the C band at most companies.

And those types DO know what CEOs do and what it's worth.
There is no way in hell that most of these CEO’s deserve hundreds to thousands time what their own workers make. When compared to their foreign counterparts, it’s absolutely obscene.

Quote:
American CEOs earn 400 to 500 times the median salary of workers.

In the U.K. the ratio is 22.
In France it's 15.
And in Germany it's 12.

CEO Compensation in the US Vs. the World | Chron.com
Thank you!! What in the hell makes an American CEO worth more to his company than an American CEO? After living in Germany, I know that their corporate culture is a helluva lot better than ours is. German corporations are usually the picture of stability and profitability WHILE paying their workers excellent pay and benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

CEO to worker pay ratio:

It’s already a problem.

What in the hell accounts for CEO’s being so much more valuable now than they were in 1950? Absolutely nothing and we all know it.

It’s gotten way out of hand.
Quote:

Again, burger flippers asking for $15 was triggering you types left and right. Why were you so concerned with what they were asking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
We don't have royalty/nobility in America. We fought a revolution over it. CEOs don't qualify as contemporary replacements.
Better pay for more Americans instead of vulgar pay for a handful of fatcats.

There's no justification for obscene CEO/Executive pay.

It’s simply outrageous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies