Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 10:05 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It might have caused it but it will not excuse gun violence the likes of which that Santa Fe school saw. But if she was continually asked out, she should have saught principal help.
Really, going to the school principle because she was being asked out on dates too much?!

Its unfortunate, but these are going to keep happening, despite how many laws or regulations they create in an attempt to stop or decrease them. They really should have learned this lesson by now.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:10 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Of course the single or double, etc, entry is easily done, emergency exits can be one way doors as is not uncommon.

But I do not see how this would prevent a school shooting. You would have to set up a security zone either before or after the entry, because a visitor would still potentially need access, so that visitor would have to be searched, then allowed entry; that in itself requires yet more resources, especially given how many visitors a school can get. Plus it would not do anything if an authorized person brings in a gun.

As for the security card access, I can just imagine the number of students who will forget/lose their cards, and the lines I imagine would be very long to get in since everyone needs to report to school at the same time.
How many school shootings do you see in inner city schools ? While their neighborhoods might be completely filled with violence you don't see it right in the school. Probably because many, not all have limited entrances with metal detectors. I know my old high school has them now. Food for thought...

Old 05-21-2018, 10:11 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Of course the single or double, etc, entry is easily done, emergency exits can be one way doors as is not uncommon.

But I do not see how this would prevent a school shooting. You would have to set up a security zone either before or after the entry, because a visitor would still potentially need access, so that visitor would have to be searched, then allowed entry; that in itself requires yet more resources, especially given how many visitors a school can get. Plus it would not do anything if an authorized person brings in a gun.

As for the security card access, I can just imagine the number of students who will forget/lose their cards, and the lines I imagine would be very long to get in since everyone needs to report to school at the same time.
Every school my kids have gone to in the last 20 years you have to sign in and get a badge. The first time you show up you have to present your driver's license or ID and they put it in the system. Most volunteers now HAVE to agree to a background check. If you are in school without a 'badge' (a stick on label) you are asked to leave or go get one.

No matter if they know you or not - you HAVE to check in at the office.

The high school had close to 4000 kids. There was only one way to get on the grounds with a vehicle and you had to check in with them. They directed you to the office for identification.

Kids leaving school or arriving after the start of school and before dismissal have to show their ID. All the kids HAVE to have an ID on at all times.

So everyone in the building, on the campus has to have some kind of ID......

Old 05-21-2018, 10:17 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't blame Congress. I blame them for a lot, but this wasn't going to be stopped federally. The gun debates stretch more on The state level. Blame Texas's government who has an LT. Governor who thinks that having one single entrance would have stopped this. Fire codes prevent that you idiot, plus unless there is metal detection, the gun would get in and for all we know they could shoot outside of the school too.
News flash: This isn't the fault of lawmakers, or the NRA, or anyone else you try to pin the blame on.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:42 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,329,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Another school shooting this morning at a high school outside of Galveston

According to hearsay, at least one student was shot in the leg.

No information yet available if this was a dispute between 2 people or an intended mass shooting.

Suspect is in custody.

You can't really blame guns for school shooting, parents need to START police-ing their children!

Old 05-21-2018, 10:49 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Ritalin and adderall are speed which most of us grew up with. And no prescription was needed....black beauties, white cross. What else? Blaming people taking this medication is a poor excuse and just making things up to try and justify shootings.
Ritalin, also sold as an extended-release medication called Concerta, is methylphenidate, which, while classified as a central nervous system stimulant, is not an amphetamine (aka speed). Please stop perpetuating this lie.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:01 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Sandy Hook scumbag-Lexapro
Race warrior scumbag-Suboxone
Vegas scumbag-Diazepam
Aurora scumbag-Zoloft and Luvox
Neither suboxone or diazepam are used to treat ADHD

Old 05-21-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:

you're correct, fancy doors and metal detectors only work if you have an armed guard at each one. Limiting egress to one entrance/exit in a large school could be very dangerous in case of a natural disaster.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubyaM View Post
Why was the shooter even allowed in the school building wearing a trench coat in 90 degree weather? I know students have their "rights" but after a school shooting or two one would think the authorities would see the problem here. In addition, why was he allowed to wear a tee shirt with "born to kill" on it. He should have been sent home and put on a watch list.
I have to disagree with you on this. When I went to high school in the 60's there were kids who were very overweight who would wear inappropriate clothing, like an overcoat or trench coat regardless of the weather in order to conceal their size. And as far as I know he did not wear that t-shirt to school

Old 05-21-2018, 12:14 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I know common sense eludes most people it seems but having one single entrance or several is completely plausible. These would be just monitored entrances, while there could be however many emergency exits as code requires.

I work in a building that has around 1200 people in it. We have 5 entrances which are turnstyles with key card readers. In the event of an emergency there are emergency exits all thru the building and the turn styles open up. How is this so hard to get for some ?
It isn't and I have worked security. For one, we are not talking about a single school like I went to when I was in school. Many especially high schools are multiple buildings so this method wouldn't work. We are also talking schools with around 2,400 students and 100+ additional full-time staff at the school. And they all rush in about the half of an hour before school starts. So let's say of the 2500 people on a campus for a given day, we have 1800 at that point that have 30 minutes to get magged, or wanded have a pet down in one single entrance. At an average 20 seconds to check bags and pass through the math don't add up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies