Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2018, 05:44 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Aside from being extremely elitist, I assume you never frequent your local library? Or park? The mall? Or any other place you may run into people you imply are beneath you?

Do yourself a favor and join a country club or a yacht club. They'll keep the riffraff out for you. After all, Starbucks does have an obligation to suit your needs and yours alone.
The concept of spending $200 - $300 a month on a couple of cups of coffee every day is elitist like people are too good to make their own coffee anymore at home. And don't tell me you don't have time to make a pot of coffee, put a cup or two into a thermos of some kind and take that to work with you instead of stopping every day and buying it at 10 times the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 05:49 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The concept of spending $200 - $300 a month on a couple of cups of coffee every day is elitist like people are too good to make their own coffee anymore at home. And don't tell me you don't have time to make a pot of coffee, put a cup or two into a thermos of some kind and take that to work with you instead of stopping every day and buying it at 10 times the cost.
Is the average Starbucks coffee $10 a pop now? I haven't been in a Starbucks in probably five years or so. I was at an event, and it was the only place to get a cup of coffee within walking distance. I don't remember it being near that expensive, maybe I paid $5, but I drink plain coffee, black. I can't imagine dropping a car payment a month on coffee.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Is the average Starbucks coffee $10 a pop now? I haven't been in a Starbucks in probably five years or so. I was at an event, and it was the only place to get a cup of coffee within walking distance. I don't remember it being near that expensive, maybe I paid $5, but I drink plain coffee, black. I can't imagine dropping a car payment a month on coffee.
No not $10 a pop but I see many people I work with also go in their on their breaks, lunches and then they also buy snacks there along with stopping at the drive through on the way to work. You can double that if you are married and both people are doing it. It all comes out of monthly household expenses.
A co-worker of mine went every day sometimes twice a day and then he quit going. He saved $200 a month when he stopped.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:22 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
This is going to be a big problem where I live. There is a homeless shelter three blocks away, and the homeless have congregated in front of the Starbucks for years, including sleeping on their benches. I used to hate walking past them all (they smell bad, too), but I did it. If you are telling me that they now will be IN the Starbucks, hogging the seats there, well.....I'm going to save a lot of money making my own coffee.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:42 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,654,050 times
There is a nearby Jack in the Box restaurant/homeless shelter that is open 24/7. The management encourages them to hang out and the bums and employees speak to each other on a first name basis. I get panhandled sometimes. The bums enjoy bottomless coffee in which they fill with sugar and creamer over and over. I call this the ''homeless Jack''.

Does Starbucks have free refills for their coffee?

Old 05-23-2018, 07:06 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Quote:
I don't drink coffee.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I don't drink coffee.
I wasn't referring to you and sorry if it sounded that way. I do drink coffee and make my own. I have a $39 dollar Mr. Coffee brewer that I can set the night before and wake up to coffee already made

Old 05-23-2018, 07:19 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Quote:
I wasn't referring to you and sorry if it sounded that way. I do drink coffee and make my own. I have a $39 dollar Mr. Coffee brewer that I can set the night before and wake up to coffee already made
Congratulations.

Other people can chose to spend their money however they want. Clearly some people are so offended at the thought of Starbucks not requiring a purchase that they will choose to spend their money elsewhere. As is their right. The rest of us think this is making a mountain out of a mole hill and will continue to live our lives the way we see fit. Some of which will include frequenting Starbucks.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:45 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,788,575 times
Quote:
Congratulations.

Other people can chose to spend their money however they want. Clearly some people are so offended at the thought of Starbucks not requiring a purchase that they will choose to spend their money elsewhere. As is their right. The rest of us think this is making a mountain out of a mole hill and will continue to live our lives the way we see fit. Some of which will include frequenting Starbucks.
LOL! There is truth in what you say.

However, I see it from a different angle. It's clear to me that Starbucks has always tried to emulate the "Café Culture" of Europe. One of the great things about the place. Buy one drink and sit for hours while reading or people watching. Nothing wrong with that.

But... like all things we try to directly import from Europe, it becomes sterilized and "mallified." Most Starbucks look alike as it is a chain. Most cafes in Europe are independently owned and have their own identities and quirks.

And part of the European Café Culture is that everyone is on the same page about purchases and the like. As we have seen recently, America cannot even adopt a simple pastime without it turning into yet another Selma.

Sure Starbucks can and should do as the please and ultimately it is no big deal. Yet it has been a big deal and that is what is pathetic about the whole thing.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:10 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,130,165 times
Quote:
That's a new one I've not heard anyone claim before, "going to Starbucks is an elitist thing". It's not an "elitist" situation at all. It's more of a convenience type of situation. That's what got me into it. I used to brew my own at home but one day I decided to just stop in and grab something already made, or close to already made. It becomes a habit, a morning ritual of sorts. You then start to enjoy talking with those who work there and those regulars who are also there to purchase items, ultimately building a friendship/bond with them. Same goes for when I become a regular at restaurants I like.

Plus there are many different type, style and tastes of brew to choose from on any given day. Brewing it at home would require you to have on hand many different blends. Again, it's just very convenient to go to a place that has many different blends ready to roll right off the bat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies