Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2018, 11:14 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,837,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I don't understand why so many people care.

Didn't you whiners start protesting Starbucks years ago over a cup? What do you care who they welcome into their stores?
lol good point

Regardless, many businesses do things like this.

Did you know there is a whole science behind the placement of items in grocery stores in such a way that it increases the amount of time and area people must cover while picking up commonly purchased items. They wisely understand that people spending more time in their business leads to more impulse buys which leads to more sales and more money.

Likewise, if you have ever been in a large IKEA, they are designed like a maze so that people are guided through every section of merchandise. They have a cafeteria to encourage people to stay longer, or make a trip out just for lunch. Same with Costco, and Costco actually takes a LOSS on the food they sell. They offer the food at lower prices than it costs them to supply because it brings people to the stores, and when people come to the stores they end up buying lots of stuff.

Bookstores before they took a hit from online sales, tech stores like Best Buy etc, all are similar in policy. Not a single one will hound people to buy something or leave.

I think you would be hard pressed to find any large retail chain that will boot people out for browsing or just hanging out, because it does not make business sense to do so - you alienate customers, you lose future sales, you lose potential impulse buy sales, it is a lose/lose no matter how you cut it.

Any of these stores will allow browsing without purchasing, because they are smart enough to understand that on the whole more people spending a longer time in their stores leads to them making more money. It is not rocket science, it is good business practice - and a bunch of people who somehow lack the capacity to understand these simple concepts aren't going to change their minds into making decisions that are bad for their bottom $$$$.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 05-22-2018 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 11:21 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,131,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I don't understand why so many people care.

Didn't you whiners start protesting Starbucks years ago over a cup? What do you care who they welcome into their stores?
I can't speak for everybody but I would like to go to a place where the bathrooms are clean, the furniture I'm going to sit on is clean, and I don't have to worry about catching an airborne illness as easily.

For example, one of the Starbucks I used to stop off at every weekday morning on my way to work got in these really nice sofa chairs. They were so beautiful and even so comfortable. Roughly three days later, I noticed one of these sofa chairs sitting up against the dumpster outside. Of course when I was ordering my drink I had to inquire as to what happened to it. They said the day before a homeless guy crapped and pzzed it all out.

At a different Starbucks that I regularly went to every day, a friend of mine working there told me one of the chicks that works there was paranoid about touching the bathroom doorknob lever when she would go in to clean so she would use the back of her wrist to push it down and open the door. A rash started on the place on the back of her wrist where she touched the doorknob lever, and now she's got some weird skin condition right there on that spot. FYI - This was the Starbucks location I had mentioned previously where on average they need to bring in an outside cleaning resource that deals with the cleanup of human waste to clean up their bathroom when someone(s) thrash it with human waste.

Why would I want to go to a place like that?

Old 05-22-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Wow, what a really stupid decision just to be politically correct. Wait till the homeless and drug addicts, and there are a lot of them in many cities, make it their prime location to get out of the heat, get out of the cold, use the bathrooms to shoot drugs into their arms leaving needles on the ground.
Who's going to want to stop at Starbucks for coffee when you're standing 10 ft away from someone who hasn't showered in a few weeks? I suppose you can hold your nose and look the other way and pretend they aren't there while they're waiting for a handout from you.
Like I said in another thread about Starbucks, they had a good run from about 1995 until maybe 2012 - 2013ish. But now, it's over for Bozo.

I just got completely burned out on the entire Starbucks experience. Standing at the register waiting to order while the person behind the counter is dealing with a hand full of cell app orders. That right there pizzed me off. I'm standing there at the register and the cell app order people aren't even there. On top of that, when those cell app people come in, they expect everyone working there to stop whatever they are doing and make sure that their drink is right there waiting for them. BS!

And then we got all the other stuff like the crapped out vandalized bathrooms, homeless lounging around inside. And the growing number of electronic robberies taking place. It all just mounted to a huge turn-off. It's been two months now since I was a "paying" customer there. I'd rather go to AM/PM Minimarket and/or 7/11 to get a cup of coffee and be done with it already. Imagine that. I went in, got my coffee, paid and was getting back in my car in less then three minutes this morning at 7/11 and at a fraction of the cost too!

Last edited by FC76-81; 05-22-2018 at 11:50 AM..

Old 05-22-2018, 11:35 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,046,623 times
All this came because 2 black males were removed by police from a Starbucks location. Just 2 average joe black men, they were not celebrities, activists, rappers etc. It is amazing how a small incident thousands miles away from HQ can change the company.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:36 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,605,383 times
That's a nice gesture but I'm not too sure about that. I'm not trying to denigrate the homeless but what if a bunch of them just show up and want to sit in from the hot sun?

Old 05-22-2018, 11:39 AM

24,650 posts, read 9,477,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
All this came because 2 black males were removed by police from a Starbucks location. Just 2 average joe black men, they were not celebrities, activists, rappers etc. It is amazing how a small incident thousands miles away from HQ can change the company.
We live in a new world. All you need a smartphone, attitude, and resistance to police officers to change HQ company policies.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:46 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,731,911 times
That's how Starbucks has always been. LOL They're just putting out an official policy. I have no idea why anyone would care about this or be so triggered over a private company's decision.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:48 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
I can't speak for everybody but I would like to go to a place where the bathrooms are clean, the furniture I'm going to sit on is clean, and I don't have to worry about catching an airborne illness as easily.

For example, one of the Starbucks I used to stop off at every weekday morning on my way to work got in these really nice sofa chairs. They were so beautiful and even so comfortable. Roughly three days later, I noticed one of these sofa chairs sitting up against the dumpster outside. Of course when I was ordering my drink I had to inquire as to what happened to it. They said the day before a homeless guy crapped and pzzed it all out.

At a different Starbucks that I regularly went to every day, a friend of mine working there told me one of the chicks that works there was paranoid about touching the bathroom doorknob lever when she would go in to clean so she would use the back of her wrist to push it down and open the door. A rash started on the place on the back of her wrist where she touched the doorknob lever, and now she's got some weird skin condition right there on that spot. FYI - This was the Starbucks location I had mentioned previously where on average they need to bring in an outside cleaning resource that deals with the cleanup of human waste to clean up their bathroom when someone(s) thrash it with human waste.

Why would I want to go to a place like that?
Aside from being extremely elitist, I assume you never frequent your local library? Or park? The mall? Or any other place you may run into people you imply are beneath you?

Do yourself a favor and join a country club or a yacht club. They'll keep the riffraff out for you. After all, Starbucks does have an obligation to suit your needs and yours alone.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:48 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,046,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
We live in a new world. All you need a smartphone, attitude, and resistance to police officers to change HQ company policies.
OMG, this is only the beginning then......

Old 05-22-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
People are scared. Any time race is brought up most people quiver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies