Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is the most progressive?
North Carolina 116 32.04%
South Carolina 2 0.55%
Tennessee 18 4.97%
Georgia 103 28.45%
Alabama 6 1.66%
Mississippi 9 2.49%
Florida 108 29.83%
Voters: 362. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 08:26 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
No the GOP does well in the South because they are great at gerrymandering districts, using scare tactics to appeal to poor and uneducated whites, using religious brainwashing to keep people separated and voting against their own self interests. I am a southerner and don't agree with most of their platform.
I didn't mean to imply that all southerners are Republican voters. I thought it was clear that I am talking about the majority or plurality of voters.

I think if Democrats could win majority of middle class people in the suburbs in the south, it wouldn't need to do that well among poor white rural voters to become the majority party in the south.

By definition rural areas are sparsely populated. That is why I'm surprised to see so much commentary on this forum about rural white people.

If there are significant number of people of all income levels voting for GOP in the south, there doesn't seem to be a correlation between wealth and education and what party a person supports.

Looking at South Carolina 2016 presidential election results, it looks like Trump won all but two of the 22 counties with the highest per capita income.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-13-2018 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 09:33 AM

88 posts, read 50,865 times
I would say Florida. Florida is a swing state, which means it is, almost by definition, less conservative/republican than staunch red states. The biggest reason that Florida is a swing state is due to a large Hispanic population and issues that Republican immigration policies cause with this demographic. If you are referring only to the “deep south”/”bible belt” group of Republican-dominated states that were once part of the Confederacy, then I would say Georgia.

North Carolina? I think the transgender bathroom bill controversy ruined the progressive reputation.

Virginia? Most likely Northern VA is more progressive than the rest of the state.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:42 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,304,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory05 View Post
I would say Florida. Florida is a swing state, which means it is, almost by definition, less conservative/republican than staunch red states. The biggest reason that Florida is a swing state is due to a large Hispanic population and issues that Republican immigration policies cause with this demographic. If you are referring only to the “deep south”/”bible belt” group of Republican-dominated states that were once part of the Confederacy, then I would say Georgia.
Along with strong voter turnout and active Democratic campaigning.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:50 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,573,647 times
North Carolina or Florida?

Old 06-13-2018, 08:49 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,214,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Looking at South Carolina 2016 presidential election results, it looks like Trump won all but two of the 22 counties with the highest per capita income.
Charleston and Richland counties voted against Trump and are among the largest and most prosperous in the state, although certainly their level of well being (and voting patterns) vary a great deal between different sections. South Carolina is a bit unusual in that virtually every rural county in the state has a moderate to high minority (predominantly black) population, in a lot of cases higher than the state's metro counties. This is a key reason why unlike in many states, the most strongly Republican counties tend to be more suburban rather than rural.

The two neighboring states of Georgia and North Carolina are quite different. Trump lost Fulton, DeKalb, Cobb and Gwinnett in Georgia, plus Mecklenburg, Wake, Orange, Durham, Guilford and Forsyth in North Carolina among others. All of those counties have a great deal of diversity and above average incomes and shares of college graduates. That doesn't prove more affluent people are voting Democratic, but it does suggest the party performs better in more economically dynamic areas.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Charleston and Richland counties voted against Trump and are among the largest and most prosperous in the state, although certainly their level of well being (and voting patterns) vary a great deal between different sections. South Carolina is a bit unusual in that virtually every rural county in the state has a moderate to high minority (predominantly black) population, in a lot of cases higher than the state's metro counties. This is a key reason why unlike in many states, the most strongly Republican counties tend to be more suburban rather than rural.

The two neighboring states of Georgia and North Carolina are quite different. Trump lost Fulton, DeKalb, Cobb and Gwinnett in Georgia, plus Mecklenburg, Wake, Orange, Durham, Guilford and Forsyth in North Carolina among others. All of those counties have a great deal of diversity and above average incomes and shares of college graduates. That doesn't prove more affluent people are voting Democratic, but it does suggest the party performs better in more economically dynamic areas.
I believe Trump won the majority of the college educated white vote nationally. I don't think that would be any different for the southeast.

My brother lives in north ATL and I think DJT probably won a majority of the middle class people living there.

White college educated Republicans don't gravitate as much to big cites as college educated Democrats. I think the average college educated REpublican in the south prefers a metro about the size of Greenville or Columbia.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-13-2018 at 10:29 PM..

Old 06-13-2018, 10:55 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas3718 View Post
Why is it that poor whites in the south usually vote GOP and poor blacks usually vote Democrat ?
Both are very conservative, but Blacks see the GOP as the party that does not support the black race. The same for poor whites there's no way the poor whites in the south feel like mainstream dems will support their cause either.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:23 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I believe Trump won the majority of the college educated white vote nationally. I don't think that would be any different for the southeast.

My brother lives in north ATL and I think DJT probably won a majority of the middle class people living there.
Clinton won the majority of Metro Atlanta, which pretty much debunks this theory.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/georgia

Old 06-14-2018, 08:35 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Clinton won the majority of Metro Atlanta, which pretty much debunks this theory.

I think Clinton won the white vote in metro Atlanta and Austin. One of the few places in the south she won, among that demographic.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post

I'm talking about the middle class north atlanta suburbs. The boundaries of the counties don't match up with the areas that I'm discussing.

CLinton dominated in the areas of Atlanta with larger number of poor people.

Keep in mind that in the Atlanta metro, there are probably a higher number of Republican voters than several cities in SC combined.

They are outnumbered by Democratic voters but there are more Republicans.

Here's an example. Trump won the most populated county in SC (Greenville) with 60 percent of the vote (127,832 votes).

In Gwinett County, one of the north atlanta suburban areas, Trump won 146,989 votes but lost the county with 45 percent of the vote. So he won close to 20,000 more votes in Gwinett than the most populated county in SC that is considered one of the most conservative in the country.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-14-2018 at 09:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies