Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:41 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
But they believe God is the deciding factor above what all others might think,while this may seem strange to you and I to force them against their belief would be unlibertarian wouldn't it?
Yeah, well, Libertarians believe that we should let people do what they want as long as it causes no harm to others. In this case, it did. It really wouldn't matter to me if it was like a spouse or the person themselves, but we're talking about children here. Children are innocent victims because even if they oppose what their parents do, they have no say in the matter anyway. That just isn't right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
What about life support for a person under 18?,should government have more decision over parents as to keep them on life support on the possibility they may recover no matter how small of chance.....or even no chance?
I don't believe the government should have the right to make decisions for anybody. I just think some beliefs need to be thrown out the window when we're dealing with innocent children. The decisions of the parents can be fatal, yet, the child has no say in it. That is wrong.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:47 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I don't believe the government should have the right to make decisions for anybody. I just think some beliefs need to be thrown out the window when we're dealing with innocent children. The decisions of the parents can be fatal, yet, the child has no say in it. That is wrong.
You are 17(I assume),you seem pretty well self minded to me yet under the law you still are considered a minor.There are some cultures that consider you a adult at 16.Maybe the law should be considered more on a individual basis?

Old 03-28-2008, 12:50 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Once again god had a chance to perform a miracle, but decided against it. It's an old story.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:53 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,299 times
Anything taken too far can be harmful. Believing that prayer can cure a disease is, franlky, rediculous and these parents now have to live with that decision. Being an athiest, I view things from that standpoint but really, what were they thinking!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Once again god had a chance to perform a miracle, but decided against it. It's an old story.
You are assuming God see's a miracle the same way you do perhaps?

1,725 posts, read 3,115,379 times
When do we stop the government from interfering in our lives? These people had to have known about the treatments available, it is their right to raise their child. Some parents are opposed to vaccinations...their children may contract ones of these illnesses and die. Should they go to jail for manslaughter too? Freedom is being free to make decisions on how to raise your children and run your family. I find this abhorrent...but I'm sure they saw it as a difficult decision to make; choosing between faith and their child.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
You are 17(I assume),you seem pretty well self minded to me yet under the law you still are considered a minor.There are some cultures that consider you a adult at 16.Maybe the law should be considered more on a individual basis?
I personally think the legal age for many things should be lowered. Not everything, but somethings. I also think there are many children and teens who can and do make smart decisions in their lives. The media is too stuck up describing children using stereotypes from the OC and whatnot. Adult doesn't automatically equal responsible. I feel like age is the wrong way to measure many things. Living longer than someone doesn't mean you know more than them. Some adults think their age makes them superior to teens. Why? Because they can own property and vehicles in their name? Because they have a voting right? Because they can drink or smoke? Get real. Many young people are capable of making the right decisions for themselves. If my parents ever denied me medicine because of religious beliefs, I would literally make sure they "go" with me.

By the way, I think 16 is a good age to be considered a legal adult.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
what were they thinking!!!!

that is the very heart of the debate.We all have moments when we wonder what someone was thinking,the question is when is it alright to impose will on others beliefs?The very cornerstone philosophy of our Constitution and Declaration.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
When do we stop the government from interfering in our lives? These people had to have known about the treatments available, it is their right to raise their child. Some parents are opposed to vaccinations...their children may contract ones of these illnesses and die. Should they go to jail for manslaughter too? Freedom is being free to make decisions on how to raise your children and run your family. I find this abhorrent...but I'm sure they saw it as a difficult decision to make; choosing between faith and their child.
You should be free to believe what you want, but when is it right to tamper with the lives of children? They are not legally allowed to make the decision themselves, so they basically put their lives in the hands of their parents. Everybody know that decisions like these can be fatal, so why put your children's lives on the line? Sure, that's being true to your faith, but it is also careless, self-serving, and stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies