Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 11:55 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times

Advertisements

Didn't Playboy Magazine try a variation of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 11:58 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I never thought it was much of a competition anyway. I never saw the point. Every thing was practiced over and over, canned, rehearsed. It has nothing to do with reality of the American woman.
It never did. I did watch them as a little girl but quickly lost interest.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:06 PM

16,604 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Miss America is scrapping its swimsuit competition, will no longer judge based on physical appearance

"We are no longer a pageant," Gretchen Carlson, the first former Miss America to be named chair of the Board of Trustees of the Miss America Organization, said on "GMA." "We are a competition."

In place of the swimsuit portion of the competition, Miss America contestants will now take part in a live interactive session with the judges, according to the organization.

"We’ve heard from a lot of young women who say, ‘We’d love to be a part of your program but we don’t want to be out there in high heels and a swimsuit,’ so guess what, you don’t have to do that anymore," Carlson said. "Who doesn’t want to be empowered, learn leadership skills and pay for college and be able to show the world who you are as a person from the inside of your soul."

She continued, "That’s what we’re judging them on now."

Based on where American culture is right now, this is not surprising.

And the interactive session will be a contest to see who can best articulate elite liberal talking points. I know that's not specified, but I thought I would fill that in as well.
This should be the final nail in the coffin of what was once a great American pastime/show.

Here is a news flash for the pageant powers that be. You are drinking poison which will guarntee your demise in short order.

On the part I put in bold, the pageant (or whatever they now want to call it) is not there for the likes/wants of the contestants.
Instead it's audience has been made up of predominately men, wanting to see beautiful women. I know that much of the pageant was ignored, expect for the swimsuit portion. So if they remove that male audience draw, what will sustain them?
Do they really think they can survive based on women watching to see what other women think in contrived talking points or twirl a baton?
There are only so many times you can listen to the contestants say they want to feed the hungry and world peace.

`

Old 06-05-2018, 12:09 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
This should be the final nail in the coffin of what was once a great American pastime/show.

Here is a news flash for the pageant powers that be. You are drinking poison which will guarntee your demise in short order.

On the part I put in bold, the pageant (or whatever they now want to call it) is not there for the likes/wants of the contestants.
Instead it's audience has been made up of predominately men, wanting to see beautiful women. I know that much of the pageant was ignored, expect for the swimsuit portion. So if they remove that male audience draw, what will sustain them?
Do they really think they can survive based on women watching to see what other women think in contrived talking points or twirl a baton?
There are only so many times you can listen to the contestants say they want to feed the hungry and world peace.

`
When was Miss America considered a "great American show"? Like, what year was that exactly? Just curious. I've never heard of families gathering 'round ye olde television box to watch this.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:13 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,617,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Didn't Playboy Magazine try a variation of this?
You mean, showing women only fully dressed in casual or business suits, discussing serious subjects? When was that?

If it happened, then men can finally keep one of their promises: When they say they buy Playboy only to read the articles.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:18 PM

482 posts, read 242,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Sounds like the perfect dog, actually. Is your wife and/or mother like that?
Nah, my wife is a total ball-buster. She's all like educated and stuff. If that stepford wife thing was legit, I would have her fixed in the blink of an eye.

For her own good, of course.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
My guess is that's the only way he can get a woman, is to buy one. Not surprising, given that he views them as little more than chattel, there to serve him and never dare to open her mouth or voice an opinion. That's a good little wifey to spider.
I'm actually pretty charming in real life when I want to be. My mother says that I'm quite handsome too.

I've never had an issue crushing P. I was a good looking jock type in HS and just grew into the adult version of that..... (shrugs shoulders)

Old 06-05-2018, 12:40 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
I'
I've never had an issue crushing P. I was a good looking jock type in HS and just grew into the adult version of that..... (shrugs shoulders)
We're all very, very impressed.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:52 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
I'm actually pretty charming in real life when I want to be. My mother says that I'm quite handsome too.

Oh, well, if Mommy says you are handsome, who are we to argue with Mommy?

Old 06-05-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Oh, well, if Mommy says you are handsome, who are we to argue with Mommy?
I know, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies