Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2018, 05:28 PM

18,941 posts, read 8,571,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
And what about the others who have to pick up the tab? Are THEIR interests even considered at all? Do you have NO shame in charging others for what you or your wife get? Or do you think you're somehow "worth it" so others just have to shut up and pay?
There is no shame here. Also apparently no empathy or compassion. I'm done with you here, and will not respond to any more of your posts on this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 08:05 PM

1,094 posts, read 502,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Exactly.

Where is it written that young people are never victims of a catastrophic illness or accident?......struck down well before they have had a chance to accumulate enough savings to cover a major illness.
Yes so true. This is about 100 per cent what happened to a promising grad student mentioned in our patch, did all the right things that the Ayn Rand and Koch Brothers worshippers like to go on-and-on about, worked hard, studied high paying field, saved money, stayed out of debt, followed the law, stayed healthy and ate well. And yet was badly injured by an accident caused by a DUI driver who was broke. Hundreds of thousands in medical bills ruined the poor guy financially, how was he supposed to "save up for" something like that when he was just starting his career, and then on top of that deal with the sky high costs of US health care that would have cost him much less in say, France, Germany or Italy for same and often better care?

That's why I no longer have any creedence for these extreme libertarians who claim to kiss the ground Ayn Rand was walking in, either they're too dumb and close-minded to realize that even very responsible and capable people suffer terrible circumstances beyond their control even with the best preparations. Like the smart grad student in this case, who's probably taking his knowledge and job-creation to Europe after the way his county's healthcare system has treated him. Or a friend of mine who got rheumatoid arthritis despite perfect health habits and a lot saved up. Either that, or they're hypocrites who don't in reality care even if someone does do all the things their supposed to do, in their narrow minds, but instead just worship the rich and people born into rich families who can openly mess up but still get rewarded and let off the hook. An incredible number of Americans in this second group, it's like they want go back to an even nastier kind of feudalism than the on in history, make everyone who isn't born rich into slaves. Really nasty people, the Koch Brothers seem to be like this and because of the stupid decisions of our Supreme Court on campaign-finance, these crooks almost have the power to buy our government.

Last edited by Corascant; 06-13-2018 at 08:37 PM..

Old 06-13-2018, 08:36 PM

1,094 posts, read 502,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Just checking here. Let's assume it's Cancer, not Arthritis.

Did YOU (personally) save Millions of Dollars, just in case you get cancer?

And by the way, are you in favor of people having to save all that money and NOT SPEND IT, 'just in case'. Are you ready to back your plan ("save just in case") with the reality of an economic slow-down caused if all American's were forced to save an extra million dollars in addition to their retirement funding, instead of spending it, and creating JOBS?

What about the people who work blue collar jobs (like much of Trump's base), are they just SOL? Are you really turning your back on the MAJORITY of Americans?

But please do answer the question: Do you have enough money saved in case you need $1million+ medical attention, and if everyone else in your family needs it to. Because it COULD BE YOU who gets sick, then gets laid off, and then needs to save to cover yourself.
Funny that this challenge illicits crickets from InformedConsent and the Ayn Rand extreme libertarians like him. Your reasoning does a good job showing all the contradictions in the things they keep spouting about how the free market takes care of everything, how the capital-hordeing "job creators" are supposed to be so benevolent and treat people fairly, how everything works out for those who behave responsibly and all others are losers. Oh, but what if this "responsible" bheavior taken to extremes messes up the market economy and hurts Trump voters? Suddenly the Ayn Rand worshippers have no answer

Old 06-14-2018, 06:01 AM

89,511 posts, read 45,198,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Because as a society, we are responsible.
I'd buy that if WE pay. But 45% of US 1040 filers pay NO federal income tax whatsoever. So there goes that argument.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
There is no shame here. Also apparently no empathy or compassion.
Empathy, compassion, and monetary support can be VOLUNTARILY contributed to your cause. If you don't warrant such, that's on you.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:05 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,935,729 times
I am not a republican or democrat

I have voted for both

I voted and support trump

I DO NOT SUPPORT THIS...AT ALL

Old 06-14-2018, 06:09 AM

I find it extremely hypocritical that the same group that supports feticide (abortion) also demands that OTHERS pay for the cost of artificially prolonging individuals' lives.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:32 AM

20,049 posts, read 9,581,135 times
Quote:
There is no shame here. Also apparently no empathy or compassion. I'm done with you here, and will not respond to any more of your posts on this topic.
Well, some people -- NOT you, and I think you know what I mean -- are just too obtuse and/or too sheltered to know or even want to understand someone else's viewpoint and who are apparently incapable of compassion. Instead of compassion, they offer condemnation.

I would feel sorry for such people, except that their self-righteousness makes it even harder for other people to endure their troubles.

(And, no, I do not believe in unconditional handouts for the majority of people whose misfortunes were caused entirely by their own poor choices, but for MANY people, poor choices had nothing to do with their current troubles.)

Old 06-14-2018, 11:07 AM

18,941 posts, read 8,571,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Well, some people -- NOT you, and I think you know what I mean -- are just too obtuse and/or too sheltered to know or even want to understand someone else's viewpoint and who are apparently incapable of compassion. Instead of compassion, they offer condemnation.

I would feel sorry for such people, except that their self-righteousness makes it even harder for other people to endure their troubles.

(And, no, I do not believe in unconditional handouts for the majority of people whose misfortunes were caused entirely by their own poor choices, but for MANY people, poor choices had nothing to do with their current troubles.)
Providing for the HC needs of our people is a very complex and expensive undertaking. We have so many different groups with different HC needs and risks. Along with rapidly changing medical technologies, plus medical and general inflation, making it even more difficult to adapt with HC policy.

The solution to the above is all very easy from the point of view of a devout Libertarian.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Providing for the HC needs of our people is a very complex and expensive undertaking. We have so many different groups with different HC needs and risks. Along with rapidly changing medical technologies, plus medical and general inflation, making it even more difficult to adapt with HC policy.

The solution to the above is all very easy from the point of view of a devout Libertarian.
Tax everyone equally to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies