Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2018, 08:34 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,870,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They're just part of the problem. Many liberals believe killing a fetus because it's inconvenient is A-OK but killing a very costly-to-treat ill person who is going to die anyway, isn't. What kind of sense does that make? /SMH
The last time I checked, many of those who lean Left support legalized Euthanasia, in addition to socialized healthcare for illnesses.

From what I've witnessed, it is those on the far right that oppose euthanasia due to religious beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 08:58 AM

18,823 posts, read 8,484,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Everyone should be covered. Period. There should be no shopping for insurance.
I agree that we need to go towards more universal coverage, but not single payer. We should still want choice. Choice with patients and their plans, as well as docs and other HC providers with their choice on what plans they want to participate with and what patients they want to take on.

You will see great push back from docs on single payer. Because that means an easily compressed central vise squeezing out their incomes and reducing their practice independence moving forward. If we don't keep the docs happy enough they will buck.

The best and brightest will go more often elsewhere in careers, and the delivery of HC will become more assembly line. Less convenient, less caring.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
No one gets out of here alive.

Death is a 'pre-existing condition' I wonder how those poor old life insurance companies manage to 'stay alive' or even make a buck.
Commissions and investing their collections.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:00 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I agree that we need to go towards more universal coverage, but not single payer. We should still want choice. Choice with patients and their plans, as well as docs and other HC providers with their choice on what plans they want to participate with and what patients they want to take on.

You will see great push back from docs on single payer. Because that means an easily compressed central vise squeezing out their incomes and reducing their practice independence moving forward. If we don't keep the docs happy enough they will buck.

The best and brightest will go more often elsewhere in careers, and the delivery of HC will become more assembly line. Less convenient, less caring.
Doctors are not all going to decide to be accountants. Germany has doctors. England has doctors. Canada has doctors. If our system is so much better, why do they all not simply come here?

Old 06-15-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

Thanks to the guy now in the WH, premiums increased exponentially from last year to this.
Not everywhere. For what ever reason, my wife's premium stayed almost the same around $950/mo.

Starting later in July we have to move 200 miles to MD Anderson for 6 months for her allo stem cell transplant. Easily another $M. Plus I have to place my medical practice on hold. I can't imagine the stress on families without the means.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Doctors are not all going to decide to be accountants. Germany has doctors. England has doctors. Canada has doctors. If our system is so much better, why do they all not simply come here?
Where did I say our system is better?

Many good and top students are already not opting for medicine. The difference with docs is the time and effort and cost to become one. A very long and expensive undertaking. Many years post-college with no salary. These days, few new docs are going into private practice. Instead they are employed by local hospitals. Just like single payer they are submitting to the powers that be, with income and independence. I see and hear doc dissatisfaction at our well run hospital every day. The day of the single doc looking after the bulk of his patients medical conditions in and out of the hospital 24/7 is gone. Now most every patient has an expensive series of docs/consultants. Along with a hospitalist if inpatient. And none of these docs knows all about their patient like the primary.

Of course docs will not starve by any means, but it is all going in the wrong direction for docs. And actually not too dissimilar from the slope of more broad middle class wages. More and more NP's and PA's will be coming in at lower wages. But we don't know if lower overall cost, and we don't know about relative outcomes and quality.

I would suspect that at some point that med students education and training will be funded. Either centrally, by hospital or communities.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:41 AM

4,559 posts, read 1,439,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
And SOMEHOW Trump supporters will back this.
Somehow? Uh. The insurance company's, creditors, Monsanto its, agribusi esses, and murderous dictators back him.

That is his base. It is scary that there are enough of these carpetbaggers to edge an election to keep such thieves in office.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Where did I say our system is better?

Many good and top students are already not opting for medicine.
As has always been the case or we would not have Engineer's and Scientists.

Quote:
The difference with docs is the time and effort and cost to become one. A very long and expensive undertaking. Many years post-college with no salary. These days, few new docs are going into private practice. Instead they are employed by local hospitals. Just like single payer they are submitting to the powers that be, with income and independence. I see and hear doc dissatisfaction at our well run hospital every day. The day of the single doc looking after the bulk of his patients medical conditions in and out of the hospital 24/7 is gone. Now most every patient has an expensive series of docs/consultants. Along with a hospitalist if inpatient. And none of these docs knows all about their patient like the primary.
I'm all for addressing the high costs of becoming a doctor also. It all needs addressed.

Quote:
Of course docs will not starve by any means, but it is all going in the wrong direction for docs. And actually not too dissimilar from the slope of more broad middle class wages. More and more NP's and PA's will be coming in at lower wages. But we don't know if lower overall cost, and we don't know about relative outcomes and quality.

I would suspect that at some point that med students education and training will be funded. Either centrally, by hospital or communities.
Let's go for it.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
The last time I checked, many of those who lean Left support legalized Euthanasia, in addition to socialized healthcare for illnesses.

From what I've witnessed, it is those on the far right that oppose euthanasia due to religious beliefs.
Most libertarians (that I know) are pretty a-religious. Libertarians are far right and fine with euthanasia.

Quote:
Germany does not have single payer, but they do have UHC.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

Germany does not have single payer, but they do have UHC.
I am not a stickler for how we do it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies