Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2018, 12:24 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Balance. Sensible greed/profit/rent seeking, not over bearing.
Sensible greed is like I said. Wanting things is not wrong. Greed is where you don't understand why it's good for others to have things also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 12:39 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
One benefit unions have fought for is widespread employer-based health coverage.

One of the great things about unions is that they raise the bar for everyone.
Oh, wow. No. They actually destroy work ethic. Look at what they did to Detroit. Look at the grossly inefficient federal and state bureaucracies with their overly bloated staffs. Look at our public schools; they educate only 1/3 of our country's 12th graders enough to meet grade level standards.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:05 PM

34,070 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
And healthcare should have nothing to do with insurance.

Insurance is a product. Healthcare is a right.

Single Payer Now

If you wish to individually pay for everyone, that would be acceptable.

When will you start paying for all, since this was your idea?

Old 06-10-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
One benefit unions have fought for is widespread employer-based health coverage.

One of the great things about unions is that they raise the bar for everyone. Lot of employers began offering health insurance as a benefit.

They didn't do this out of the goodness of their hearts, you can bet on that.
Wrong. Democrats imposed a wage freeze during WWII. Employers could not attract enough labor, as pre automation, labor was needed on a massive scale. So employers added Employer Paid Health Insurance voluntarily. Before fancy life saving cures for things like severely high blood pressure leading to fatal heart attacks, this was a cheap benefit, but still it gave them a perk to offer in lieu of raising wages.

It was done at union and non union employers, on a large scale. Voluntarily. For sound business reasons.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:14 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Oh, wow. No. They actually destroy work ethic. Look at what they did to Detroit. Look at the grossly inefficient federal and state bureaucracies with their overly bloated staffs. Look at our public schools; they educate only 1/3 of our country's 12th graders enough to meet grade level standards.
This is BS.

Some of the hardest working people I know are union ironworkers, electricians, ...

Detroit went downhill because people wanted a different kind of vehicle than American manufacturers decided to make. The Japanese were making fuel efficient cars that didn't need to be Fixed Or Repaired Daily. That's what people wanted and that's what they bought. Japanese auto workers are unionized and their cars were selling just fine.

A good portion of teachers are not union. In fact, the lowest performing students are in non-union states. So hard to put this on the unions.

I've worked union and I've worked non-union. I'd pick union any day. Co-workers are better trained. Safety conditions are better. Pay is better.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:

The Japanese were making fuel efficient cars that didn't need to be Fixed Or Repaired Daily. .
because they did not employ riff raff protected by the UAW. Nor did they suffer the uncompetitive labor rates (mainly Deluxe benes) the Dumb 3 suffered from.

I have toured Nissan, and witnessed the excellent work ethic of both their blue and white collar work force.

PS: Japanese auto workers at their US plants who make the transplant cars sold here are 100% UNION FREE.

MAGA

Old 06-10-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
because they did not employ riff raff protected by the UAW. Nor did they suffer the uncompetitive labor rates (mainly Deluxe benes) the Dumb 3 suffered from.

I have toured Nissan, and witnessed the excellent work ethic of both their blue and white collar work force.

PS: Japanese auto workers at their US plants who make the transplant cars sold here are 100% UNION FREE.

MAGA
Of course they are union free in the US. They can get away with that in the south. Thanks to the Republicans and their Robber Baron backers.

Now, I don't know about riff raff making cars in Detroit. I've never been there.

I live in the south and have traveled about a bit.

I can tell you for a fact that if the Japanese are hiring southern workers to make cars in the south, then they have riff raff on staff.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:52 PM

Enough nasty lies about unions, back to pre-existing conditions.

How long do folks think it will take before the individual health insurance is a thing of the past? That if you don't get your health insurance through your employer or the government, you just don't' get it.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:52 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
This is BS.
No, it isn't. EVERYONE complains about our country's horrible public schools and government bureaucracies. The DMVs in every state are a running joke. Unions aid and abet slackers. It's nearly impossible to fire a union member employee so there's ZERO incentive whatsoever for them to actually do a good job. They get paid the same, regardless.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Of course they are union free in the US. .
and most years, the full time RTW Transplant auto staff earn more than the D3, but it is profit sharing that makes the big difference, and having a wonderful workforce w/o interference from the UAW.

RTW states are not going to repeat the mistakes the Dumb 3 made regarding labor.

And the workforce has wisely resisted the UAW for decades now in the Southeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies