Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2018, 09:15 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,707,499 times

Advertisements

This article nicely outlines the domino effect that will occur when Republicans end coverage of pre-existing conditions and price controls on other people.

1. "...it would mean a return to the pre-ACA days, where, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation, 18 percent of people were denied insurance in the individual market because of a pre-existing condition. (Kaiser noted that this estimate was low, because “many people with health conditions did not apply because they knew or were informed by an agent that they would not be accepted.”)"

2. "...would also mean that insurers could charge older patients much higher premiums, both in the individual market and for employees of small businesses."

3. "if an employee with a pre-existing condition did not have insurance before joining the company plan, Levitt added, the company plan could refuse to cover treatment for their particular pre-existing condition — a practice banned by the ACA."

The Domino Effect Of The Trump Admin Gutting Pre-Existing Conditions Protections
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/the...ns-protections
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 09:26 AM

88,988 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Mandated driver liability is of course too low if you've ever been in a bad accident where a typical driver is at fault. Been there, done that.
Doesn't preclude civil suit for damages.

Quote:
I agree that HC isn't a natural right, but IMO a rich, advanced and caring nation should make it as close as sensibly possible.
Based on what? WHO pays? I'm already struggling with the fact that 45% of US 1040 filers pay no federal income tax whatsoever while I'm charged for the exact same access to the exact same federal services/benefits.

Quote:
We don't have to let things remain as they are. We the people can improve upon it. And IMO we will continue to move forward incrementally towards more universal care as we have been doing for the 40+ years I've been in medicine. IMO more of us care than don't.
On a voluntary contribution basis, I agree with you. By force under threat of asset seizure and imprisonment by the government? No way in hell. Not when SO many pay nothing.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:31 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,298,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Is there any particular reason such an individual didn't save/invest for such an occurrence?

Just checking here. Let's assume it's Cancer, not Arthritis.

Did YOU (personally) save Millions of Dollars, just in case you get cancer?

And by the way, are you in favor of people having to save all that money and NOT SPEND IT, 'just in case'. Are you ready to back your plan ("save just in case") with the reality of an economic slow-down caused if all American's were forced to save an extra million dollars in addition to their retirement funding, instead of spending it, and creating JOBS?

What about the people who work blue collar jobs (like much of Trump's base), are they just SOL? Are you really turning your back on the MAJORITY of Americans?

But please do answer the question: Do you have enough money saved in case you need $1million+ medical attention, and if everyone else in your family needs it to. Because it COULD BE YOU who gets sick, then gets laid off, and then needs to save to cover yourself.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:35 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,298,752 times
Quote:
Why isn't the DUI driver paying?
Because they are probably unable to pay. They are probably as hypocritical as the person who sits back and says "why didn't they save for it". In this case, they ARE that person.

I don't know you, so I can't say for certain, but I would bet anything you can't afford medical care for everyone in your family that you take care of, without having insurance or other assistance. And I'm fairly confident that you would not be able to afford insurance at all if it were not subsidized for you, in some regard.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:38 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,441,745 times
Quote:
Based on what? WHO pays? I'm already struggling with the fact that 45% of US 1040 filers pay no federal income tax whatsoever while I'm charged for the exact same access to the exact same federal services/benefits.
Who is paying now when poor people show up in the emergency room with untreated conditions and no plans to pay the hospital?

Old 06-13-2018, 09:47 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,707,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Who is paying now when poor people show up in the emergency room with untreated conditions and no plans to pay the hospital?
Us.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Just checking here. Let's assume it's Cancer, not Arthritis.

Did YOU (personally) save Millions of Dollars, just in case you get cancer?
If I have cancer that is that costly, implying that horrendous, to treat, I wouldn't choose the "spare no expense" option.

Quote:
And by the way, are you in favor of people having to save all that money and NOT SPEND IT, 'just in case'.
They can invest it. Such assets are easily liquified.

It's NOT an all or nothing thing, as some of you seem to be implying. That's EXACTLY why surgeons won't do prostate removal surgery on 90 year old men with prostate cancer. And exactly WHY there's a ranked list for organ donor recipients.

Get a grip, people. We can't fix everything for everyone.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
No one should be paying for that. Employ triage. If it's not an imminently life-threatening emergency, turn them away and/or refer them elsewhere, a charity clinic for example. No more ER for "sniffles."

Old 06-13-2018, 10:25 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,478,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
And SOMEHOW Trump supporters will back this.
Of course they will, even the ones with pre-existing conditions. These people are nuts!

Old 06-13-2018, 10:32 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,466,915 times
Quote:
Doesn't preclude civil suit for damages.
Most people trying to kill you with their car don't have the assets to make a civil suit useful.

Quote:
Premiums, copays, taxes and new money creation. National health should be a prime concern. Of course in 100 years our national debt will be much higher. And life will go on.
Quote:
On a voluntary contribution basis, I agree with you. By force under threat of asset seizure and imprisonment by the government? No way in hell. Not when SO many pay nothing.
Ah, the fairness issue again. I appreciate that. If you can't pay, we should still be able to find the money, as above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies