Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 07:49 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Okay... I guess Washington is fine with it. I do not live in Washington, so I am not "embarrassed" for not knowing their laws (or actually caring about their laws, really).

I still think he wanted to shoot someone, so he did. Lots of gun owners are actually people who want to be free to kill others and are looking for the opportunity. That's why they walk around armed to the teeth.
You are making assumptions that I don't think are correct or mentioned in the story but I agree the cops will investigate to determine the shooting was reasonable under the circumstances. Keep in mind that prosecutors would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that his action was not reasonable....gonna be hard to prove that given the guy shot was shooting multiple people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 07:49 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
If you truly believe this then you are paranoid and you should seek professional help.
Seconded.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:50 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,591 times
Quote:
Okay... I guess Washington is fine with it. I do not live in Washington, so I am not "embarrassed" for not knowing their laws (or actually caring about their laws, really).

I still think he wanted to shoot someone, so he did. Lots of gun owners are actually people who want to be free to kill others and are looking for the opportunity. That's why they walk around armed to the teeth.
I can put 100$ that it's the same in your state (if you live in USA).

The crime rate among CCW holders is less than that of peace officers.
Stop painting us, law abiding citizens, as rabid dogs.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/8255/...-aaron-bandler
A newly-released report suggests that concealed carry permit holders are the most law-abiding citizens in the U.S.

The report, written by Crime Prevention Research Center president John Lott, notes that it is "very rare for permit holders to violate the law" and compares the crimes committed by permit holders to police officers and the general population. The police committed 103 crimes per 100,000 officers, while the general population committed 3,813 per 100,000 people, 37 times as much as the police crime rate.

And yet, the same metric shows an even lower crime rate for permit holders.

"Combining the data for Florida and Texas data, we find that permit holders are convicted of misdemeanors and felonies at less than a sixth the rate for police officers," Lott writes. "Among police, firearms violations occur at a rate of 16.5 per 100,000 officers. Among permit holders in Florida and Texas, the rate is only 2.4 per 100,000.10 That is just 1/7th of the rate for police officers. But there's no need to focus on Texas and Florida — the data are similar in other states."

Old 06-18-2018, 07:50 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Crazy, crazy logic. Like Walmart has anything to do with this discussion. I have to wonder what is driving it, because you are normally so logical on so many other issues.
I don't care for the "good guy with a gun" trope that gets thrown out on here so often.

Devil's advocate.

I really don't mind if someone shoots a person if they truly feel they and others are in imminent, serious danger.

I just know this scenario is the exception, not the rule, and it can be argued that civilians should not be gunning down other civilians in public spaces, no matter the situation.

This story could have had a very different ending if the "good Samaritan" had accidentally hit and killed an innocent bystander while trying to shoot a criminal.

But, we just skip right over that in these sorts of discussions and it becomes more of a "yee haw" sort of praise circle over this kind of random shooting and I find it concerning, because I don't want parking lot shootouts to become the norm.

Innocent people will get killed at a higher rate than they already do during commissions of crimes.

I do not believe it actually saves more people than it harms.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
you really think this?
For some gun owners, yes. I absolutely do.

I sure hope I'm right in assuming it's not true of most of them, but I have known some nut jobs who owned guns.

And, no, I am not anti gun.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:53 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times
Quote:
I don't care for the "good guy with a gun" trope that gets thrown out on here so often.

Devil's advocate.

I really don't mind if someone shoots a person if they truly feel they and others are in imminent, serious danger.

I just know this scenario is the exception, not the rule, and it can be argued that civilians should not be gunning down other civilians in public spaces, no matter the situation.

This story could have had a very different ending if the "good Samaritan" had accidentally hit and killed an innocent bystander while trying to shoot a criminal.

But, we just skip right over that in these sorts of discussions and it becomes more of a "yee haw" sort of praise circle over this kind of random shooting and I find it concerning, because I don't want parking lot shootouts to become the norm.

Innocent people will get killed at a higher rate than they already do during commissions of crimes.

My gosh. This is hardly a "random shooting".

This is a good guy who very possibly saved some innocent lives.

If you could only hear yourself. What happened to you in the past to make you lose all sensibility on this subject?

Old 06-18-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Lots of website forum moderators are actually people who want to be free to kill others and are looking for the opportunity.

I mean, if we are just going to make up unjustified non-sense, I thought I'd join in.
What does moderating forums have to do with shooting and killing people? I mean, I guess I could bash people over the head with my keyboard?

LOL.

How ridiculous.

If you do own guns and know folks who own guns, I am amazed you've never met more than a few who were itching to shoot someone. Even if it was just to be this fabled "good guy with a gun."

Old 06-18-2018, 07:54 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:

Devil's advocate.

As a way to stop the guy who was actively and intentionally trying to shoot and kill innocent bystanders? You are not making ANY sense.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:55 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,591 times
Quote:

Devil's advocate.

So you prefer that criminals will kill unarmed people like in Brazil or Mexico?

Old 06-18-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
If you truly believe this then you are paranoid and you should seek professional help.
I'm not paranoid at all. I don't walk around armed 24/7.

I just don't have this sunny outlook that I see so often on this forum about "good guys" with guns.

I mean, why do others have entirely too much faith in their fellow citizens not to become "bad guys" with guns at some point?

Surely you have met a person who did something bad when you never thought they would.

The news is always full of people who are saying "He was so quiet... always nice to the neighbors... took out the trash for his landlord... played in the yard with the kids..." about shooters, are they not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies