Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Believe That Women Gaining The Right To Vote Brought Us Today's Welfare State?
Yes 23 20.91%
No 87 79.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 11:40 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do not have to rely on fake news, especially outdated. I can judge from the people I know. Are you really saying conservatives are ignorant and yet preaching women's right to vote created welfare? Give it up for heavens sake.
The OP isn't saying conservatives are ignorant, however, the OP is an ignorant conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 12:29 PM

776 posts, read 393,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, until the parties effectively switched platforms...
While the parties have switched in some regards, the Republicans never supported a welfare state.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:35 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
people can, even now hols down more one and get an education. My granddaughter was raising a child, had a husband, worked full time as a nurse and managed to get a degree in nursing, a BS btw. She also, after finishing getting her DS she continued working full time, by then had 2 little ones and got her nurse practitioners degree. It can be done. anyone holding down 3 jobs is not working full time at any of them most likely.
That was my life from 17 throughout college (my mother disowned me for not wanting to get a boob job, so I was completely on my own), minus the kid, and plus a part time job or two (in addition to the full time one).

I survived and graduated with my two BS degrees, but just barely. It's a miracle that I actually graduated and never got fired from any of my jobs, because I was running on caffeine pills and ramen blocks, 5'10 and down to 105 lbs, and overall unhealthy to the point of a doctor actually shouting at me that I was killing myself with my lifestyle.

I'm just not as strong as your granddaughter, and neither are plenty of people.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:56 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
It's all Women's fault...and Obama's (Roll's eyes).

Old 06-30-2018, 01:11 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
It's all Women's fault...and Obama's (Roll's eyes).
And Hillary's!

Old 06-30-2018, 02:45 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
LBJ gave us the welfare state. Anyone who thinks Trump is rude and crude should read an LBJ biography. Trump doesn't conduct meetings while sitting on the toilet.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:04 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
Marxism did, everything after that is just a compromise.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:34 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times
Quote:
I do not have to rely on fake news, especially outdated. I can judge from the people I know. Are you really saying conservatives are ignorant and yet preaching women's right to vote created welfare? Give it up for heavens sake.
Consistent with standard models of electoral competition (Duverger 1954; Downs 1957; Shepsle 1991), politicians responded immediately to shifts in electoral preferences as voting rights were extended to women.3 Within a year of suffrage law enactment, patterns of legislative roll call voting shifted, and local public health spending rose by roughly 35%. These findings are consistent with historical accounts: describing the Sheppard-Towner Act of 1921 (a landmark federal public health appropriation immediately following the 19th Amendment in 1920), Richard Meckel (1990) observes that “fear of being punished at the polls by American women, not conviction of the bill’s necessity, seems to have motivated Congress to vote for it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3046394/

What do we need news for? Theres data that suggest RIGHT AFTER WOMEN gained the right to vote, public spending went up 35% !!!!

Right after women gained the right to vote "the Sheppard-Towner Act of 1921 " was passed - Promotion of the Welfare and Hygiene of Maternity and Infancy Act

The data clearly shows that women played a active role in the last 100 years creating the welfare state and politicians give it to them for votes in return. The data shows it. Just because some "women" on here are offended, dont use welfare, or dont believe that women are a major cause, doesn't make it not true.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:40 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
You don't mention where you read it, but perhaps you should consider trying more reputable sources. That sounds like contrived hogwash.

Did you ever stop to consider how many things were happening stemming from that time? For that matter, there was a huge economic boom beginning right then. Maybe that burst of prosperity was due to women getting the vote.

Of course, one thing is true: With the expansion of women's rights, including the right to work, women were no longer so driven to marry, to leech off a man, to angle for the best financial offer, since they had a better chance of earning money themselves. Since you're apparently a man, that should please you.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:47 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
You don't mention where you read it, but perhaps you should consider trying more reputable sources. That sounds like contrived hogwash.

Did you ever stop to consider how many things were happening stemming from that time? For that matter, there was a huge economic boom beginning right then. Maybe that burst of prosperity was due to women getting the vote.

Of course, one thing is true: With the expansion of women's rights, including the right to work, women were no longer so driven to marry, to leech off a man, to angle for the best financial offer, since they had a better chance of earning money themselves. Since you're apparently a man, that should please you.
Did Women’s Suffrage Change the Size and Scope of Government?

Suffrage coincided with immediate increases in state govern- ment expenditures and revenue and more liberal voting patterns for federal representatives, and these effects continued growing over time as more women took advantage of the franchis

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~i.../LottKenny.pdf

I can keep going, the DATA and Research shows that women's voting patterns brought on todays welfare state. Show me your data or facts rather than OPINION.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies