Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 03:35 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times

Advertisements

Think about this. Republicans have been using abortion as a rallying cry for decades. They fundraise off it, they legislate off it, it is their goofsraba.

If abortion goes back to the states, eight states have already made it legal outside of Roe V. Wade. To find out where a specific state stands, a chart is available at the bottom of this link.

https://www.guttmacher.org/state-pol...cy-absence-roe

Now think about this further. Trump supporters get what they want, abortion illegal in red states and their dreams of a theocracy. Trump promised them abortion would go back to the states and they said the Supreme Court was their biggest driver. Let them have abortion.

After abortion is illegal in red states, and maybe they add some restrictions to businesses serving gays, the red states will set themselves up to being very unappealing to larger companies such as tech. Red states bleed from the eyes at the thought of a tech company moving there but their own draconian policies will keep them away.

Further, won't it be such a pleasure at not hearing about abortion from these people?

Won't it be a delight to see Republicans lose the abortion fundraiser motivation?

That alone is beautiful. Who are they going to scaremonger if they themselves control abortion in their states?

Let Republicans have abortion. I promise, it will hurt them more than help them.

As it is, Republicans control all aspects of American government. There is no one they can blame for anything.

Taking their big abortion motivator is like draining their gas tank.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:46 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Think about this. Republicans have been using abortion as a rallying cry for decades. They fundraise off it, they legislate off it, it is their goofsraba.

If abortion goes back to the states, eight states have already made it legal outside of Roe V. Wade. To find out where a specific state stands, a chart is available at the bottom of this link.

Now think about this further. Trump supporters get what they want, abortion illegal in red states and their dreams of a theocracy. Trump promised them abortion would go back to the states and they said the Supreme Court was their biggest driver. Let them have abortion.

After abortion is illegal in red states, and maybe they add some restrictions to businesses serving gays, the red states will set themselves up to being very unappealing to larger companies such as tech. Red states bleed from the eyes at the thought of a tech company moving there but their own draconian policies will keep them away.

Further, won't it be such a pleasure at not hearing about abortion from these people?

Won't it be a delight to see Republicans lose the abortion fundraiser motivation?

That alone is beautiful. Who are they going to scaremonger if they themselves control abortion in their states?

Let Republicans have abortion. I promise, it will hurt them more than help them.

As it is, Republicans control all aspects of American government. There is no one they can blame for anything.

Taking their big abortion motivator is like draining their gas tank.
I get what you are saying but living in a red state already sucks for those of us who don't support Trump and who don't fit in with the dominant religious culture. I would like nothing more than to move but I can't afford to right now.

I am interested to see though what happens with the religious right and the GOP after Roe is reversed. Abortion is primarily the reason many vote Republican and while there are other issues like gay marriage and getting prayer/Bible reading back into public schools that will drive religious voters, none of them quite have the "rally the troops" effect that abortion does.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:46 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Clueless. I want abortion to go to the states because I do not want the federal da guberment ruling on these issues. I am personally pro choice. Do you have any idea of the simple principle of state government over a federal tyranny of the majority?

Old 06-29-2018, 03:47 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
With Justice Kennedy gone, any state can outlaw abortion and when it gets to the Supreme Court, the ruling will be 4-4, so it won't be overturned.

Every red state around can outlaw abortion. Then people can make their own choice about whether they want to live in a place that respects a woman's right to make her own decisions about her own body or in a place where the state makes those decisions.

Companies can chose whether they want to do business in these states. Hard to imagine many progressive companies deciding to locate to such a state, but who knows.

With the push to move social safety net costs to the states, the red states can fund the programs to care for all these unwanted children.

Or perhaps they can convince folks to abstain from sex.

At the end of ten years, we can evaluate where things stand.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 06-29-2018 at 04:06 PM..

Old 06-29-2018, 03:51 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

In reality, that's what the entire thing is about. Evangelicals don't genuinely care about the fetuses being aborted. What they do care about is people having recreational sex out of wedlock. That's why they oppose birth control and sex ed as well, even though both are statistically shown to reduce the number of abortions. It isn't about the babies and never has been. It's about restoring the patriarchal social order that dominated our society prior to the sexual revolution.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:52 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I get what you are saying but living in a red state already sucks for those of us who don't support Trump and who don't fit in with the dominant religious culture. I would like nothing more than to move but I can't afford to right now.

I am interested to see though what happens with the religious right and the GOP after Roe is reversed. Abortion is primarily the reason many vote Republican and while there are other issues like gay marriage and getting prayer/Bible reading back into public schools that will drive religious voters, none of them quite have the "rally the troops" effect that abortion does.
Then why don't all these people who want to have money dumped into planned parent hood stop da guberment from dumping money into da guerment so that they can fund a private charity to help them do so in a legal state?

You know who prevents your freedom? Da guberment does because without the state it would be legal. So why keep turning to da gubement ?

Old 06-29-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I get what you are saying but living in a red state already sucks for those of us who don't support Trump and who don't fit in with the dominant religious culture. I would like nothing more to move but I can't afford to right now.

Democrats can't stop it anyway and Republicans are desperately determined to make abortion illegal everywhere they can. Why tie oneself in knots over it? And I completely agree, many Republicans are solely motivated by abortion. Take the wind out of their sails.

And there are positives to this!

1. Red states lose their appeal to large companies such as tech
2. Republicans lose their big funding driver
3. Republicans lose their big scary monster
4. Republicans lose anyone to blame
5. Democrats get to stop hearing about it

I think this is going to become like the dog that caught the car. Democrats need to let Republicans have this one and watch the result.

"Donald Trump promised during his presidential campaign that he would appoint anti-abortion judges to the Supreme Court and that Roe v. Wade would be overturned “automatically.”

As many have pointed out, the Supreme Court doesn’t actually work that way. But Trump’s presidency may be shaping abortion law around the country anyway. Perhaps emboldened by his judicial appointments, legislators are introducing new abortion bans that directly challenge the tenets of Roe."

https://www.vox.com/2018/3/22/171434...ppi-roe-v-wade

Old 06-29-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Clueless. I want abortion to go to the states because I do not want the federal da guberment ruling on these issues. I am personally pro choice. Do you have any idea of the simple principle of state government over a federal tyranny of the majority?
What state? Because several states have already passed laws making abortion illegal the moment Roe V. Wade is overturned.

Check the chart here to see the status of a state that has taken action:

Trump supporters may be surprised to find out how fast abortion becomes illegal in their state. I live in a blue state and my state has already addressed this, making abortion legal regardless of Roe V. Wade.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
With Justice Kennedy gone, any state can outlaw abortion and when it is taken to the Supreme Court, the ruling will be 4-4, so it won't be overturned.

Every red state around can outlaw abortion. Then people can make their own choice about whether they want to live in a place that respects a woman's right to make her own decisions about her own body or in a place where the state makes those decisions.

Companies can chose whether they want to do business in these states. Hard to imagine many progressive companies deciding to locate to such a state, but who knows.

With the push to move social safety net costs to the states, the red states can fund the programs to care for all these unwanted children.

At the end of ten years, we can evaluate where things stand.
This is EXACTLY my thought. Thank you. Why should I worry about the rights of people I don't agree with anyway. Let them make red states as evangelical as they want. Republicans have been fundraising off of abortion forever. Once red states have lost abortion, they can be glad or not. It's not our concern.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:58 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,812,050 times
It should be a state issue rather than the Fed Gov sticking it's nose in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies