Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 04:17 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,757,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
What makes you think that the wedge issue does not favor the democrats? Reproductive rights also drives dems to the polls.

The homosexual wedge issue marriage is going away is hurting the democrats . Gays are acting in their economic interests which is not being taxed or controlled by da guberment.
I don't understand the repeated phrase "da guberment". What does that mean exactly? Is it some poorly veiled insult based on the view of blacks by Trump supporters? What does it mean?

As for gays, which is not the topic of this thread by the way, gays should vote based on their own interests. If they think red states are going to protect their rights with the Republican Supreme Court, then they should support them. I wouldn't bet on that though, I would bet that the Supreme Court will rule that evangelicals should be protected and allowed to discriminate against gays because of "religious freedom". I think I'm safe on that bet too.

Abortion is a lost cause at this state. Trump got his evangelical support based on his promise that he would turn abortion back to the states. So it's done. We should just let it happen. It's red states that want abortion to be illegal and it's red states that will get abortion made illegal. This will have nothing to do with Democrats and Republicans will lose that fundraising motivator.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
True, that was the sole motivator for me changing from Dem to Repub.
So what is the next step? Washington state has already addressed this, making abortion legal in Washington regardless of Roe V. Wade. Is the next step to move to a red state? Because I don't see that as a bad thing either for Trump supporters.

https://www.guttmacher.org/state-pol...cy-absence-roe

States that have passed laws protecting abortion regardless of Roe V. Wade include:

California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Nevada and Washington state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The GOP and most of the Democratic Party are essentially just extensions of the Chamber of Commerce and Wall Street. The party apparatus is swimming in billions from these sources and they set policy. They are not going to do something that hurts big business. Maybe Oklahoma will do it, but that's about it.
Au contraire. The following states have laws in place waiting for the overturn of Roe V. Wade. Once overturned (and there are several cases winding through the courts that will give them that opportunity) the following states will make abortion illegal automatically:

Louisiana, Mississippi, North Dakota, South Dakota, Arkansas, Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri and Ohio.

Pretty much the states one would expect.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:39 PM

51,670 posts, read 25,927,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So what is the next step? Washington state has already addressed this, making abortion legal in Washington regardless of Roe V. Wade. Is the next step to move to a red state? Because I don't see that as a bad thing either for Trump supporters.

https://www.guttmacher.org/state-pol...cy-absence-roe

States that have passed laws protecting abortion regardless of Roe V. Wade include:

California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Nevada and Washington state.

Au contraire. The following states have laws in place waiting for the overturn of Roe V. Wade. Once overturned (and there are several cases winding through the courts that will give them that opportunity) the following states will make abortion illegal automatically:

Louisiana, Mississippi, North Dakota, South Dakota, Arkansas, Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri and Ohio.

Pretty much the states one would expect.
This thread is an eye opener for me.

So eight states have laws protecting women's right to make their own decisions about their own bodies.

Ten states have laws in place that as soon as Roe V. Wade is overturned will automatically put the state in charge of women's bodies.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:41 PM

34,136 posts, read 17,199,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
It should be a state issue rather than the Fed Gov sticking it's nose in.

amen

Old 06-29-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
amen
Shocking that we agree on something.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:49 PM

20,736 posts, read 19,414,123 times
Quote:
I don't understand the repeated phrase "da guberment". What does that mean exactly? Is it some poorly veiled insult based on the view of blacks by Trump supporters? What does it mean?
You don't know what is meant by da guberment. How about der guburberament?

Quote:
As for gays, which is not the topic of this thread by the way, gays should vote based on their own interests.
So heterosexual should vote for their interest then and overwhelm the pitifully tiny vote of the homosexual with a tyrannical majority? That's so smart.

Quote:
If they think red states are going to protect their rights with the Republican Supreme Court, then they should support them. I wouldn't bet on that though, I would bet that the Supreme Court will rule that evangelicals should be protected and allowed to discriminate against gays because of "religious freedom". I think I'm safe on that bet too.
What are you smoking? No matter how many times its proven that Trumps base is populist you still have this deranged idea that the US is an evangelical swarm. The country is ever more secular. I think the end timers being wrong all the time might have something to do with it.

Quote:
Abortion is a lost cause at this state. Trump got his evangelical support based on his promise that he would turn abortion back to the states. So it's done. We should just let it happen. It's red states that want abortion to be illegal and it's red states that will get abortion made illegal. This will have nothing to do with Democrats and Republicans will lose that fundraising motivator.

I want most things turned back to the states and I am pro choice. But then you love da gunerment.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
It should be a state issue rather than the Fed Gov sticking it's nose in.
Amen again.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This thread is an eye opener for me.

So eight states have laws protecting women's right to make their own decisions about their own bodies.

Ten states have laws in place that as soon as Roe V. Wade is overturned will automatically put the state in charge of women's bodies.
Yep. When I saw that my state had already addressed this, I felt better. When I saw the list of states that will automatically make abortion illegal with the overturning of Roe V. Wade, it was exactly the ones we would expect. This is going exactly as it should. The people in the south that want to make abortion illegal really believe the poor woman on welfare should be forced to have the baby. We've seen religious countries were a child raped by the father was forced to have the baby. We cannot help people like that, they vote to be treated that way. Let Republicans overturn abortion because there will be blowback.

Quote:
So heterosexual should vote for their interest then and overwhelm the pitifully tiny vote of the homosexual with a tyrannical majority? That's so smart.
I can only speak for my experience and being located in Seattle and working with West Coast companies. My experience has been that the gays I know have been particularly educated and particularly wealthy. When a state in the south says they don't want gays, my immediate response is bring that money and education to Seattle, we'll take it. I would take an educated and wealthy gay into my community over an evangelical any day. That's just my personal experience. I think the reason gays have gained the ground they have, even being a small group, is because they tend to be wealthy and educated. I don't know that that's a stereotype, it's just who I know personally.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Why the complaining? Shouldn't Trump supporters be thrilled to let their dream Supreme Court allow abortion to be made illegal in their red states?

What do you keep babbeling about.? Where do you get this stuff? The Trump core could not care less about it,. There is the evangelical wing that does but that is a about it. Its rust belt blue dog democrats , business republicans, populists and even some disaffected left. The libertarians also prefer Trump over identity politics. You are clueless to the forces arrayed against you which is probably why you were all shocked back in 2016. I support Obama over Romney or McCain. I supported Occupy. I am pro choice. Do you have any idea what's going on other that your false dichotomy?

Old 06-29-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
What do you keep babbeling about.? Where do you get this stuff? The Trump core could not care less about it,. There is the evangelical wing that does but that is a about it. Its rust belt blue dog democrats , business republicans, populists and even some disaffected left. The libertarians also prefer Trump over identity politics. You are clueless to the forces arrayed against you which is probably why you were all shocked back in 2016. I support Obama over Romney or McCain. I supported Occupy. I am pro choice. Do you have any idea what's going on other that your false dichotomy?
I have posted endlessly on Trump's promises to evangelicals, articles by evangelicals, and the list of SCJ candidates that Trump is choosing from that the first criteria is that they are pro life. If asking what I'm "babbling about", why post in the thread? Trump promised numerous times to choose pro life SC nominees that would return abortion to the states. Now he's on his second nominee, both have been pro life and that's the criteria with numerous abortion cases winding through the courts. My state already protects abortion, I don't care what red states do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies